Chapter 24

Janie listens to Sex and Candy by Marcy Playground, while she sits in the waiting room of the hospital in Houston

            Janie listens to Sex and Candy by Marcy Playground, while she sits in the waiting room of the hospital in Houston. She let Aiden go in with her. She told them she'd meet Norma after, meet the baby that's her sister and that she will be adopting.

Janie begins a game of Crazy Bird when she hears the doors open. She sees Aiden leaving the back and he looks at Janie.

"Come meet your sister, soon-to-be daughter," Aiden says.

Janie turns her music off and she follows Aiden to the back. Aiden brings her to the nursery because once Gennie breast fed Norma once, she didn't want to see her again.

"Is this the new mom?" A nurse asks.

Aiden nods. The nurse leads Janie in and she shows her which one Norma is.

"Oh, she's so little!" Janie coos as she peers at rhe baby

"Oh, she's so little!" Janie coos as she peers at rhe baby. "Can I...?"

"She's yours," the nurse says. "Where is it that you live?"

"Forks, Washington," Janie says.

"I'll get in contact with our local social services and have them get in touch with yours to start the adoption process," the nurse says. "It could take six months to complete. But they can name you the Permian at guardian and we can put miss Norma King in your care. And around May, she'll be yours when the adoption is final. Is that something you're willing to do?"

"Yes," Janie replies. "I'll look after her before and after the adoption. She's my responsibility."

"I'll be back and I'll let you know something," the nurse says and she leaves.

Janie picks up Norma and she tears up. "Hey, baby girl."

Aiden watches her with sad eyes. He's glad Norma is going somewhere where she will be loved. He'd love her but he's choosing life with Gennie over his daughter. Stupid and crazy, he knows that, but he knows Janie will take good care of Norma.

Janie smiles down at Norma as she begins to hum a lullaby, which happens to put the other babies in the hospital nursery to sleep.