Sixteen - The Princess of Pluto

My mind kept wandering to Ivan and what he said on his ship, and if it had any truth to it. I guess it hadn't really hit me all the way yet, because it still felt like a weird dream I just woke from. If he actually was my father, I would have an answer to one of the most painful questions I ever had growing up, even if I hated admitting it to myself. No, it didn't matter if he was or not, I never planned on seeing him again anyway. I had decided long ago that I wouldn't let my dad hurt me anymore. He had no power over my life anymore; he gave that right up when he left my mom and I. Yet even despite all my hate, a nagging feeling kept looming over me about his reasoning. Maybe it was just a ploy to make me pity him, but he seemed like he didn't want my pity. He said he only wanted my understanding, nothing more. Maybe I could do that at least.

Our crew raced back through the Granger galaxy and towards the Milky Way. Kreg was all adventured out, and he was ready to settle down on Earth. He had helped us rescue Ara, and now it was our turn to return the favor and offer him sanctuary on the only planet truly safe from Neo threat. It was also a good idea since Kreg had a pretty high bounty on his head. The Bloodhounds would've been after him if Ara's own bounty as Ronin weren't double that.

I told my friends that I made a deal with Ivan, which wasn't too far from the truth. However, I never told them what was actually said, only that we wouldn't need to worry about the Bloodhounds anymore. My crew seemed pretty skeptical at first, but when Ivan's ship departed towards the opposite edge of the universe as we were heading, they sighed relief and turned their attention to other things.

A few days later, we were within our galaxy again, and I had a sudden impulse. "Hey, can we make one last stop?" I whispered to Dyrnitix in the copilot's seat. Kreg was busy snoring away in his pilot's chair, and Ara was asleep in the back. I didn't want to wake them. "It'll be really quick, I promise."

"Where would that be?" came Dyrnitix's quizzical response.

"Pluto," I said.

"Ah," he remarked, understanding what I wanted. "Of course, my friend."

A few nail-biting hours later we made contact with the surface of the ice pebble of Pluto. It was much smaller than I thought it would be, though much more beautiful. Its towering boreal mountains pierced the heavens in barbed streaks, their ice-capped tips seemingly powdered with crystal glass. The sun splintered the yawning valleys and abysmal chasms that raced in furious streams across the landscape, as if trying to escape the light in endless futility. Upon the highest peak of the solar-facing mountain stood an arching structure, barely visible as a silhouette of almost Gothic spires.

As I entered the airlock and reached for the eject button, a firm hand clasped my arm. I looked back to see Ara grabbing me, a stern look on her brow as she fearlessly touched my bear skin. I gazed down at her hand, its tender coils wrapped with such uncanny energy that I thought my arm might snap in two, and as I raised my eyes to meet her I realized that she knew I was holding on to something.

I sighed. "Did you hear anything?" I asked, referring to the conversation with Ivan.

"No," she stated solidly. "But I can guess a thing or two by your actions. You're not threatened by the Bloodhounds anymore?"

"Not anymore," I replied honestly.

"Then why are you here?" she wondered of our present location. "What are you hoping to learn?"

"I dunno. Maybe something about my mother. I'll regret it if I don't try to find out more before it's too late. Before I go home."

"Home?" she questioned, not sure what I meant by that. "Earth?"