33. Clients

Thus began our fight with the Resistance, and thus was, in a strange way, the beginning of the end. It was only a matter of time. The fleets had received order to find and track the Resistance fleet, pursuing them for as long as necessary until we had run them out of provisions and fuel. I wasn't exactly sure where the sense in that strategy was considering the fact that we had state of the art ships and solid fuel sources, but we had our orders. Since it seemed apparent that even a brain-dead Nerf could handle the pursuit, Thesh and Sevens were setting us up to go and see if we could ferret out Venn wherever he had slunk off to following our last encounter.

While the brains of our operation were putting their heads together, Sevens, Thesh, and I took some time to observe the fleet... and be disappointed.

"That ship is hideous," I wrinkled my nose as the Mega Star Destroyer lumbered into view. 

Thesh snorted, "Coming from a Corellian, that's saying something."

"Aye, you idiots find buckets with thrusters beautiful," Horran joined in with a raise of his eyebrows.

"I mean... Look at it. It's ghastly," Even Sevens had joined in. "It must eat through tibanna like mad."

"It's just... inelegant," I gestured to the behemoth ship. "Star Destroyers are beautiful, sleek, classic. That's just... ugly."

"Are the aesthetics really that important?" Nyra asked with a cock of her eyebrow before turning to look at us. I think the fact we all turned to her like we were about to ask if she was serious is what prompted the exasperated sigh she gave, "You navy types are weird."

"Dorn's the weirdest of them all," Thesh wrinkled his nose as he turned back to the view port. "I just think it looks like a giant strip of sheet metal."

"Well said."

"Hear, hear."

"And the fuel." All of us gave an exasperated groan when Thesh mentioned that part. "How much are we losing on that alone? Honestly. We could be putting money towards recruiting, upgrading mobile battle stations, increased defense measures, and what do we get?" He gave a dramatic gesture, "Mediocrity incarnate with a Bantha sheb as its commander."

"Ahuff, I am scandalized!" Sevens gave a mock gasp before leaning in conspiratorially, "Do tell."

"You're gossiping like children," Nyra laughed, but I could tell that she was intrigued. She had slowed down on her typing on the console and kept glancing over at us with a smile on her face.

"You know him, Thesh?" I asked, getting swept up into wanting to hear Thesh, of all karking people, start gossiping.

"Canady. Experienced, sure, competent, and an absolute-!"

"General Ruana," one of the communications officers came up and stood by as we all turned to him, "there's a.." he paused and looked down at a datapad before looking back up at me, "Khomo Ordo who wants to speak to you. Claims it's urgent."

"Your brother's on the line, Dorn," Nyra chuckled and looked back at me.

"Did she just call you-?" Thesh went to turn to me as I followed the communications officer from the bridge and into the nearby holocom room.

When we walked in, I was greeted by a dim room and the holographic visage of Khomo, whose face lit up when he saw me. "Oya, there he is! How's it going, vod?" The other communications people seemed more than a little surprised at the casual address that was being thrown around.

"Not bad, Khomo. Color me a little surprised at this transmission, though. What's going on?" I put my hands on my hips as Khomo seemed to rock back and fold his arms over his chest.