Chapter 62: Ophthalmologist

How did it feel to know that one's predecessor was actually a pervert?

Roel believed that he had just earned the qualification to answer this question. Flustered. Extremely flustered. And embarrassed too.

The usual attitude Roel had with Nora was to 'stay as far away from me as possible', but today, he desperately tried to keep her by his side, not allowing her to stray from his line of sight at all.

Ponte Ascart's diary entries were simply too detailed that Roel felt his fingers and toes curling up. Just from the three entries he had read, he was able to come up with a lot of labels for his ancestor—illicit teacher-student fantasies, 'flat is justice' cultist, and very possibly a lolicon.

"Tsk. That fellow should really be thankful for Prince Wade's rebellion, or else he could have very well been executed by Victoria..."

"Mm? What did you say?"

"No, it's nothing much. How is the tea?"

"Not bad. The teacup is wonderful too. Empress Victoria has a good sense of aesthetics."

Seeing how Nora was focused on other matters, Roel heaved a sigh of relief. It was fortunate that those from the royal palace rarely frequented this place. He would just have to survive these two days and send her off tomorrow night. It would all be good by then.

The reputation of the Ascart House banks on everything that is going to happen today and tomorrow!

Roel thought as his heart pounded furiously. He began putting together plans to keep Nora occupied.

Meanwhile, after Nora finished studying the tea set, she turned to examine the door of the tea room, and she soon noticed something peculiar.

"What's that pinhole on the door?"

"Hm? Isn't that a door viewer?"

"That's why I'm asking why there's a door viewer here. Isn't it something that's normally used only for the door at the entrance? I've been paying close attention and noticed that almost every room in this villa has a door viewer. Is there some kind of special significance to this?"

"No, there's no special significance to it now. Just like what you have said, this door viewer is intended only for the entrance, but..."

Roel revealed a rare gleeful smile as he pointed to the door of the tea room and explained.

"... every single door in the Labyrinth Villa is an entrance in itself."

"What?"

Nora blinked her sapphire eyes in confusion as she tried to process what Roel was driving at. On the other hand, Roel also didn't keep her in suspense and revealed the deeper meaning behind his words.

It was not just out of familiarity that Ponte Ascart chose the Labyrinth Villa as the place to bring Victoria Xeclyde to seek refuge. More than that, it was because the layout of this villa was compatible with the labyrinth artifact too.

"The legendary labyrinth back in that era consists of two layers—the inner layer consisting of the villa and the outer layer encompassing the streets and byways outside. The effect of the artifact veils the two layers in fog and partitions them into numerous sections. Whenever a person passes through the boundary of a section, he would be randomly teleported into another section. Unless the person enters the labyrinth in a specific manner at a specific timing, they will never be able to reach their destination. That's also why it was termed as a labyrinth.

"As for the inner layer, it works in the same manner as the outer layer, just that the boundaries are the doors this time around, making every single one of them an 'entrance'. I heard that huge, bulky metal doors were used back in that era, but they have already been replaced with the ordinary wooden doors you currently see. Nevertheless, we still kept the door viewers around for remembrance's sake."