Chapter Nineteen

Edmund's POV

"Are you awake?" Jill Pole's voice sounded lightly from where she was lying, a few metres away.

I shifted by body onto my side so I could see her. "Yes."

"Do you ever wonder if there will finally be peace throughout all of Narnia? I've been here a while now, and there's only ever conflict. It seems like the last peaceful breath Narnia had, was back in the Golden Ages, from what everyone tells me."

I sighed and ran a hand through my knotted hair. "I ask myself the same question everyday, Jill. I imagine Narnia a better place, untouched by evil. However, this cannot be accomplished if we do not unite and fight against it. I think many Narnians now believe that it is up to the Kings and Queens of Narnia to protect them, like last time. Unfortunately, things never happen the same way twice..." I trailed off, my mind wandering back to the days where we didn't have to worry about the impending evil.

"The difference is everyone stood together last time. They fought alongside the Kings and Queens rather than waiting on the sideline, like they do today. Isn't that right, Edmund?"

My gaze locked to hers and she smiled sympathetically. "I know who you are, but you can trust me. We're both in the same boat here."

"How did yo-?"

"Guess that you're King Edmund the Just?" Jill finished.

I nodded.

She laughed. "I'm not an idiot. I have eyes and ears and the way you talk about Narnia, you have hope for her. Hope that everyone here has lost." Jill looked away and sighed. "I just wish there was a way to rid Narnia of evil, once and for all."

"Are you a Narnian, Jill?" I asked unsurely; this question had been simmering in my mind for a while.

Jill shook her head. "I come from the same place as you Edmund. London, England."

My eyes widened. "How and when did you get here?"

"This is my second time. I first arrived with a boy named Eustace-"

"Eustace Scrubb?"

"You know him?" She asked incredulously.

"Know?" I laughed, "Eustace is my self-centred, extremely obnoxious cousin. Well was all those things, until he came to Narnia with Lucy and I. This place changed him for the better."

"He saved me once and Aslan sent us on a mission to find Prince, well now King, Rilian. He's a changed boy."

"Is he here?"

Jill shook her head. "I'm afraid not, I believe he is still back in London. Aslan brought me on my own this time, although I think it was Aslan. His presence doesn't seem strong here anymore like it use to."

I nodded and sighed. It would take a lot to win back Narnia and we wouldn't be able to do it on our own. Where were the others...?

---
Third person

"Goodnight my darlings." Susan whispered to the small children tucked away in their beds. Lucy stood outside the door, peering in. Despite her outburst earlier, she couldn't help but wonder how Susan lived now.

"Mummy, what is Narnia?" Little Lucy asked.

Even with the small amount of light peaking through the gap in the door, Lucy noticed how Susan's body froze.

"Yes Mummy, please do tell us." John piped up.

Susan sighed and kissed the little ones on their foreheads. "Narnia is a beautiful world far far away, where there are lots of flowers and dancing fawns and dwarfs and a castle with a King living in it."

"Have you been to Narnia, Mummy?"

"A long time ago." Her voice trailed off. "Now, sweet dreams." She made her way towards the door and Lucy immediately hurried down the corridor. Susan came out of the children's bedroom and jumped in shock to see Lucy waiting for.

"You forgot to mention Aslan."

"Sorry?"

"If you're going to tell them the truth about Narnia, you should at least mention Aslan, Susan."

"Oh Lu, please. It's bad enough for their imagination to be telling them about Narnia in the first place."

Lucy scoffed. "A little imagination never hurt anyone."

"Where are the others?" Susan asked, referring to Peter, Rilian and Lexi.

"In the study, trying to find a way back."

Susan sighed and walked down the hallway to where the group gathered. "You're not going to find a solution in my books."

"Where else do you suggest?" Lexi asked, skimming through page after page. "We just looking for anything to give us an idea of a way to get to Edmund."

"Well then, I'll make everyone some tea and we can work on this together." Susan said. Everyone paused and looked up in surprise.

"No offense, Su, but after everything NOW is the time you decide to let Narnia in again?" Peter questioned, annoyance in his tone.

Susan nodded. "Our brother is missing, I want to help, Peter, but I can't go back. I have children now, I have a family to consider and put first. I'll help you find Edmund but that's as far as I can go."

"Thank you Susan. That means a lot." Lexi piped up. "I'll help you with the tea."

Susan smiled and they left the others in the study. She began to hurry around the kitchen, brewing a pot of English tea. "When you find a way back to Narnia, you won't be coming back will you?" She said solemnly as the water boiled.

Lexi shrugged. "I don't know. If Aslan let's us, I think we will choose to stay. It's more of a home than London has ever been, for all of us."

"Not me." Susan replied in a hushed tone. "Narnia was a burden. I struggled when we were pulled away and just as we settled too. When we came back the last time, I made a promise to myself that I had to forget about it, otherwise all I'd want to do is go back and I knew I never would be."

"Peter did."

"Peter continued to believe."

"You could go back you know. Aslan would-"

"I won't leave my children."

They fell quiet. The silence in the room was eventually filled with the whistling kettle on the stove.

_________________
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everyone!!