Chapter 28

York, West Riding of Yorkshire

"Shall we sing a song? Something to fill us with enthusiasm. It might get us home quicker." Much was smiling in satisfaction as he urged his horse into a trot to catch up with Robin and Little John. He had been in an unnaturally upbeat mood since leaving Filey earlier that day, and it wasn't difficult for Robin to surmise why. A certain blonde maid was never far from Much's mind these days, and it was clear to see the change she had incited in him. He seemed happier, less inclined to take offence. Less clingy. He was growing into himself, and discovering a life independent of Robin. It was a good thing, but Robin did feel a stab of loss. At times, he wondered what he would without his old friend by his side. But Much deserved love, maybe more than any of them. Robin could understand how he was feeling, for he felt the same way. He was particularly keen to see Marian again, especially knowing that she was now his.
Betrothed. He liked the sound of that, and smiled to himself, pleased with the direction their relationship was finally heading in. Much noticed, reading it incorrectly. As he cleared his throat, Robin stared at him in horror, and Little John turned in his saddle to deliver a death stare.
"If you sing one note, I swear to God.."
Having taken a deep breath to begin, Much deflated quickly and looked at John, offended. "What's wrong with my singing?"
"What's right with it?" John muttered, grouchily.
Behind them, Will, Djaq, and Darren burst into peals of laughter, while Robin grinned at Much.
"Save it until we get home, my friend," he said, and Much shrugged, nonchalantly.
"I might have changed my mind by then," he said, airily.
Robin laughed and winked at his former manservant. "I'm sure you will still be in as good a mood once we reach Sherwood, if not a better one."
Much gave him a wide, genuine smile, and Will sing-songed, "Much is in lo-ove."
"No more than you two are," Much retorted, and Robin laughed again while Will and Djaq quietened, sharing bashful glances.
"Seems we are all getting some happiness," Much continued. "You and Marian, Will and Djaq, Allan and Roana - who'd have thought Allan would settle down! And I've got Eve. I hope, anyway. We just need to find someone for you, John."
Little John side-eyed him and quickly looked away, urging his cob into a trot so he could move on ahead.
"Am I missing something?" Much said to Robin, who could barely suppress a grin. "John's got someone?" He glanced at Will and Djaq. "Well, come on! Tell me!"
"Much, ssh!" Djaq admonished. "You know how private he is."
"But why do you all know and I don't?" Much said, indignantly, as she trotted past him to join John up front.
"Much, it's nothing," Will told him. "He just.. well, he spent the night with my Auntie Annie, that's all."
Much turned to watch John, a smile spreading across his face. "John and your auntie? That old dog. He kept that quiet! But why's he so embarrassed about it? That's great news. I'm happy for him."
The road ahead travelled through woodland, curving to the left and out of sight, and Auden appeared from around the bend, heading back towards them at a gallop. He had opted to ride on ahead under the pretence of checking the way was clear, but Robin strongly suspected that he thought he was above the outlaws and their bawdy humour.
Since Roana had told Robin about Auden's aggressive overtures in the horse barn at Filey, Robin had regarded the other man with mild suspicion, watching as he sucked up to Robert and treated Roana in a very subtly offhand yet vaguely impertinent manner. If Roana hadn't pointed it out to him, Robin would never have noticed. Auden clearly had an agenda, and Robin had been keen to get him away from Roana, Robert, and Eleanor, and safely back home in Nettlestone. It was Robin who had suggested that the Nottingham men returned home with the outlaws, and Roger of Stoke had agreed to give Auden little choice in the matter. It would appear that the Nettlestone man was not as popular with his fellow workers as it had at first seemed.
Setting off from Filey, Auden had joined in with the conversation to an extent, but his attitude verged on arrogant, and his efforts to fall in with Robin were over-exaggerated. Robin had made a point of keeping him at arm's length, and, eventually, Auden had offered to ride on ahead. Robin had accepted with enthusiasm.
But now, he was back.
"Robin, there's something going on," he said as he approached the group, gesturing behind him. "I'm not sure what exactly, but I think someone may be in trouble."
"What have you seen?" Robin said, sharply.
"Well," Auden replied, looking dubious. "I couldn't tell you for certain what's going on, but there is a group of people on the roadside up ahead. Looks like guards hassling normal folk, a man and a woman. I think one of them is hurt, and I think, although I didn't get close enough to see properly, but I think it's Averey and Eve."
In a sudden tattoo of clattering hooves, Much and Little John set off at a gallop, sweeping past Auden and Robin, who stared after them in outrage.
"Much! John!" he shouted, but they were already too far away to hear him. He glanced at Auden, grimly. "Is Marian with them?"
Auden shrugged and shook his head, apologetically. "Didn't see her. Sorry."
They hastened after Much and Little John as Robin struggled to hide his panic. Averey and Eve should have been with Marian. If they weren't, then where was she? He had often worried about Marian in the past. She had a headstrong, self-sufficient temperament, which did not always sit well with his somewhat old-fashioned nature. He wanted to treat her like a lady, as the woman who owned his heart deserved, and had a strong desire to protect her, but, at times, she made it so difficult. She did not want or need that from a man, and was intent on making their union a meeting of equals, continuing to lead her life independent of the expectations placed on her by society. Robin admired her; he couldn't do anything but. Her wilfulness, however, made him nervous, because, one day, she could take one risk too many, and he may not be around to rescue her. He hoped against hope that this was not that occasion.
As Auden had reported, there was a small group gathered on the roadside. Four guards surrounded a figure sat on the grass in an unthreatening manner, while Averey loomed in their midst, standing over the resting figure, protectively. As Robin drew nearer, he realised it was Eve on the ground, and there was a smear of blood on her forehead and in her blonde hair.
Much and John had already reached them, and Eve looked up in woozy surprise as Much flung himself from his horse and rushed to her side.
"Much, thank God! We've been looking for you for ages. Where's Robin?" She began to scramble to her feet, and the men around her moved forward with hands outstretched.
"Hang on, little lady," said a familiar voice, and Robin realised it was Eustace de Vescy of Malton Castle as he pulled up beside the red-headed man.
"Robin," Stusi said, dramatically. "Thank the lord. Young Eve took quite a tumble from her horse and has hurt her head."
Robin glanced at him briefly in a preoccupied greeting before turning to Eve and Much. "Eve, where's Marian?" he said without preamble.
"Oh, Robin." Eve stifled a sob and Much instantly moved closer to her, putting an arm around her shoulder, a stricken look on his face. Eve nestled into his side, wiping her eyes roughly with one hand. "We met a man called Carter on the road home. He— he has taken Lady Marian prisoner at Locksley Manor. He wants to speak to you, or he will hurt her."
"What?" Robin looked to Averey in shock as Eve dissolved into tears, pressing her face into Much's chest.
"The lady Marian is in trouble?" Stusi said, suddenly alert.
Averey nodded, looking at Robin. "It's true. A man called Carter from the Holy Land. He has been looking for you."
"Carter?" Robin shook his head, puzzled. "I don't know anybody called Carter from the Holy Land. Is Marian hurt?"
"Not yet." The simplicity of Averey's reply sent a chill of dread through Robin's being, and he flew into action, firing out orders. "Djaq, Much, Darren, make sure Eve is alright to travel and then follow us. Will, John, Averey, Auden - with me. We're going to Locksley."
"Master!" Much looked at Robin, his expression distraught, visibly torn between his former master and Eve.
Robin made the decision for him. "Much, stay with Eve and look after her. That's an order."
"We will take care of your friends until they're ready to leave for Nottingham," Stusi stated, indicating to his nearest guard, who moved forward to take Eve's horse's reins. "Don't worry about a thing here. Just rescue Lady Marian."
Robin nodded, grimly. "I intend to."

Locksley Manor, Locksley, Nottinghamshire

Guy of Gisborne was tired. The Sheriff had insisted that they travel throughout the night after leaving Scarborough the previous morning, with only a brief stop at the palace in Howden for rest and refreshments. While Prince John had spent the night in opulence, Guy, Alice, and Vaisey had set off again in the very early hours, and been forced to endure a long journey in the carriage, listening to the Sheriff rant about Devereux and Allan, while attempting to snatch sleep at every given opportunity. By the time they reached Locksley the following morning, Guy was exhausted and low on patience, and Vaisey was getting on every last nerve with his upbeat sarcasm and sniping. He seemed to thrive on broken sleep; it made him even more obnoxious and unbearable.
Guy had decided to pop his head in at Locksley Manor as they passed on their way to Nottingham Castle, to check everything was running smoothly. He had no doubt that Sir Edward knew what he was doing, but, as Lord Locksley, Guy had an invested interest in the well-being of the manor, as the Sheriff was fond of reminding him.
The house seemed quiet and shuttered as their small convoy came to a halt in the courtyard, which was unusual. At this time of the morning, the house and surrounding village were generally a hive of activity, with villagers and staff bustling to and fro, and the windows and doors of the manor house thrown open, especially on such a balmy day. But on this morning, the atmosphere was hushed and the house looked closed and empty.
Wondering idly where everybody was, Guy clicked the latch on the door and entered the gloom of the house. As his eyes adjusted to the dim light, there was movement from within; the sound of a sword being drawn.
Tiredness forgotten, Guy was instantly alert. He went for his sword and took in the room, quickly, holding his weapon out in front of him.
The first thing he saw was Sir Edward and Marian, both tied to chairs and gagged with scarves. Marian watched Guy with fearful eyes, and her gaze imperceptibly flicked to the side, letting him know that someone was near.
Guy swung to his right, sword ready. A blond man was stood, half concealed by shadows, a sword in each hand as he regarded Guy, his blue eyes steely.
"Robin of Locksley?" he said, his tone almost friendly and conversational.
"No," Guy replied, vaguely insulted. "Who are you and what are you doing in my home?"
The blond man gave a bark of laughter. "I'm asking the questions here." His expression hardened. "Who are YOU and where is Robin of Locksley?"
The front door, which had swung shut behind Guy, whipped open and the Sheriff stood on the threshold, scowling at the room in general. His gaze alighted on Marian and Edward, and he grinned.
"Well, it's about time somebody gagged that woman," he said, triumphantly. He looked at the blond man, his expression not one to be messed with. "I'm the Sheriff of Nottingham, young man. This house, the land, and everything in it falls under my control. That means you are trespassing on my property." He moved further into the room, flanked by four armed guards, who spread out, swords drawn. "So maybe you can tell me who you are, and why you are looking for Robin Hood."
The blond man, realising he was outnumbered, looked at the newcomers calculatedly, before straightening and sheathing his swords. He crossed to stand before the Sheriff and bowed down low, taking the Sheriff's hand in his and placing a kiss on his insignia ring.
"My lord, forgive me. I come from the Holy Land in search of Robin of Locksley, who killed my brother. As I'm sure you can imagine, I am grieving, and also filled with vengeance. I did not mean to trespass, but I have no idea how to find Robin. As she is his betrothed..."
He gestured behind him in Marian's direction, and both Guy and the Sheriff looked at her, quickly. Her eyes were wide with disbelief above the scarf that muffled her cries.
"Robin Hood's betrothed," the Sheriff said, thoughtfully. "Well, isn't that a turn up for the books?" He laughed and returned his beady gaze to the blond man. "You may rise. Any enemy of Robin Hood is a friend of mine. What is your name, boy?"
The man stood, towering over the Sheriff, and inclined his head, respectfully. "I am Carter, my lord. Your faithful servant."
"Yes, yes," Vaisey waved him off, impatiently. "Carter, you must come to the castle with us, and we will plan Hood's demise in more detail." He clicked his fingers at the guards and pointed at Marian and Edward. "Bring them with us, and throw them in the dungeons."
Edward looked distraught, and Marian tried to speak, shaking her head, vehemently, and struggling against the ropes that bound her.
"My lord," Guy began to argue, and the Sheriff turned to glare at him.
"Are you undermining my authority, Gisborne?"
Guy paused and glanced at Marian, who looked back at him, pleadingly. Then, he sighed.
"No, my lord."
"Good," the Sheriff enunciated, before he grinned at Carter. "Come along, Carter. Now we have his lady love, Hood won't be far behind. You will have your revenge, my friend, just as I will get rid of my outlaw."