Chapter 21: Predator's Gaze

Gabriel and River had returned to Centauri Enterprise after lunch. They left the foyer and made their way to the busy elevators.

"You alright?" asked River.

Gabriel looked at his side where his buddy always was. "I had some good news to share with you," he smiled.

River's blue eyes softened as he looked at Gabriel too. "I can only imagine the news," he remarked.

"I was actually going to tell everyone tonight," Gabriel shared. Gabriel rolled the kinks out of his neck. "When is this day going to be over?" He complained. "Maybe we should call it a day and head home."

River shook his head. "You're such a slacker."

Gabriel rolled his eyes. "I am not," he muttered. Gabriel looked around and surveyed the crowd around the building. Many employees were either leaving for the evening or rushing to finish last-minute tasks.

"Why are the elevators taking so long?" grumbled River as he hammered the poor button.

"I need the restroom," said Gabriel. He left towards the lonely hall across the elevators, he took the last left. A few employees past by and smiled at Gabriel before they left him on his own. Gabriel entered the restroom when the lights flickered.

Gabriel froze in front of the multiple mirrors.

The lights turned off.

However, Gabriel wasn't a mere human that would be defenceless in the dark. His ears, nose and ever muscle on his body had stiffened, because they were ready to fight any threat. Gabriel knew who had come to attack him; it was the stalker after Sabrina.

Gabriel merely stood in the dark. He wasn't going to instigate any fight right now, it wasn't the time. Besides, his employees were in danger too if this mystery 'killer' got provoked. Gabriel was going to let the attacker do what he wanted for now.

Through the reflection of the mirror, a dark muscular figure appeared from one of the stalls. The glint of silver reflected into the mirror, Gabriel carefully measured the threat and took precaution to guarantee he wouldn't get stabbed.

The man ran forward without any word or warning.

Gabriel rolled his eyes. "How trivial," he mumbled as he stepped to the side sending the attacker straight against the sinks. Gabriel couldn't get a good look of the man because his face was covered by a ski-mask, his big body was covered under a dark hoodie and jeans, he even had leather gloves on.

Despite the concealment, this man was still an amateur. His form was off and he didn't have as much control over his body, unlike Gabriel who had mastered the art of killing pretty much anything. There wasn't much danger, except for the knife the man carried like loose cannon. He swung the weapon around like a lunatic and Gabriel dodged it without worry.

"You're the one that killed Richard Brady, right?" asked Gabriel. The man stiffened. He didn't say anything- he didn't have to because Gabriel already knew the answer.

"Gabriel!" River ran inside the restroom. "Goddamn it!"

"Get out of here, River," advised Gabriel.

"Who's the punk?" River asked Gabriel completely ignoring his alpha's warning.

"Fucking Santa Claus!" retorted Gabriel. "Who do you think it is?"

The stalker turned with the knife and ran for River. However, that was a bad move, because Gabriel was going easy on him, but River would go for the kill any-fucking-time. River grabbed the hand with the knife and twisted it back. He rammed his fist right against the stalker's face. With quick reflexes, River threw the six-foot man over his shoulder outside the restroom.