Chapter Twenty Three

Chapter Twenty-Three

I managed to robot my way through the conversation with Jack and Inara. They knew something was off, but they couldn’t very well call me a liar and tell me to man up. They also knew I was hurting. Physically, yes, but the emotional pain was what was distancing me from my favorite siblings. I was there, but I felt like I couldn’t control my own ramblings. I desperately wanted a hug, but my mouth just kept telling them that I was fine. No, I didn’t need anything, just some time to myself to adjust to the news.

“I’m fine. I just want to be alone,” I said in a voice that wasn’t really mine. Meanwhile, my brain screamed, “DON’T GO! HUG ME. HOLD ME. LOVE ME!”

“If that’s what you want, LQ,” Jack said sadly.

He left the room first and Inara closed the door gently behind her.

I flopped down onto the bed, buried my face in the pillow and prepared for another eyeball disintegrating cry. Nothing happened. I turned onto my side and stared at the wall, willing myself to get it over with. No tears came and not a single sob escaped. For the first time since I came to on the mats at Regionals, I was temporarily finished mourning. I knew I wasn’t ready to be done, though.

I heard the door click.

“I want to be alone, Jack.”

That ridiculous lie did it. I dissolved into tears and racking sobs. The spring on the bed creaked and a warm arm wiggled under my neck. Another arm appeared around my waist and pulled me into a cocoon of boy. Definitely not Jack.

Softly, Marcus whispered in my ear. At first it was just shushing and calming noises. Once I'd calmed down, he started talking about football practice, boring classes, irritating teachers, and lunchtime gossip. He was rambling, skipping from topic to topic willy nilly and making almost no sense, but he kept up a steady and soothing cadence.

I had stopped crying some time before, content to lie in his arms and enjoy the warmth and safety. I was afraid to speak, terrified that it would break the spell and he would leave immediately.

“Thank you,” I whispered, as softly as possible, hoping he wouldn't hear.

“Tell me what happened, Rin.”

“I'm cleared to go back to school,” I said bravely.

“That's fabulous,” Marcus replied sarcastically, “but you know that's not what I meant.”

“I know nothing,” I stalled.

“Is it bad?”

“Yeah.”

“I heard you placed at the meet.”

I couldn't help being ridiculously proud.

“Point-oh-two points behind the leader for the gold in all around.”

“And?” Marcus prompted.

“And... I'm done. I can't ever tumble again.”

“Cheerleading?” Marcus asked quietly.

“Nope.”

“I see.”

He pulled his arm out from under me, jostling me slightly and depressing me terribly. His arm never left my waist, though, and my heart soared when he didn't pull away from me. I turned enough to see that he had propped himself up on his elbow. He slid his arm up mine and rubbed my shoulder gently.

“Physical therapy?”

“Yup. Sounds like I'll be seeing a physical therapist for life. Whatever.”