3. Major

Being back in an imperial uniform was surreal at best and remarkably itchy at worst, and it took me little time to recall why it was I hated the kriffing thing in the first place. The high collar, the unholy amount of starch it took to keep it looking somewhat presentable, the fact it couldn't breathe... All of the perks of serving the Army of the Galactic Empire.

Weaseling my way off of Coruscant had been easier than I anticipated. Whether it was because Venn was lazy or because he had given up on me being an issue, I don't know, but there wasn't anything that came even close to stopping me except my own kriffing conscience. I had Peek stay behind to deliver one final message to my Imperial Cabal cadets. If they felt half like I did, they had an option presented to them - a way out, if they were stupid enough to take it rather than endure the Republic. After I had sent him off, I boarded my old ship and left without a word to anyone else. I had left a note for Brea and Shenna and slipped off into the night, leaving Coruscant behind.

I had floated through space for an eternity before I reached the coordinates that Lorias had sent me, and before long I saw what I was looking for. Nestled behind some Outer Rim dust-ball was a small fleet of Star Destroyers, looking as lethal and deadly as I remembered them being, and I felt that little twinge of pride. The TIE fighters that appeared weren't much of a surprise.

"State your business," One of them came over comms and demanded of me, and I was half confused until I realized that I was in a civilian shuttle and should probably reply before I got blown to smithereens.

"My name is Ithan Ruana, designation TK-65780 of the former Maelstrom Squadron of the Galactic Imperial Army, requested here by order of Director Lorias Dorne and... whatever rank Rhan Kaine is now."

There was a beat of silence where I started making preparations to explode before the same TIE came back over the comms again, "Our apologies, Major Ruana. Admiral Kaine told us to be expecting you."

"How did they convince him to take a desk command?" I laughed as I proceeded to follow them towards the flagship.

"By letting him keep his Interceptor. They can barely keep him on deck," The TIE pilot laughed as he and his partner swapped places. "We've heard a lot about you, Major. A few of my boys remember you and your crew from Yavin. You saved our lives."

"Glad we could have been of service, Pilot."

"Keying you into the Imperial frequency..."

"Are you two done ogling over him?" I heard the traffic control officer groan into the comms. "Get him into Bay 6 before the Admiral paces a hole in the flight deck. I am not getting another reprimand for you two taking your sweet time!"

"Be sweet, Flight Officer. He can hear you."

"That's Commander Soon to you, Lieutenant."

"A little tip, Commander," I chimed in as a leaned back in my chair, "Flexing your rank just makes people want to do the opposite of what you say."

"I... Oh, you are in comm channels... My apologies, Major. Lieutenant Balos... I'm kicking your sheb once we get relieved."

The first of the two TIE pilots laughed before the other finally broke comm silence, "You two are embarrassing and I hate that we work together." His accent was thick and noticeably Rylothian and I had half a mind to ask when we ferried our way into Bay 6 and found ourselves all stepping out of our respective ships to greet Sevens, who was smiling up at me as I hopped down and snapped to attention.

"TK-65780, reporting for duty as requested, Admiral."

"Oh, cut the kark, Dorn," Sevens rolled his eyes as he glanced back at the two pilots who had come to attention a few paces behind me. "I am assuming you've met Lieutenant Balos and Captain Tarkona?" When I turned, my suspicions about Tarkona were correct, and standing in a rather terrifyingly painted helmet was a rutian twi'lek with one mangled, scarred lekku while the other stuck out in back of him through a hole in his helmet.