Chapter Thirteen

The cave was cold and damp. Water dripped from the roof of the cave, making a soft pitter patter on the stone floor. I curled in a ball with my back to the wall and watched the sun slowly set. I couldn't help but worry about the others. I hoped they wouldn't come, but I knew they would.

And then there was Edmund. Where was he? The Queen had him locked away somewhere, and I don't know whe-

"Alexis!" The Witch was back, and her icy voice snapped me from my thoughts. "I have brought you what you want, maybe afterwards, both of your lips will spill easily.

"What are you talking-" I was unable to finish my sentence before she flicked her hand and a body was pushed forwards. It took me a moment to recognise the soft, brown hair and loving eyes.

"Edmund!"

"Lexi!"

We rushed forwards and were about to embrace. The shock of falling through his body did not hit me until I was on my hands and knees. I looked behind me, to see Edmund still standing there, just as shocked as I was.

"Stay there." I said, standing up and reaching out for him. To both of our dismay, my hand travelled straight through his shoulder. "No." I whispered. He wasn't really here.

"Lexi." Edmund whispered. "Find me, Lexi."

"Where are you?"

"I don't know!" Edmund started to fade. The Witch was grinning behind him.

"No! Bring him back! Bring him back!" I screamed at her.

"Lexi! I'm in a cold, dark and very small place. Wherever that may be, I know you'll find me!" He yelled, and finally his body disappeared.

"Where do he go? Where have you taken him!"

"You can have your precious boy back, perhaps, after you have answered all my questions."

"I won't!" I growled stubbornly.

"Oh well, looks like you won't have him after all."

"Like you would even hand him over." I spat and rolled my eyes.

The Witch grinned. "You have a sharp mind." She walked closer to me and grabbed my jaw with her cold hands. "You possess warrior skills and features. Maybe you'll be useful after all."

I snorted. "And you think I'd ever join you?"

"Well, perhaps you would reconsider if your lover's life was at state."

I shut my mouth and looked away. To be honest, I'd do anything for Edmund. "What do you want?"

"Now we're talking."

---
LUCY'S POV

The boat ride to Ramandu's Island felt like hours to everyone and just like the woman had said, there appeared to be a thick, invisible, icy wall surrounding the island.

"How are we supposed to get in?" Peter asked, attempting to row harder, alas, we got nowhere.

"It's blood magic." Rilian sighed, pulling out his dagger.

"What's that supposed to mean?" I asked, watching his blade carefully.

He rested the tip of dagger's blade against his finger and dug into the flesh.

"Stop!" Peter and I shouted, however blood was already trickling down Rilian's wrist.

"Rather me than you." He answered and extended his arm over the boat, letting his blood drip into the water.