6. Shadow

I was watching the Summa cut through space when Nyra had made her way up beside me to watch. She let out a small sigh before she began speaking, "I heard about Maelstrom Squadron from some friends on fleet back when I first joined the Empire. The regs all thought you guys were heroes."

"And SpecForce?"

"We figured you were an anomaly. I finally got a peek at your service record," she turned to me and shook her head. "How weren't you a DT? Your training file was insane."

"Ever told Morrissey no?"

"Are you nuts?"

"Would I be here if I was sane?"

Nyra looked at me and chuckled, "Nah, I guess not." She paused an looked back out of the front viewing port with another smaller sigh as she folded her hands behind her back. "Is Venn really as good as they say he is?"

"I don't exaggerate about guys like him."

"Then he'll be fun to fight," she nodded and turned back to me. "I just want to thank you for not questioning me, Major. I get a lot of looks from officers when they see my file and see where I'm from."

"Even with Horran as your CO?"

"Don't get me wrong, he's laid out a few officers on my behalf, but there's only so much he can do against the rank bars, you know?"

Oh, did I ever. You could only stand between your squad and so much flak before some of it would hit them. I knew that Thesh was half of the reason we didn't get annihilated out of existence when we didn't always produce stellar results, and if Aurek had been under anyone else's command... well, he would have been a puddle of dust sitting on some distant planet somewhere long before Jakku.

"Major..." Novaran cleared his throat and made both Nyra and I turn to look at him, he cast a quick glance her way before he stood up slightly straighter and clasped his hands before him, "May we speak in private, sir?"

I nodded and led him back through the corridors to what had once been Thesh's office and closed the door behind us as the motion activated lights illuminated the dark room. I sat down on the desk and raised my eyebrows as a cue for him to speak, but the usually eloquent Chiss seemed to be fumbling for phrasing with the way his black brow settled low over his eyes and the corners of his mouth had dipped into a frown. 

"What is it, Novaran?" I asked as I folded my arms over my chest. "You're not one to get tongue-tied on me like this."

"Forgive me, Major. Trying to find a delicate way to phrase this is difficult."

"Then don't be delicate."

"Ah... Very well. I am concerned, Major. Upon hearing talk of the Jedi, I sensed unease from someone in your crew."

"Who, exactly?"

"Your co-pilot, the Clone called "Hipshot"."

That was news enough for me. I sat forward and then stood up, "How so?"

"The mention of the Jedi and their involvement with Venn elicited a rather peculiar response from the Clone. With your permission, I would like to keep an eye on him."

"What kind of response?"

"I... am unsure. The Clones are more difficult to read then most humans. All I know is that the response was strong and closely guarded. Perhaps  it was a response to his duty, but Robin did not give any response of this kind either. It has me concerned."

That did leave me puzzled. Lorias was working on piecing together full service records for the two of them since most Clone data had been discarded as useless. I couldn't help but wonder who among these Jedi Hipshot would have had such a response too. "Hm... Novaran, keep an eye on him, but do me a favor and don't be intrusive. I need to build up trust with these men and women if this operation is going to work out. I need to know I have them backing me up and they need to feel the same way. Having you watching them like a hawk isn't going to help that."