27.

•。.:-◦:—:.°.:—:.◦-.:。•

They finally make it back to the apartment building—walking down the empty hallway and as they do, Minhyuk can't stop himself from thinking about recent events. Being open about his past isn't something Minhyuk is used to but when he's with Jooheon, he feels like maybe it's not all that bad. "Thank you for today. I haven't celebrated my birthday like that in a long time but I had a lot of fun."
    "No need to thank me," he chuckles before they meet face to face, "I told you I will repay you for giving me the best birthday ever." A chill rushes through Minhyuk's body followed by a quiet shiver.

Not wanting to make the feeling obvious; he continues the conversation like nothing.
    "We accidentally ran into each other at the mall and I bought you chicken," he says, "You take me to a festival, take me out on a river boat, set up fireworks then surprise me with a cupcake. I didn't expect you to repay me like this." They laugh in unison.

    Their walk continues and it feels like they have been walking towards the door but getting nowhere. That's how it tends to feel whenever they're together; time stands still and they feel like they can be with each other all day.
"What do you normally do to celebrate your birthday?" he asks abruptly and suddenly the door starts getting closer and a breeze passes through as if time suddenly began passing again.

    "Changkyun and I usually just take the entire day off and watch movies." He responds and he notices their pace slowing down further.
Jooheon looks to his friend after noticing the how much slower they're walking "He's never thrown you a party?"
    "He's tried in the past but he's been with me through everything so he knows that since my dad... I just didn't see the point to it. How could I have a happy birthday if I'm not...happy?"
He looks to the side to see Jooheon looking down almost in a frown and realizes how much the energy had shifted. "But today-"
"I'm sorry, Minhyuk. I didn't know, i just wanted-"
"Today was perfect." he quickly interrupts, "Today I was allowed to remember that feeling I had as a kid when I used to celebrate my birthday. Today I felt...good and I have you to thank. I really missed this feeling" They share a smile again, bringing the light back to the hall.

The younger smiles, flashing is dimples as they lock eyes, "I think we thank each other too much. This will be the last time you do so but I would prefer if you just thank me by letting me use your bathroom."

"Oh, yeah, of course." Minhyuk grabs the key from his pocket and suddenly moves faster than before.
After a few seconds of struggling to even enter the key, he finally manages to open the door to an unusually dark room. "Why is it so-"

"SURPRISE!" The small crowd shouted in unison causing Minhyuk to jump in place.

There aren't many people but there are definitely a lot more than Minhyuk is used to. These faces aren't new faces, they're almost all familiar. Kihyun, the pink haired boy from the party. He was beside the good looking guy who introduced himself as Wonho and another handsome man who is very tall with muscles that look like he and Mr. Incredible have the same routine. He can only assume that is Hyunwoo, the other boy Kihyun described as "complicated." That was the only unfamiliar face but Kihyun talked about him enough in the 20 minutes they actually spoke, Minhyuk felt like they were already acquaintances.

   As he walked further inside with Jooheon by his side, he spots Changkyun and Hyungwon walking towards him in excitement.

    Minhyuk met with Changkyun and immediately questioned in a whisper, "Changkyun! You threw me a party?"

   "Hey, hey, don't look at me! Jooheon planned this," Changkyun responded with his hands up in surrender as he motioned his head towards the guy standing next to Minhyuk.

  Minhyuk immediately turned his body to face the younger boy who wore a bright smile on his face. "You did this? When?"

     "Well, Changkyun helped out but yeah this was my idea. I started planning the day after the aquarium and i've messaged Changkyun a few times for help. I wanted to give you a birthday you'd remember like you did for me," Jooheon spoke with a smile that Minhyuk couldn't help but mirror when they made eye contact.

    "Thank y-" Minhyuk began to express his thankfulness but was cut short when a familiar voice called his name.

      "Hey, Minhyuk!"
   "Kihyun, hey," Minhyuk greets the now brown haired guy he met at the party. Luckily for Minhyuk, he seems to be sober this time.

  "This is Hyunwoo—and you remember Hoseok." He points to the two guy standing close behind him as they both extend their arms for a handshake.
           "Yeah, nice to see you again Hoseok and nice to meet you Hyunwoo."

"I hope you don't mind me coming to your party, I know we only just met." Kihyun apologizes.
  "Yeah, sorry about this. I know it's your birthday." Hyunwoo also apologizes.

       "I really don't mind. Besides Kihyun and Hoseok were saying nice stuff about you."
   "Really? Hoseok?" The tall handsome one asked and the air suddenly got stiff. There was a small moment of silence before Kihyun reached his hand out with a bag the read 'Happy Birthday' on the side in yellow letters. "Here," he said "I don't know when you're planning on opening presents but here you go."

   "Oh thanks, you really didn't have to."
"It's okay. It's your birthday...besides, i feel like i owe you."

     "Well...thanks. I'm glad you guys are here." They share a glance and a smile before sitting on the couch to catch up as the two other guys stand beside them.