Chapter Seventeen

EDMUND'S POV
It seemed, as soon as Lexi and I found our way back to each other, there was always something to pull us a apart later. I longed to be with her, just her and I, in a peaceful place with no burdens. Since I'd left her in Narnia last time, she and I had not had a moment alone to breath the same air and love each other as one. I feared things may have changed, and I wouldn't even know.

Since arriving at the lamppost, two days ago, I'd given up staying in one place, hoping for them to stumble upon me. They weren't coming, I'd have to find a way back to them myself. The question was how and where? Where had the witch sent them? Were they even in Narnia anymore...?

Every few miles, I left a piece of evidence to mark my path. Back in the day, when Peter, Susan, Lucy and I were the kings and queens, and Narnia was peaceful, I could've found my way around with no sight. But now, in the few hundred years I'd been gone, everything was different. There were more trees, overgrown shrubs, villages and rivers than before. Narnia was no longer the Narnia I once knew.

ALEXIS'S POV
John and Lucy had scurried away to answer the door, only to be scolded by Susan. Peter and I looked at each other, Susan hadn't changed much; she was still one for setting and obeying rules.

"Mummy!" Young Lucy called down the hallway. "There's a girl and boy at the front door, I think they're looking for you!"

My head jolted up and I leaned towards the hallway to catch a glimpse of the strangers at the door. Out of the corner of my eye, I could see Peter mimicking my actions. Much to our strong pleasure and disbelief, Lucy and Rilian stood at the end.

"Oh thank the heavens!" Peter exclaimed, and hurried down the hallway to pull Lucy into a warm embrace. I did the same, pushing past Susan and engulfing Rilian. "We hoped you hadn't have gone too far!" Peter sighed, giving Rilian and firm pat on the shoulder.

My heart sank when I saw there were only two friendly faces at the door. "Where's Ed?"

"He's not with you?" Lucy questioned, gazing past me and into the eyes of Susan. "Susan!"

"Hello Lucy." She answered quietly, keeping her distance.

"No he's not here." Peter said sternly.

My stomach lurched and my heart throbbed. If he wasn't with us, nor with Rilian and Lucy, he must be alone, either in Narnia or our world.

"We'll find him Lex, he'll be okay." Rilian assured, putting an arm around my shoulder, after notching my expression. "He's a strong warrior."

I nodded, although I could feel my insides shaking and crumbling. Dread overflowed inside of me, and all I could think about was Edmund. Was he okay? Why couldn't fate allow us moments together, in peace, rather than something always drawing us apart?

"And who might you be?" Lucy's voice broke me from my thoughts. She was crouched down in front of the two young children.

"I'm Lucy!" Young Lucy piped up, "and this is my older brother, John!"

"Your name is Lucy? That's my name too!"

"Do we have to do this right on the threshold? The neighbours will talk." Susan ushered everyone inside and shut the door hurriedly.

"Wait, Susan, are these your children?" Lucy exclaimed, closing the door behind her and Rilian. Susan nodded and ushered everyone into the sitting room again. Rilian continued to look around the room, his eyes wide open as he took in every new detail.

"Yes Lucy, they are."

"And you named one of them after me?" Lucy's expression had changed, her voice had lowered and a frown growing on her face.

Susan had not noticed this yet and nodded solemnly. "Yes Lu, you are my sister and I thought I had lost you. I guess it was a way of making up for it."

"You mean to say, after we were locked away in a mental hospital and you did nothing to help us, even though you knew we were innocent, you thought you could make up for it by naming your daughter after me?" By now Lucy was screaming. "You have no idea what it was like Susan! Their methods were vile and outdated! They were torturing us in there and you did nothing but suck up to Mother and Father, even though you knew all along!" I'd never seen Lucy like this before and by the look on Peter and Susan's face, neither had they.

"Lu, calm down." Peter whispered, glancing over at the children who stood wide eyed in the corner, looking between their Mother and Lucy.

"What was I supposed to do Lucy? If I had opened my mouth about Narnia, Mother and Father would've locked me up too. I warned you to be quiet."

Lucy glared at Susan. "Don't even-"

"Alright, alright!" Peter stepped in front of Lucy and put his arms on her shoulders. "I know you're angry but we need to find a way back. Ed is still there and the Witch still has power over Narnia.

"The Witch, as in the White Witch?" Susan questioned.

I nodded. "She's back and unleashed a curse, separating us all."

"Mummy, what's going on?" John piped up, breaking the tension in the room.

"I thought you said witches weren't real, Mummy?" Little Lucy added, climbing onto Susan's lap.

Susan sighed. "Children, now is not a good time, how about you run upstairs to the nursery and play with your toys. Mummy will come and get you soon."

"But-" John began but was interrupted by Susan's stern expression. "Come on Lucy." He tugged his little sister's hand and pulled her up the stairs.

"Now, to try and get an idea of everything here, what year is it Susan?"

----
New update! I'm writing the next chapter now so I hope to have it out shortly!

Thanks for all the lovely comments and votes, I love you guys!!