Chapter 15

A/N: Hello, hello and happy Tuesday! I hope you all had a great weekend and I hope you're ready for some cuteness this week. 

Question of the week: What are your favorite hobbies? I love to write (obviously), but I also love reading, hiking, rock climbing, painting, learning new things--the list goes on. Pretty much anything that allows me to be creative and to push my limits is worthwhile. Oh! Plus beekeeping. I could keep you busy for a whole afternoon talking about bees and how freaken' cool they are. One day I'll have my own hive--one day.

So what do you guys like to do in your spare time? Regular hobbies, super odd or interesting things, unique activities with a niche market of like six people? Let's hear them! I'm interested.

Above I've attached a link to the song they listen to in this chapter. If you have a moment, listen to it. It invites warm nostalgia and lazy Sunday drives and Sinatra's voice is like honey, I swear.

I hope you guys love this week's chapter. It was fun to write and take a break from all the heaviness yet to come in the story. So enjoy and don't forget to vote, comment, follow, and shoot me some messages with any and all questions. Thanks for all your support, lovelies. I hope you have a great rest of your week. (っ◔◡◔)っ 

Royce adjusted his weight on the cracked cushion of the seat and glanced at Laina. He caught her eyes lingering on his chest before she smiled to herself and flushed, dropping her eyes to the scratchy wooden tabletop. He smirked and nibbled on the inside of his cheek before an older woman came up to their table.

She set down two menus in front of them and introduced herself as Madge even though her name tag said 'Betty.' Her hair was knotted at the base of her neck in a messy bun and her skin was loose around her neck and stained dark from years of working in the sun. She reminded him vaguely of his Great Aunt Carmen back in Arizona, except this woman's thick southern accent and plaid country clothes replaced Aunt Carmen's tank tops and quick Spanish curses.

"Our specials tonight include the make-it-your-own burger and the popcorn shrimp basket. Also, all milkshakes and draft beers are 40% off. Can I start y'all off with a drink?"

Royce glanced at Laina to let her go first and she asked for a glass of water with lemon. Royce ordered a water for himself and Madge-Betty turned to get their drinks while they flipped through the menus.

Royce watched Laina over the top of his unfolded menu and followed her eyes skimming back and forth across the papers. She really was a researcher, through and through. When she had shared everything that she gathered at the historian's it caught him off guard to say the least, but now he noticed her talent in everything she did. She was thoughtful, efficient, logical in how she read, researched, and worked. She would be a decent detective if she was ever interested in police work, but her nerves and obvious anxiety would be a larger problem then.

Her honey eyes paused on something on the page and he leaned forward to see where she was looking. The milkshakes, he realized as he found the same spot on his own menu. He smiled to himself behind his menu. For being malnourished a week ago, her sweet tooth never faded.

Madge-Betty came back a minute later and set down their glasses before pulling out a pad of paper for their orders.

Laina ordered chicken tenders and fries and he got the personalized burger. He watched Madge-Betty scribble down all the toppings he listed and once he stopped she glanced between them again.

"Anything else?"

He glanced at Laina, but she shook her head. Later then, he thought, he'd treat her to a milkshake later.