~12~ Apologies

Race

I really don't want to go back to school. Going to school means seeing Spot, and even though it's been over a month since we broke up, the hurt is still as fresh.

I walk over to Albert and Elmers house which is only a block away. They drive me to school because I don't have a car. Sometimes their energy is too much to handle this early but I manage.

The two seem to be buzzing with even more excitement than normal when I get there. They are standing in the driveway waiting for me despite the fact that it's freezing outside. When they see me their faces light up.

"What's got you two so excited this morning?" I ask when I come to a stop next to them.

"You'll see." Albert says with a big wink. I don't really know what to make of that.

Elmer elbows him in the side which causes him to clutch his stomach. "Shut up Albe."

"So I'm guessing your not going to tell me?" I ask staring at them.

"Nope!" Elmer starts walking towards the car, which is parked on the side of the street. "Albe you get to sit in the back."

"What? Why?"

"Because you can't keep your mouth shut." He waves his hand towards we. "Come on Racer you can gets the front."

I get into the passenger side and Albert complains loudly as he gets into the back. The two still buzz as we drive to school, seemingly getting more excited. I wonder what this could possibly be about.

——————
Spot

"Does my hair look okay? Do I gots anything on my face? Are my clothes wrinkled? Did I wears a bad outfit?" I'm pacing back a fourth now doubting this plan.

"Spot you look great." Davey says grabbing onto my shoulders. "You're going to do great. Plus it's a simple enough plan, all you have to do is talk."

"Yeah and give em' some flowers." Jack says handing me a bouquet of blue orchids which I know are Race's favorite. I take them and grip the stems tightly, trying to calm my nerves.

"Don't break the flowers before he gets em'." Finch says leaning against a locker. I loosen my grip. "You're gonna do fine Spot. There's no way that he won't take you back."

"Fine is not enough. Racer is worth more than fine." I snap. They roll their eyes, clearly done with my bullshit. "Sorry, I'm just a little tense thats all." They wave me off, used to my outbursts.

Jack's phone goes off. "Alright people. Albert just texted me that they have arrived. All you gotta do is wait for them to leave Race at his locker." He looks at me. "You got that."

I nod. Davey grips my shoulder as the three of them start to walk away, leaving me alone. "You're going to do great Spot." He smiles at me, and I nervously return it.

The plan is simple. Albe and Elmer take Race to school like normal. Then they leave him at his locker alone. His locker is at a corner so all I have to do is hide on the other side and round the corner when he's alone. I also have to try to get him to not walk away.

Albert and Elmer will turn down the same hall I'm in and give me the signal when it's time. It's a simple and stupid plan but I hope it'll work. Race has been avoiding me, so surprising him is our best option.

I can help but nervously fidget while I wait. Davey's encouraging words helped me a bit but I still can't help being scared as hell. What if he's done waiting? What if I took too long? What if he doesn't love me anymore? I'm not sure what I'll do then.