Chapter 47 - Back Again

My palms where sweaty, the air barely breathable. I could hear the impatient shuffling of my comrades about me, the hum of the engine masked by the thick canvas that enclosed us from daylight. It wouldn't be long before we stopped. Glancing over at the outline of Jamie, I noticed her clutching at something around her neck, whispering a... prayer?

As if on que the engine cut out and the room was Immersed in silence, I could feel my heart rate increase, the adrenaline already causing through my veins.

"WHAT ARE YOU GUYS WAITING FOR...GO GO GO..." The driver shouted.
Hesitantly, those towards the front shuffled forwards, peaking out of canvass opening, light streaking in. I could hear the front door abruptly open and someone jog over gravel to the back of the truck.

"THAT MEANS GET OUT!"

The person looking out was suddenly pulled through, the entrance becoming a gaping portal of white light. Temporally blinded, I was caught in the mad rush for freedom, missing the final step before hitting the gravel floor hard, knocking the air out of me and leaving me stunned. Moments later I heard the engine reignite behind me, turning up stones as the transit leaped forwards, the pungent smell of car fumes remaining.

Stumbling to my feet in a daze, I felt someone grab me ruffly by the collar, pulling me along as if there life depended on it before whispering one simple word in my ear.

"Run."

And then the smell hit me, the growling met my ears and the fear settled in carving a whole into my stomach. Infected, there was no peace from them! Gritting my teeth I kept my eyes dead ahead, the town surrounding us finally coming into sharp focus. Along side me was Jamie, obviously the one who had grabbed me.

"Now what!" I puffed. I could hear already hear them gaining, temptation succumbing me to sneak a glance. I immediately regretted it, their rotting disfigured body's where barely human!

"The same... as always."

I snorted, but it sounded more like a bodged sneeze. Thinking fast I eyed up the row of houses looking for some sought of exit, there was no way we where going to out run them. "Follow me!"

Taking the lead I leaped over a garden wall charging the front door, I felt like I was in one of those action movies! Bracing myself I leaped into the air crashing into the door shoulder first before awkwardly rebounding off of it and spinning to the floor bellow. Oh... Pain arched through the entire side of my body causing stars to fly across my vision as I attempted to recover.

"Little help Seth!"

Looking up I noticed Jamie holding of one of the infected with a metal rake, the other two rapidly advancing.

Shacking off nausea I stumbled back towards Jamie, pulling off my bag before clouting the nearest monster round the head. It did nothing but slightly misbalance the creature, then again it bought use precious seconds. Grabbing a remnant of the stone wall I quickly turned to face my recovered opponent, the third having decided to scamper after Jamie.

Concentrating on the mutant in front of me I could see a beady yellow eye amongst the flayed flesh of its face watching me, it savaged body making me gag. I didn't even dare breath through my nose, I could taste its putrid breath as it was and it took everything I had to hold my ground. What was it...

With a snarl it leaped into the air, my reflexes barely managing to match its speed as I jumped out of its path, swinging the stone like a mace in the creatures direction.
Weapon met gravelly hide leaving a gash, but it only seemed to encourage the monster, feeding its rage. Narrowly missing another swipe I retreaded, the house becoming awful close, if I was careful it would back me into a corner!

With limited options I tossed the stone at its face, resulting in a sickly crunch, stunning it. Not missing a heart beat I kangaroo kicked the monster to the ground, jarring my own body as I hit the floor. Working through the pain I crawled to the head of the creature, grabbing up the stone on the way before bringing it up high above my head, and sending it crashing down onto its squirming face. It let out a high pitch wail, lashing out blindly, and so I brought it down again, and again, and again staining the stone black with blood. It wasn't until Jamie's pole appeared in its heart that it stopped thrashing, leaving an eery silence.

Jittering, I threw the rock aside gasping for breath, l could taste the rotting meat, its odour overwhelming.

"Seth..." I felt Jamie's hand rest of my shoulder, making me flinch. "We need to go."
I nodded, allowing her to help me up, both our hands sticky and black, bathed in the blood of the infected. I could see the two other corpses not so far off, their lifeless forms riddled with deep gorges. "You made quick work of them," I commented.

"What can I say, I'm handy with a rake."
But I could see it had come at cost, her overcoats sleeve was rent, exposing the skin it protected. I raised my eyebrow, but she shrugged it off walking away towards the door I had attempted to blunder through.

With one smooth motion she pushed the handle down, opening the unlocked door. She looked back at me shacking her head. It was my turn to innocently shrug, shuffling past her into the deserted abode, or so we hoped.