Ch. 38: Sealed With A Kiss

Start from the beginning

Dominic's eyes were bloodshot red. It was odd, seeing someone with sky-blue eyes have such a stark contrast. His hands kept twitching.

"Lauren and I are splitting up," he croaked. "She somehow managed to blame it on me and make it my fault, even though I'd always—"

He broke it off, and Ian awkwardly patted his brothers back, while raising an eyebrow at Naina, as if to say, 'Didn't you see that coming?'

She sharply shook her head at him and listened to Dominic talk from where his head rested in his hands.

"Nothing I ever did was right. I should've known, and I still feel like an ass, Naina. I'm so sorry for treating you that way and allowing them to do the same." Nic sat up, swallowed again and cleared his throat. "I mean, it was all there. How needy she was, how fast everything was going..."

The divorce would happen in a few weeks. Until then, they were sorting out who got what. Nic would be moving out; he'd already found an apartment near the café, which was thriving due to the late-night college students that frequented it.

Hopefully, he'd be able to move on peacefully.

The fall colors had finally bloomed as trees shed their dead leaves, preparing for the winter months ahead. A chill lingered in the air, tickling an unsuspecting nose or neck.

But one morning, she found herself digging through the suitcases that held all her Indian dressed. MJ had told her it'd be casual but that if Naina wanted to wear something nice, she could.

As long as it wasn't white.

There were several maroon ones she'd managed to get good deals on, a pretty sunset pink salwar kameez and a regular, evergreen, north Indian style outfit with a thin scarf.

The salwar kameez had puffy legs and a cute top designed with jasmine flowers in blue. It'd work well for the reception.

Ian showed up at the clinic in a well-fitting white shirt and black slacks. When he saw her his mouth dropped open and he blinked a few times.

"Does it look alright?" she mumbled. The butt area was a little tight, but she'd be able to sit.

"No, it looks gorgeous, do you even need to ask?" His eyes roamed every inch of her, from her hair to the shoes she wore. "Why didn't you wear something like this to the opening ceremony? Not that that dress didn't look hot on you."

A waggle of his eyebrows sent her lady parts tingling, and those damn sleeves were rolled up perfectly...she groaned internally. "I mean, this is the U.S. I wasn't sure if it'd look alright."

"Of course it would."

He still had a delightful look in his eyes, that set aflame her cheeks every time she'd glance at him. She couldn't help watching him; his hair was gelled back in a sexy way that begged her to mess it up, and his beard, freshly trimmed, only added points to his handsomeness.

MJ gave her a hug when she walked into the venue. They'd set up a number of tables in the backyard and decorated the poles surrounding the dance floor with silk sheets and fairy lights.

The bride herself looked gorgeous in a pale purple evening gown with off-the-shoulder sleeves and perfectly done make-up and hair done in an intricate plait. Small crystal beads twinkled in the fiery red updo, matching the lights surrounding the floor.

They'd literally walked into a magical forest. In the beautiful fall sunset, the dance floor glowed a warm orange.

Naina introduced herself to MJ's family, as well as the groom, Brody.