Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen

I waved the picture of my perfect hairstyle above my head triumphantly as I entered the salon. Mom shook her head in amazement at my excitement.

“My daughter, the hermit who’s lived in a cave her entire life. Please forgive her. It’s the first time she’s ever seen a pair of hair clippers.”

“Welcome to Coldwater Creek, the Spa.” The receptionist smiled broadly. “You must be the Townsend girls.”

“Yup,” I replied. “That’s us. The Townsend girls, checkin’ in.”

“Right this way,” she said as she led us down a beige hallway. “You’ve got an appointment for an Ultimate Pedicure, followed by an Ultimate Manicure, then we have you off for a thirty minute organic facial and you’ll finish up with a fifteen minute Skincare Consultation.”

“Wow,” I breathed. “All that, Mom?”

“All that, Rin,” she confirmed. “You happy?”

“Most definitely.”

“Rebecca will be your Spa Attendant today. I’m going to put you in her capable hands,” the receptionist said ushering us into the treatment room.

Rebecca greeted us as we walked through the door.

“Hiya girls. I’m Rebecca. This is Karalee; she’ll be helping me out with this treatment today. Are you ready for some pampering? I’m going to give your feet a blissful vacation. During your therapeutic treatment, I will smooth your feet with an earth-based, mineral-rich sugar exfoliant and warmed nourishing, anti-oxidant clay mask. The natural healing properties of our ultra-soothing massage techniques increase circulation and leave your feet feeling wonderfully revived. Following the foot buffing and nail grooming, I’ll apply polish. Your lower legs and feet will be noticeably smoother, with a beautiful satiny gloss. And your toes will be ready for their close-up.”

As we sat down into the zero gravity chairs, Mom looked at me out of the corner of her eyes. I knew she was thinking the same thing. Rebecca had way too much cheery energy. Phew. It was exhausting just listening to her. She put a lavender eye mask over my eyes and a warm blanket over my chest. I was in burrito heaven. The chair leaned back and I felt like a queen. Eighty minutes passed entirely too quickly, in my opinion. Before I was ready to sit up, it was time to lose the eye mask and blanket and move to the manicure and facial area.

“Are you ready for a deeply relaxing and nourishing manicure that will leave your hands soft and silky smooth? You’ll have perfectly groomed nails. I use a unique two-step citrus exfoliation that will restore your skin's natural luster and deliver vital anti-aging nutrients. I also perform a luxurious hand and arm massage with a vitamin C-rich moisturizer. We’ll finish up with a long-lasting polish application. I’ll be working on your daughter, Mrs. Townsend. Kim will be performing your Ultimate Manicure.”

She sounded like she had memorized the entire services menu. Or, it could be possible that she had done enough of these treatments to have memorized the information. Or, it could be that she was required to sound like a product placement robot. There were infinite possibilities.

“Are you ready to talk now, Rin?”

“Not really,” I replied. “I know. I don’t have a choice. I guess I’m as ready as I’ll ever be. Fire away.”

“I understand there’s nothing between you and Marcus right now, but was there ever anything between you two?”

“Wow,” I exclaimed, taken aback by her directness. “You don’t beat around the bush, do you?”