5

A month had gone by and Jungkook had settled into the Iron House perfectly, he was a natural when it came to settling into a new environment. The other guards treated him with respect, as did he with them and everyone worked together dutifully. The only thing bothering Jungkook was that he was yet to meet his room mate, who had been away at the 76th province. However, he had heard that the man he was to share his room with was Prince Ji Han's closest friend and confidant. Jungkook was nervous because of the expectations this guard had, he was strict when it came to his work as well as very clever, almost 'snobbish' as others would describe him

It had been a month since Jungkook and Areum had met, no doubt was Jungkook beginning to see the light in life; all those years of sorrow and not believing in happiness, everything had changed and he was afraid he may have moved too quickly. He never told Areum though, he kept his secrets from her- not because he was afraid she would judge him but because he himself, hated bringing up his father or his past. He hated reliving those emotions, the memories and was satisfied with where he was in life. But maybe there was a small part of him that wondered, would she leave him? For once someone willingly wanted to be a part of his life, but Areum came from a higher status and that bothered Jungkook the most because of his on going struggle against those who have always had it better than him.

Evening came and Jungkook sat aside from the training course watching everyone pack away and chat, some went off to clean up before dinner others just needed to catch their breath. Amongst the chattering around him Jungkook heard that someone has joined them, he didn't pay much mind and stood up to return to his room. After bathing, Jungkook returned to his room, his hair dripping wet to the ground creating puddles- he never thought it would ever be an issue until he heard the sound of someone kissing their teeth and groaning. "I hope you clean that up" Before him lay who he assumed was Kim Taehyung, in Jungkooks bed.

Jungkook did not know how to make sense of this situation, he was half naked and cold and there was someone in his bed- or what he took as his own bed for the last month, the bigger of the two. "Are you just going to stand there?" Taehyung asked, Jungkook apologised and hid behind the screen that separated the two beds from the changing area, something Jungkook had never used till now. Once he was ready he came out to find the room empty, nervously he prepared himself for the dining hall. He heard enough about Kim Taehyung and how judgemental he was, Jungkook was adamant on making the perfect impression.

...

Jungkook had been at The Iron house for almost a whole year now, and now came the Prince's birthday and along with all the guards, Jungkook was to perform a sword dance to honour their Crown Prince as per tradition. Jungkook found Taehyung to be an odd character, he was somewhat kind but also cold towards Jungkook. In all honesty, Taehyung did not enjoy seeing his Prince admiring Jungkook's skills, in fact Prince Ji Han would enjoy training with Jungkook and Taehyung would feel threatened in his position. Simply because, Prince Ji Han would soon announce who would be appointed General and Taehyung always felt safe knowing he would be the one to fight alongside Ji Han and believed he knew best. Now he has competition, this was a role he always dreamed of ever since he was young. Ji Han and Taehyung had been friends since their teenage years, training together and soon enough fought aside each other on the battle fields- being General is all Taehyung wanted. Jungkook on the other hand, never laid his eye on the role, he didn't even know about the open position, nor did he care for it. Little did Taehyung know that someone else wanted to be General as much as him.

The night before the Prince's birthday, Taehyung and Jungkook awoke to the sound of the horn being blown, an emergency. They both rushed along side forty other guards to Ji Han's house, only to find out that there had been an argument. Ji Han and his bastard brother, Min Yoongi were screaming at each other, no one could understands what was happening. Taehyung stepped up to stand by Ji Han's side as he always has.