Old Companions

K A Y D E N

"Keith, no offense baby brother, but are you sure just flying aimlessly is going to work?" I asked, looking at the Black Lion which was flying in front of the castle.

The rest of us were all in the castle on the bridge. I was sitting in Keith's chair, twirling my staff in between my fingers.

"We don't have another way-- huh?" Keith stopped talking, all of us looking up at him on the screen.

His eyes were confused before they widened and softened with a bright smile, "We found him,"

"Found who?" Coran clarified.

"The Black Lion found Shiro!" Keith informed and the staff slipped from my fingers, clattering to the ground beside me.

I stood up, looking at the signal Keith sent the coordinates. I turned to Allura, who was already making a wormhole jump. Exiting out, there was a small Galra fighter flying alone in space, the black lion shooting forward and grabbing it with its jaw. I got out of the chair, grabbing my staff, and turning it back into my bayard, running out of the room.

I sprinted through the castle, entering the hangar as the Black Lion landed, placing the old fighter down. I ran to it, kicking open the door and running in, "Shiro!!!"

I ran through the ship to the seat, seeing the figure slumped there. I gasped, pulling off the helmet and smiled brightly as I saw the gray eyes. Shiro's hair was much longer than last time and he needed a nice shave. But he was here.

✧・゚: *✧・゚:* T I M E S K I P *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

I walked out the white lion, the other paladins and I just getting back from a mission. We had taken over a Galra base, the last one in the quadrant we were in. We were constantly going on missions which was nice, but when we weren't, I had decided to occupy myself with the training room. I didn't want another incident like Sven's happening again. Coran was getting slightly worried, saying I was in there more than my brother, which was saying something. And I didn't leave when another paladin used the room either.

I sighed, my exhaustion easily noticeable by the slight dark circles beneath my eyes, going to my room to wash up. I paused outside my door, staring down the hallway before shaking my head. I entered my room, pealing off the paladin armor, and running a quick shower.

Dressed back in my normal clothes, I ran a towel through my now damp purple hair, drying it when my door hissed open, "Hyung?"

"In here, Keith," I called from the bathroom door, Keith's body showing up in the doorway.

He smiled a bit, before it dropped and he said, "I'm going to go talk with Shiro. He can't stay in there forever,"

I stopped my movements, lowering my hand, and placing the towel on the vanity. I glanced at Keith through the mirror, "I'm going to the training deck. If you want to talk to Shiro, why are you here?"

Keith gave me a stern look, "You're avoiding him,"

I looked down in guilt. It was true. I had been staying clear of Shiro ever since we found him. It was a cowardly reason, but it was a habit I honed. To be emotionless. Hiding it all. I know...the moment I talked to the Japanese pilot, everything will crumble down.

"Kayden," Keith sighed, "He's asked of you, ya' know? Shiro's keeping away for a bit because he's lost...hyung, the two of you are really close to one another. I...I think it will do you both some good if you see one another,"