Chapter Four

To all those asking where Lexi is...she's coming soon, you'll see.

------------------------

"Wow! It's prettier than I remember!" Lucy gasped as the grand mansion of Professor Kirke loomed closer.

"Peter! Edmund! Lucy!" The Professor greeted after they knocked on the door. The three children hugged the Professor who chuckled and let them inside.

"And where is Susan?" Diggory asked as they all sat down for tea.

Edmund sighed and spoke first. "She has 'grown up' as she likes to say."

Diggory shook his head. "I was afraid that might happen. So tell me, have you all been back?"

Lucy nodded hurriedly and Peter did the same. Edmund fell quiet and stared at his cup of tea. He loved talking about Narnia, but found it hard to because it always resulted in him thinking about Lexi.

"And what say you, young chap? Were the adventures back to Narnia just as exciting?"

Edmund chuckled and nodded. "They were Sir, I've learnt a great deal there!"

"That's exactly what Aslan would have wanted."

"Professor?" Lucy asked.

"Yes, Lucy?"

"Do you still have that old wardrobe?"

Professor Kirke nodded but his eyes lacked the gleam they held seconds ago. "Yes. But I'm afraid you won't be able to return through it, dear one."

"Why not?" Edmund and Peter demanded together.

"Things never happen the same way twice." Diggory repeated Aslan's wise words.

"We could at least try." Lucy suggested.

The Professor nodded and smiled slightly. "I'm guessing you remember the way?"

The three children nodded and stood up. They four of them walked to the 'Spare Oom'.

"Where is Mrs McCready?" Edmund questioned as they reached the second floor.

"The poor woman decided to return to Ireland after her son was killed in action. It's a terrible thing, war."

"It is." Peter agreed.

They reached the spare room and were silenced by the presence of the wardrobe.

"I'm too scared to look now." Lucy admitted.

"What if it's not there?" Peter added.

"I'll look." Ed volunteered. He hoped, with a his might, that it would grant the passage into the forest. He wanted to see her face again and stay with her until death do they part. Edmund walked to the wardrobe, not realising he was holding his breath.

The Professor remained at the door. He was curious to see if the wardrobe would open its portal for them, but knew at the same time that it was unlikely.

Edmund reached out and opened the door quickly, like pulling a thorn from your foot. He reached in and felt through the coats. His hand came in contact with the wood from the back of the wardrobe. He sighed. As did Lucy and Peter.

"Well it was worth a try." Peter said optimistically, breaking the dreadful silence.

"An old friend of mine is coming around soon, Polly Plummer. I'd really like you all to meet her. She was with me when Narnia was created."

"We'd be delighted." The children answered, however their excitement and joy was gone; returning to Narnia now seemed impossible.

---