㋡𝐳𝐞𝐫𝐨

I do not own haikyuu nor am I affiliated with any of the owners.

『𝙥𝙧𝙚𝙡𝙪𝙙𝙚』

spike of fate

it wasn't a mere excuse to meet him, but everyone else thought it was.

mid september.

it was your first time at a Fukurodani game. the first match of the season marked your seventh month as a student there

you had gone there out of pure curiosity, though it was a bit late after school and some of the other students had gone to change into casual clothes to return for the match.

you waited and soon you found yourself in the stands closest to the railing near the court. expecting only to be there for a couple of minutes, you sat on the edge of your seat.

eventually, you were seated at the edge of your seat for another reason; so captivated by the match that you found it hard to breathe.

hard to think about the bus schedule.

You played volleyball in middle school but never thought of continuing.

though you enjoyed it before, it was as if you were seeing the sport in a different light.

The players made the game look good, the ace especially.

this is high school volleyball.

now and then you'd find your eyes following him instead of the ball. you watched as he stood to the side and wiped at his face with his jersey, how he raked his hand through his half-toned grey and black hair, how he swung an arm over the dark-haired setter and knocked his back whenever he liked the set.

his broad chest braced whenever the other side served in anticipation and you'd hold your breath for him.

he looked to the stands sometimes though his gaze wasn't specific. his bright gold eyes scanned for someone and when he didn't find them you'd see a flash of hurt in his eyes though he still mustered up a smile as he waved at the crowd.

he kept glancing away with a slight frown and set jaws, slowly.

you couldn't help but wonder who he was looking for.

"focus," you noticed the dark-haired boy mouth to him a couple of times, tugging him by the tail of his jersey. the more times you realized it, the more it seemed amusing.

he'd scream 'mine' whenever he intended to spike the ball. it made you shudder from the aggression.

it was attractive.

and whenever the ball hit his palm or his arms when he was receiving there was a loud sound that sounded painful to replicate and you would wince.

is he okay?

eventually, the stands got more crowded and you were forced to stand as they all did when it was nearing the match point. but it was too crowded, too hard to breathe,

too loud.

you felt dizzy and decided, even though you wanted to see the end of the match, that it was time to get home.

your body was never a fan of large crowds and cramped spaces.

the score was 24-17 with the home team being at 24, and you were trying to get across 'excuse me's over the loud chatter from the crowd so that you could leave the stand.

your body got more impatient as you neared the small aisle to leave the stands.

it really was an accident though it seemed nothing of the sort.

just as the ace was about to set, you had lost all feeling in your body and the raging crowd had managed to push you over the rail.

the rowdy waves of crowds had caused you to capsize.

your consciousness left you in an instant, maybe out of panic, but just before your vision darkened, you noticed the ace's eyes on you with the same intensity he had whenever he was going to receive a hard pass.

reciprocating the same expression he would when he claimed a rebound

'Mine'

it was your mistake for crossing his path.

though you had a hard time regretting anything that involved bokuto koutarou.