Chapter 15 - Open the Gate

Start from the beginning

"I'll be your escort for the afternoon; you see anything you tell me so keep close. Could I have two of the lads carry the crate of tools?"

James and Elliott quickly volunteered, looking to impress it would seem.

"OPEN THE GATE!"

We all stood and watched in ore as a good two dozen soldiers swarmed the gate pulling free its many bars and chains before pricing it slowly open with great effort. As soon as a gap was clear another squad ran through, weapons armed and raised spreading out beyond the border, taking point.

"CLEAR!" Shouted a soldier, beyond the gate. The gate continued to open until it stopped with a clang and the teams began to move out.

"Follow me! Jack announced over the orders of the other soldiers, commanding their own teams to move forwards. "Quickly now."

Lurching forwards we rapidly made are way down the wide road. Shortly before turning out of the main group and into the wild fields surrounding the camp, followed by a few others.

"So Jack, how are things in the world? I can call you Jack right?" Sophie asked promiscuously. I could see Seth stiffening a laugh out of the corner of my eye.

"I don't see why not," he replied straightening up. "And where not supposed to talk to civilians about it."

"Oh, but why? What's little old me going to say to anyone."

"We don't want you worrying," he faltered.

"When I got men like you with your big... guns protecting innocent me?"

"Innocent!?" Whispered Seth. "Is he actually falling for this?"

"Looks like it."

"Well I guess it would hurt anyone...but I could get in trouble."

"Are little secret, nobody's going to know about it."

"Her puppy eyes are almost as bad as yours!" Seth continued.

"What puppy eyes?" I said innocently. Looking up at him, widening my big blue eyes and popping out the bottom lip.

"Okay I take that back! You're actually melting me inside out!"

Satisfied, I let it drop to a smug smile feeling Seth's hand brush mine lightly.

"Well okay then, all I know is that just about everyone had been evacuated into camps similar to this one and they're going to clear through the city's with soldiers and tanks."

"And how's that going?"

"Honestly not well at all, they say it's going to plan but talking to a friend who's on the front line said it was getting worse by the day."

"But you guys have guns and tanks?"

"You would think! But there faster and stronger and surprisingly durable. There nothing like the first wave, almost intelligent you could say."

"Intelligent?!"

"Intelligent, instinct...they have a way of working together. You wouldn't want to meet a large group of them, bad enough one!" And no surprise noise draws them, well vibrations."

"So anything to do with sound draws them?"

"Basically, anyway I've said too much!"

"Well thank you Jack, defiantly satisfied me." And with a wink she dropped back to join use. "You hear all that?"

"We did indeed, you wrapt him right round your finger!" Seth answered.

"What can I say, I have a thing with boys."