Chapter 17: Lips & Teeth

Gabriel escorted Sabrina out of the building. River, Ryder and Lupin joined them too as they all went towards the car to go home for the night. Gabriel was exhausted after the long day, but the moment Sabrina had entered his office, the exhaustion had been swept away and never returned. He couldn't explain it, but her scent had been like a breath of fresh air that he craved all day to quench the fatigue. She easily took his mind off his problems, hardships. All he found himself focusing on was her.

"We'll take the other car," Ryder told his twin. Lupin followed Ryder. Sabrina and River had gotten into this car when his wolf's attentiveness had forewarned Gabriel.

Gabriel froze in his tracks.

Twilight had darkened the streets, that were still quite busy with traffic and pedestrians. But why did Gabriel feel exposed? he wondered. There was something wrong and his whole body had sensed it. Gabriel's wolf was alert and ready for the threat creeping in the shadows.

"Gabriel," Sabrina's voice pulled him back. "Are you okay?" her green eyes looked up from inside the car.

Gabriel took a clean sweep of his surroundings again. He didn't see anything peculiar that had warned him. But he never ignored his instincts, especially when his wolf was ready to kill. "Everything's fine," he said to calm his mate. Gabriel made sure that whatever alerted him knew that Gabriel was well aware of the threat, and the threat should fuck off or he'd start his hunt.

Gabriel didn't move until River got out of the car. "What's wrong?" River asked sternly, obviously sensing his alpha's dangerous mood.

Gabriel's gaze was threatening. "We're being watched," his voice a low growl.

River's jaw tightened. "Get inside the car," he said. "I'll get Ryder and Lupin on it." Gabriel wanted to hunt himself and River knew that. "Your mate is with us," said River and Gabriel immediately cooled. "We need to ensure her safety and yours." River was right, of course.

Gabriel got in the car and River texted the alert to his enforcers in the other car.

Sabrina definitely sensed the tension rising in the car, but she didn't ask anything about it. Gabriel simply slipped his hand into hers, she stared at him perplexed, but he wordlessly had reassured her that everything was under control.

River got them to the Centauri territory in due time. They got out of their cars. The lights in the house were on and Gabriel opened the door.

"Is everyone home?" Sabrina asked Gabriel.

"I think so," said Gabriel.

They entered the house. Hailey and Hunter were settled in the kitchen with Klaus making coffee.

"Oh, you are all home," said Klaus who saw Gabriel and Sabrina.

"Hey, Sabrina," said Hailey and Hunter smiled too.

"Hi guys," said Sabrina.

"Where are Viola and Vincent?" asked Gabriel.

"Vincent went to bed early and I think Viola's taking a shower," answered Klaus.

Abruptly, Hailey got to her feet. "We're going to bed too... Er- because Hunter's really tired," she said.

Hunter perked up. "I am?" he asked, confused. He shared a strange look from Hailey. "Oh, right, so sleepy." he faked a yawn.

"I was just going to bed too," said Klaus. "You two can eat alone."

"What about your coffee?" asked Gabriel.