Twenty-Four

Austin has become a regular spectator in my training with Jax over the last couple of days. And they are complete opposites. Jax is encouraging, constantly reminding me that it takes time, but that I am improving under the circumstances, whereas Austin is a jackass.

Apparently, there is a wrong way to fight and of course, he doesn't miss the opportunity to tell me everything I was doing wrong.

Your stance is wrong.

You'll break your thumb if you punch like that.

Why are you looking over there when your opponent is in front of you.

I tried not to get frustrated, but it was hard. I've never been a fighter in the physical sense. I never had to defend myself from an attack, but seeing how much thought actually went into what always looked like impulse choices, was overwhelming.

How do people do it? Not just these wolves, but professional athletes even, how do they clear everything out of their minds that way. Shut off all distractions and remember how to space their feet or the right way to hold a fist, especially in the heat of the fight.

And I never really knew how much my body could hurt before. Muscles that I didn't know I had, aching in places that I wouldn't think they'd be. But I guess that's just a testament to the improvement.

"Mia, can I talk to you," Jax's voice is low, his hand placed between my shoulder blades as he pulls me from my breakfast, "In my office, preferably,"

There is something in his face, a seriousness that instantly sets me on edge. His eyes look past my head and I turn just in time to see the expression on Emily's face drop. 

"I'll meet up with you for more on the Goddess later?" Her eyes meet mine for a second, sadness lurking in her features as she nods slightly watching Jax gently leads me away.

I can't say that what I'm feeling in my stomach is butterflies. I have always attributed butterflies with excitement and this feeling is definitely closer to dread. Silent panic sweeps through me at the thought that he's going to tell me Caspian knows where I am.

I won't know what I'll do, but I won't let innocents fight a war over me. I can't have that weighing on my conscience.

"Please sit, Mia," Jax says, the door clicking softly shut behind him.

I don't move from where I am, instead, as soon as he takes a step away from the door, I blurt out my panic.

"He's found me hasn't he," It wasn't a question and Jax opens his mouth to respond, but I don't let him get a word out, "I'll leave. I won't let you or your pack fight over something as stupid as me. I'm not worth it -"

"Take a breath, Mia," Jax places his hands on my shoulders, watching me carefully as I force oxygen into my lungs, "There you go, just like that,"

He leads me to a chair, pushing down on my shoulders until I sit. I expect him to walk around the desk to sit in his chair, but instead, he squats down in front of me. I watch as his eyes search for something in mine as I focus on breathing, but whether he found it or not, I'll never know. 

"To our knowledge, he doesn't know where you are," he trails off, his eyes are weary as he watches me continue to force the air in and out, his hands folding together between us.

"Just say it," I whisper, not able to take the tension and anxiety.

"Malachi's back at the Concilium," my head shakes on its own as I try to think about where this is going. He got back to the council safe, why'd he want to tell me that in his office. I'm sure everyone would be happy to know that Malachi is back safe.