Seven - Back to Normal?

After that night, things returned to normal. I went back to class, managing to give my teachers the excuse that I was sick, but it was a little harder to convince Liz and Nate. I was roommates with Nate, so he would've figured out if I were lying about something like that or not. I didn't tell the truth to them either, because I knew they wouldn't believe me. I basically told them I left the game night to stay at my foster house. They both knew I hated that place, but I did often go there to hang out with Jim for advice or to cool off. Jim was like the father I never had, an overall good guy. He was there when my mom died, after all, and he took me in when the rest of my family turned their back.

But things were never really the same after that, as much as I wanted them to be. I dreaded looking up at the stars, and I became paranoid at every thought I had. I mean, I knew Ara wouldn't do anything like that, but it made me self-conscious nonetheless. When I returned to my astrology class, the professor didn't even seem to notice my presence, or make a comment about my absence. The preppy guy I sat next to last time made a snide comment about getting abducted by aliens, mentioning the 'crazy space chick' who also happened to miss class the same day I had. After classes that first day back to school, I couldn't sleep the entire night, and I felt like a sleep-deprived zombie the next day.

I decided to go to Jim's house that night, hoping talking to him would help get rid of my insomnia. It helped with my alibi, at least. When I arrived at the shabby yet modest house that I grew up in, I was greeted by a man who was familiar, yet distinctly aged since I saw him last. He had a stubble of dull brown with patches of gray emerging, and his face was starting to wrinkle from the loads of stress (and laughter, too) that he was experiencing by raising a house-full of edgy orphans. Jim greeted me with a warm smile and a massive bear hug. "Leo, it's been so long, how have you been, man?" he asked, surprised by my sudden appearance. "I haven't seen you since-"

"Yeah, I know," I said, "I'm sorry." The last time I had seen him had been two years ago, since I had stayed at Elisa's mom's house near the end of high school and up until I got a dorm in college. Jim and I didn't exactly leave on the best of terms, but I was glad he was still so easygoing, and he never held a grudge. He told me I should come in and sit down without even asking why I was there. That's what kind of guy he was, so friendly and genuine. I thanked him awkwardly, not knowing if I deserved to be let back in, not least of all since I was over 21 and wasn't legally allowed to live there anymore. I went in nonetheless; I didn't have anyone else to confide in, considering I didn't know how to address Nate and Liz.

As I stepped up the threshold of the house, a sweet smell of fresh baked cookies and coffee hit me, as well as the sour hint of dirty laundry. Dim lights lit up the disheveled living room, the kitchen looked like a crime scene with flour and baking instruments strewn everywhere, and in the hallway stood a hesitant goth girl looking with muted curiosity as I followed Jim to the couch. As I walked, I gazed curiously at the girl. I met her once before I left the house two years ago; I think her name was Lina, but the only thing I could remember about her was that she liked punk rock music and drawing. Jim gestured for me to sit while he got me a hot cup of coffee and a cookie, and I thanked him while I sat and waited.

When he was back, he gave me the cup, which I took and promptly burned my tongue with the scalding liquid. "Careful, it's a bit hot," he said sarcastically, knowing it was too late for my taste buds. Then he changed tones slightly, asking, "So, how are things at school? Make any new friends?"

"You know me," I stated bluntly. "I can't make friends to save my life. Besides, I have Nate and Liz to take care of, and they're a handful as it is."

He laughed lightly, sipping his own mug of coffee. "What about the new girl?" he asked, acting as if he didn't know who he was referencing. He shrugged and gave a coy grin, knowing he couldn't keep bluffing. "Liz told me about her the other day."