Chapter 176: Their Trail

"You wish to join the Twilight Sages Assembly? This..."

Isabella was just about to give Charlotte some emergency prenuptial advice when Roel suddenly changed the topic. She was surprised for a moment before a relieved but conflicted look appeared on her face.

"Roel, it's good that you have such thoughts, but the Assembly demands a lot. Your strength does reach the required level, but your Origin Level is still far too lacking."

Thinking about the massive snake that had devoured one of the Six Calamities, Sire Darkness, Isabella had no choice but to re-evaluate Roel's fighting prowess. She had no idea how he managed to contract with that kind of god, but without a doubt, his strength was something that was desperately needed by the Assembly.

"Big sister Isabella, I know that there are certain restrictions to the Assembly. Is there any way, even if it's just a clue, that you can give me as to how I can approach the Assembly?" asked Roel anxiously.

Of course, he wasn't asking this because he wanted to join the Assembly. After all, in their time several centuries from now, the Assembly had already vanished from the face of the world. However, there were still many mysteries surrounding the Twilight Sages Assembly that he wished to seek an answer to.

Isabella was the only member of the Assembly Roel had met thus far, and it was clear that she was a core member too. Having no other leads, she was Roel's only way to learn more about this elusive transcendent organization.

Seeing the strong desire for knowledge in Roel's eyes, Charlotte could somewhat guess Roel's intention. So, she grabbed Isabella's hand and spoke up on Roel's behalf too.

"Big sister Isabella, I wish to join the Twilight Sages Assembly too, but I'm far weaker than Roel at the moment. Can you tell me who the founder of the organization is and how I can join it?"

"This... The Twilight Sages Assembly was founded shortly before the end of the previous epoch. I'm not too sure who the founder of the organization is, and I reckon that only the leader knows that."

"Leader?"

"Yes, he's known as 'Great Sage'. This title has only been used by the leader of the Assembly, and based on what he has said thus far, it seems like the position has already changed hands before."

Isabella crossed her arms as she thought about what she had heard from the leader of the Assembly thus far. She took a while to recollect her thoughts before speaking once more.

"'Great Sage' had once said that the Assembly was in a worse position before, and our enemies aren't just limited to the Mother Goddess. Based on past experiences, there's a good chance that he might have to sacrifice himself too."

"!"

Hearing Isabella's words, Roel widened his eyes in astonishment. 'Worse position before', 'past experiences', and 'sacrifice', these words did suggest that the 'Great Sage' title had changed hands multiple times, though there were still no clues as to who they were.

It looked like he would have to try to join the Assembly—assuming that it was still existent in the present day—in order to figure things out.

So, Roel began inquiring into the method of joining the Assembly. Isabella gave the question some thought before pointing out a path to the two children.

"Due to the nature of the Assembly, there could be dire circumstances if a spy were to enter our midst. Therefore, the vetting is extremely strict. Initially, individuals would approach the organization to join, but this method proved too inefficient in terms of increasing member count. As a result, it adopted a recommendation system."