12. S.T. - Christmas, pt. 1

Start from the beginning

"Maybe she didn't mean it."

"If she didn't, she wouldn't have let me out the door with my bags all packed," she says, leaning back in her seat. "It sucks, you know. It really does, but maybe it was meant to happen. This would be my first Christmas in California, and maybe it's gonna be alright."

"As someone who's been here for a pretty long time, there really is no place like home," I explain. "But I don't think your mom meant that. It's just her anger blinding her. That happens a lot."

Y/N gazes out the window as the sun starts to set. She says to me, "Yeah, it does. I don't even know why we fought about such a silly topic too."

I ask her, "What did you guys fight about anyway?"

"I just told her that I don't have plans to settle down anytime soon," she answers, chuckling a little to ease her sadness. "I mean, there isn't anyone in my life, and I really want to focus on work right now. I'm enjoying where I am in life, but because I'm old and awkward and all my high school friends back in Arizona are getting married..."

"Tell me about it."

"It's stupid, you know," she continues, sighing. "Life was never about following routines. It was always making the best out of things, and sometimes, what's familiar isn't what we need. And maybe Christmas is like that too, you know? Maybe I did need to celebrate Christmas alone, with some Hungry-Man and I'll binge watch Good Mythical Morning videos. What really hurt me was that she let me go like that. We were the only ones we had, and she didn't even bother to keep me around. That's what hurts."

The traffic starts to ease, and we were well on our way to her apartment. GPS starts getting cranky though, as the guy on the radio talks about the solar flare ongoing all around the globe, messing up navigation for everyone. We end up passing by the same street thrice, losing our way until we find ourselves stopping by a skating rink. "Eh, my car led us here," I tell her as the guy handling the rink hands me a pair of skates. "Maybe this could get your mind off things."

"Oh, you know me, Shayne," she replies, grinning excitedly as she takes a pair of skates and ties them. "For the record, I don't know much about this and it's probably gonna be painful. But if you insist."

We both have no idea how to skate, and even though I was very balanced, I was not graceful. Y/N held onto my arm for longer than she could actually stand, and after a good hour or so, we finally let go of the handlebars on the walls and skate slowly, bumping into other people and trying not to annoy them. It was so relieving to see Y/N's smile return, but after it all, we were just so exhausted. We drive to the nearest restaurant, which was Olive Garden. Surprisingly, GMM was being played on the TV, so we dined to Rhett and Link rating candy bars.

"Thanks for doing this," Y/N tells me as we finish eating. "You probably had other plans, but we're nowhere near home and you still... I owe you a shit ton, Shayne."

"You don't owe me anything," I assure her, chuckling. "You needed my help, and I'm pretty sure you'd do the same for me."

She gives me a small smile before gazing out the window. She then tells me, "You know what? Yeah. I would. C'mere."

After paying, Y/N heads to the convenience store next door before buying a couple of drinks. She tells me to drive to this place I've never heard of ever since I came to LA. When we get there with soda bottles in hand, I gaze at the huge screen in front of us. Old and abandoned movie screen at this drive-in theater, but Y/N seems to know her way around as she takes her laptop and a cable. Somehow, it works, and her Netflix home page is reflected on the screen. "What movie do you wanna watch?" she asks me as she tosses me a bag of chips. "It's on me."