Thirteen - Ronin to the Void

Our ship was running low on fuel, and the four of us were exhausted. We stopped at the closest inhabited city called Shinkodai. Ara seemed hesitant to stop there, asking if there was enough fuel to get to the next solar system, but Kreg stressed the fact that the next place was far too distant for comfort. "Besides," Kreg added, "They've got a nice place we can rest up at.

Ara considered it. "Do they have a shower?"

"Yeah," Kreg said.

So that settled it. We arrived at the blue-green planet smeared with billowy clouds, and for awhile we just orbited the giant sphere, gawking at the subtle rippling motion of the planet's surface. It was almost alive, like the planet Phlyf, ebbing gently as if to exhale the swirly gases above. "Is that what I think it is?" I asked everyone.

"I know nothing of this place," Dyrnitix mentioned.

Kreg chimed in, "It's water, if that's what you think it is. Haven't you seen water before?"

We docked in one of the city's many harbors, and as we exited the craft we were bombarded by the bitter scent of the ocean's salt, mixed with a cacophony of savory and sour scents. I assume most were food, or meant to be food. After walking two feet, I collapsed suddenly. I tried regaining my footing, but I fell down again. I looked up and saw the city swaying up and down, each ramshackle structure bulging and sagging to the rhythm of the massive, sluggish waves that constantly flowed underneath the city.

"Haha," Kreg chortled, his big belly spasming unsettlingly with each monstrous giggle. "You two still gotta get your sea legs."

I looked over to see Dyrnitix wobble awkwardly before falling down next to me. At least I wasn't the only one looking like an idiot who didn't know how to walk. Kreg offered a meaty hand to Dyrnitix, who accepted and almost flew off the ground by the strength of the ex-Neo. Ara came to me and offered her own hand to me, but I shook my hand and told her I would be alright. She frowned, but didn't say anything.

About an hour later, we checked in to the hotel, if you want to call it a hotel. It was a modest building, but definitely not something I'd pay money for. Good thing it was free, oddly enough. I asked why, but Kreg kinda just said it was a public service thing. I wasn't complaining, it was a place to rest, and if it had a working bathroom like Kreg said that was a plus. I haven't showered since before Ara dropped me off at college, so...

As soon as we made it into the room, Ara ran off to the bathroom and turned the shower on. I saw pieces of clothes tossed from the corner of the hallway, one after another, first a slim leather belt, then the drab brown dress, and finally her panties and bra. I took a step forward unconsciously, debating whether to close the door to give her some privacy. If there even was a door; the room we were in was completely void of any kind of barrier from the main hallway, after all. But maybe it wasn't such a good idea. I might accidentally see her if she wasn't already in the shower, and even if she was who's to say there was a curtain to hide her? Although...

I still really need a shower, too. And we probably shouldn't stay here long... Maybe... she wouldn't mind?

I shook myself out of it and peered around. The other two weren't paying any attention to me; Kreg was snoring loudly on the gravel bed he had made for himself, and Dyrnitix was busy trimming his claws with a dark, curved knife. The tinkling of water splashed inconsistently as Ara shifted, sometimes pattering loudly against the ground, sometimes lulling as it drizzled softly on her skin. I was in the middle, not knowing what to do.

Don't think about that! She can hear you, remember? I said to myself, reprimanding my lewd thoughts. Yeesh, you're such a freakin' perv, man! And in any case, if you accidentally bumped her, um... arm... you would kill everyone in the city. Just find something to do. Go talk to Dyrnitix or something.