Chapter Twenty Eight

Chapter Twenty-Eight

Everyone was having a blast. The music was loud. Empty bowls were either filled or replaced so quickly it was as if house elves had been set loose at the party and threatened with clothes. Mom and Dad were there, but it didn't really feel like they were chaperoning because the entire family was there. All of our friends were there too, even the ones we'd hoped would not be able to make it. In fact, from what I'd heard at school, this was the party to be at if you were anybody.

Our house wasn't big enough to have that many people milling around, so we had begged Coach Artemov to let us use the gym. And, by we, I mean me. I begged him, and I was practically on my knees. After I'd promised to be entirely responsible for anything that happened and essentially sold my soul, he agreed. When I told Marcus what I had to “pay” to borrow the gym, he'd smiled broadly and then spun me around the room. I'd like to say that he was more excited than I was, and it probably appeared that way to someone who didn't know me, but I was truly thrilled that Coach Artemov had asked me to run the gym. I'd be close to all my friends, it would be a flexible part-time job while I was at the junior college, and it would get me necessary experience that would help me once I became an actuary. I was happier than I had ever thought I could be.

Before the party was in full swing, we bounced around on the spring mats. We ate and mingled with the early guests. Mostly, Marcus and I spent the entire time touching each other. If we weren't holding hands, I was sitting on his lap or on the floor between his feet. I was ecstatic and nothing could dampen the mood.

The slight green tinge to Megan’s face did give me pause, but after a snappish “I’m fine”, I gave up and stuck my worry into a small part at the back of my brain. There is no reason on the face of the earth to piss off a pregnant woman.

After everyone had arrived, Mom and Dad reminded Luka and me that we had presents to open.

“Can't we wait until everybody leaves?” I asked, horrified at the though of that many people watching me open presents.

“Nope.”

And that was that. At first, Luka and I agreed that we would open the presents as quickly as possible, thank everyone as we went, and then get the party going again with as little interruption as possible. We could always send thank you cards later. Mom and Dad had a different idea.

“Why don't you guys sit here and we'll send everybody over one by one when they're ready. That way, the party won't have to stop, and you can have some quality time with your friends. You guys are graduating soon, you know. You might not see these people as much as you think once school is over.”

Mom had a point.

“Alrighty,” I agreed.

Marcus and I got comfortable on the spring mat. He sat with his back against the wall and I sat between his legs. It was nice to have his arms around my waist, even if it did make it difficult to lean forward to open the presents. Luka and Megan decided to sit near us. It took Megan five whole minutes to sit down, no exaggeration, and she still didn’t look comfortable perched gingerly on the edge. She looked like she was going to puke, but she was managing a tight smile and patting Luka's hair.

“Bring 'em on,” I called to Mom, tearing my gaze away from Megan.

Something wasn't sitting quite right with me, but I pushed aside the odd feeling that this was all a setup and decided to be the good daughter and play along. Eventually I would find out what Mom and Dad were really up to, until then I'd just enjoy the attention.

As I expected, family members stopped by first. It seemed to fit into the grand scheme of things.

“I've been deployed,” Jack said unequivocally while dropping his gift in my lap. “It'll be a long time before I get to give you another gift, so treasure this one.”