Chapter 5 - Him

Chapter 5

Him

I stood in front of the mirror, fixing my tie. I didn't even want to go to this stupid party. If Sasha hadn't had her doctor's appointment today, I could've used the project as an excuse not to go. That's the only excuse that my family will allow as they take my studies really seriously, seeing as passing in school is the only way I can run the family business.

"Hurry up Ethan, you're going to be late." My mum yelled from downstairs. I was already late by half an hour, but I didn't say anything. I didn't need her mad at me before I left.

"I'm hurrying." I muttered under my breathe, as I buttoned up the last button on my coat. I grabbed my wallet, my keys and my phone. When I was sure I had everything I needed, I made my way downstairs. Mum was by the door, Jason clinging to her leg. "Mama, why can't I go with Ethan, too?" he whined.

"Because it's only for grown-ups, honey." She ruffled his hair and then turned to me, "You do realise that you're already late?" My mother asked. So, she did notice.

"Yes. Yes, I do. But I'm going now, ok." I said softly. "Have you taken your meds?"

"Yes, don't worry about me. Now go on, have fun dear." Right, fun? At a formal party? I couldn't help but scoff at that. I placed a kiss on her forehead, before ruffling Jason's hair and kissing him on the head too. "Come back soon, Ethan."

"I will, champ. Don't give mum a hard time, yeah." He nodded and waved as I made my way towards my car, and then to the venue.

*

There is no way I'm surviving this party. I have been here for a total of fifteen minutes, yet they have been the longest fifteen minutes of my life. And I have another 3 hours to get through.

I eyed the bar. If I hadn't been driving, I would've taken great taken great advantage of it.

"Ethan!" I heard the voice of my Uncle Matt, Mathew Lewis. He was the one guilty of this boring party, along with my Aunt Violetta. I smiled at him. "Hi, Uncle."

"How are you doing, son? Your mum didn't come?" I shook my head.

"She's not well. She mentioned she would call."

"She probably did, I must not have seen it. Anyways, I need to go and meet some people. Enjoy!" He gave me a light slap on my back before going off and talking to the other guests.

I scanned the rest of the hall, and then I came to a quick conclusion that I didn't want to speak to anyone else. I caught sight of Lola and her minions being particularly loud at one of the middle tables. She seemed to be looking for someone, probably me, as she usually does at these events. It would be great if she didn't try and speak to me at all today because I didn't have the energy to deal with it. Not like I ever spoke to her, but she never seemed to take a hint when she attempts to communicate with me even when I reply with cold, one-worded responses.

I eventually decided to head over to the bar. Just because I couldn't drink something strong enough to numb this feeling inside of me, doesn't mean I couldn't drink at all.

I halted in my steps as something caught my eye - or shall I say someone. What was she doing here? Did she lie to me?

I took a second to register how different she looked. Her hair was up, I've never seen in up, in the few weeks I've known her. She was also wearing a little make-up, not too much to the point it looked bad, but enough that made you want to stare in her eyes the whole night. I wasn't talking about me, though.

The dark grey, blue-ish dress she had on made her look like a real-life version of one of the princess cartoons I've caught Jason watching. He claims he was watching it for the princes but whatever.