XLVIII

Chapter forty eight

•Morgan•

I'm woken by Romeo's phone ringing, non stop. "Can you answer that", I groan as he turns away from me to pick it up, my body instantly feeling cold.

"Hello?" His voice is raspy, seeing as he just woke up. "What? Max, slow down", he sits up, putting the phone on loud speaker so I can hear.

"—Ava. It's Ava. She's—she's hurt. I don't know if she's breathing", he panics.

"What? Max, what happened. Where are you?" I ask.

"She's in my car right now, I'm on my way to your guys' house. I'll explain when I'm there".

"Max, why are you coming here?" Romeo cuts in. "Take her to the hospital".

"Before she passed out she told me not to; she was freaking out so I told her I wouldn't, so I'm bringing her to you".

"Alright, where are you?"

"I'll be there in, like, five minutes", he says.

"Okay, see you then", Romeo hangs up, dropping the phone on the bed. He groans, rubbing a hand down his face before getting up to put a pair of sweatpants and a T-shirt on.

"I wonder what happened", I mutter as he walks into the bathroom. He mumbles something in response with his toothbrush in his mouth. "That's them", I hear the doorbell ring. As quick as I can, I grab one of Romeo's T-shirt's and a pair of leggings, pulling them on before going down to open the door. I open the door to see Ava limp in Max's arms. "Oh my god. Come on, put on her on the couch", he brings her in, laying her on the couch before taking a step back and running a hand through his hair.

"What happened?" Romeo asks as he walks into the room.

"I was supposed to pick her up today to bring her here, but she wasn't answering her phone, so I drove over to her house and her dad opened the door. He had a bottle of beer in his hand and his knuckles had blood on them, so I pushed past him and saw Ava crying in the corner with cuts all over her face. He came after me and pushed me out of the way, then kicked her in her ribs and punched me, but I pushed him off and brought her here", he fiddles with his hands.

"Let me see", Romeo crouches beside her on the couch, assessing her cuts and bruises. "I'm gonna need to see her ribs", he turns to us. "Should I.." I shake my head.

"Let me change her hoodie into a new one first", I rush upstairs to grab one from my closet before coming back down and ushering the two boys out of the room. Carefully, I switch out her bloody hoodie for the clean one, seeing marks on her arm along the way.