Chapter 25

A/N: Hello my lovelies and happy Tuesday! I apologize for the later posting today, but here it is and I'll keep this short.

Question of the week: If you could live anywhere in the world (without worrying about cost of living or money or jobs or anything), where would it be? Total dream location--

For me, there are a few options: Halstatt, Austria (have you seen it? Have you SEEN it?? It's BEAUTIFUL--seriously, check it out), or anywhere in Ireland (because my spirit tells me to be a forest nymph in a long flowing white gown that wanders through woods and plucks pretty mushrooms, PLUS sheep?) What about you guys? Where does your spirit pull you?

Once again, thank you for supporting me and my writing and don't forget to vote, comment, follow, and share! Happy reading! (っ◔◡◔)っ

Two weeks after her parents' death anniversary, Laina packed up her bag, slid off her apron, and waved to Clyde before heading toward the college. Over the last few days, Ethan had grown quiet, intense, more than usual it seemed. She had asked him about it and if everything at work was going alright but he merely waved her off in assured agitation. She normally would have pushed him for a better answer and tried to console him, but she found herself more uncaring than usual, and much busier.

She had scrambled to study and finish her finals for the few classes she was taking. She was working full-time at the cafe and had even picked up an extra shift or two when she realized Ethan wasn't getting home at his normal time and she could get away with it. And in her spare time, she raked over the pictures Harvey gave her, and tried to find something about Ethan that might give her a glimpse at his identity. But she had fallen flat on the latter, much to her increasing frustration.

She wanted to talk to Royce and admittedly, to be with him again. But his visits to the cafe had been scarce. When he did come in, he ordered a black coffee and scone and was back out the door with barely more than a greeting. 

She slid off her thin coat as she walked down Main Street, soaking in the lazy rays of the autumn sun. It had finally started to cool down again over the last two weeks as September transitioned to October. But the humid, summer air, wasn't quite willing to let up in the afternoon.

She was just starting to break out into a light sweat as she stepped into the college computer lab and was swarmed with cool, rushing air conditioning. She stopped at a computer and set her bag at her feet. She pulled out her filled notebook and flipped to the most recent page. She sighed at her lack of notes following 'Ethan Miller' bolded and underlined at the top.

She searched for another hour on his name, on the town, on random facts and stories she knew about him that could help her find something. But she came up empty once again. Her fiance was a ghost online. She knew he didn't like social media, didn't appreciate the internet or really any electronic form of entertainment. But she would have assumed she'd find at least one thing on him. No matter how small that thing might be.

She groaned, pushing aside her notebook. Her stomach growled, mirroring her throaty grumble and she chuckled at the small bundle in her belly reminding her of its hunger. She smiled to herself as she bent over and grabbed a granola bar out of her bag. But as she tugged it out of its pocket, a scrap of paper followed, flittering to the floor. She picked it up and found the headline for the plane crash article that had been written seven years ago.

She sat up straight in her chair and skimmed the article for the hundredth time, her eyes catching on the line mentioning the seventeen people whose bodies were never recovered. She paused as that ache sprouted above her right eye once again. It's happening again, she thought. It's important. Something about these missing people is important.