Chapter 24

Scarborough Castle, Scarborough, North Riding of Yorkshire

Pierre Devereux hadn't thought that he could love his wife anymore than he already did, but she had certainly proved him wrong.
When Devereux had first met Dulcina all those years before in Sheffield, he had immediately been struck by her blue eyes, the colour of cornflowers, and amazingly expressive. She had been quiet, demure even, acting her role as seamstress to his friend's wife with quiet efficiency. But he had sensed the unbridled passion lurking within, and the longing to meet a kindred spirit.
Devereux himself had been alone for going on three years, ever since the tragic death of his wife, Martha, William's mother, from dysentery. Already notorious and feared in his role as Sheriff of Yorkshire, behind the scenes, Devereux was a devout family man and had worked hard at sustaining a happy relationship with Martha. Her death had hit him hard, but he did not show it. He simply continued in his role as Baron of Scarborough, Sheriff of Yorkshire, and close confidant of Prince John, and grieved in private. It would not have done to show weakness in such volatile times.
Although King Henry had appointed him as Sheriff well before his death in 1189, and King Richard had been happy to allow him to continue in his role afterwards, Devereux had forged a closer relationship with the Lionheart's younger brother, Prince John, who enjoyed visits to Scarborough when he was in the country. It was during one of these visits that he learnt of John's desire to become King of England, and his displeasure at Richard's coronation. Devereux became unwittingly embroiled in John's plan to overthrow the regency and take control of the sovereignty himself in Richard's absence. As this was an impossibility while the Lionheart was still alive, the plan very quickly morphed into an assassination.
Secretly an easygoing man, Devereux nevertheless played his part well, and was dragged into Prince John's nefarious plans more due to his reluctance to say no than any desire to kill the king, whom he quite liked. In reality, Devereux just wanted an uncomplicated life with his wife, while continuing to rule Yorkshire successfully and without restriction. His ability to compartmentalise his life worked in his favour, and Dulcina helped supplement his reputation as an authoritarian with her Ice Queen act.
In private, they were affectionate, loving, and surprisingly down-to-earth. Devereux put this down to Dulcina's influence. Her arrival had injected new life into his existence, and she had opened his eyes to so many different things that he never allowed himself to experience before, due to the expectations placed on someone of his standing. She administered to needs that he had never acknowledged before, and he worshipped the ground she walked on.
He knew her through-and-through, or he had previously assumed so. But the difference in her since her son had appeared on the scene was marked. Devereux had not encountered Dulcina's maternal side. Unfortunately, although she had fallen pregnant twice in their early days together, she had miscarried on both occasions, and she feared that the brutal assaults inflicted on her by her ex-husband had damaged her irreversibly. To save them both from further trauma, she now regularly imbibed a herbal concoction that prevented her from falling pregnant again. Devereux had a heir, and Dulcina's happiness meant more to him than attempting to force something that would potentially cause them both more heartache.
As a result of this, the additional layers to her personality that Allan's presence had incited were a surprise to Devereux, and not an unpleasant one. He observed her with amazement, wondering at her limitless reserves of patience. Allan wasn't an easy man, but Devereux was familiar with the story of the family's past. It hadn't been easy for any of them, and it was a reflection of Dulcina's great strength and tenacity that she had managed to put it all behind her and start again.
Devereux had always known that Dulcina would make an amazing mother, and she was proving him right, even in the face of Allan's occasional truculence and stubborn nature.
"I'm not being funny, but why do you even care? I'm surprised you've not chucked me out on my ear by now, and gone back to pretending I don't exist."
Allan had made similar declarations on a number of occasions, and it seemed to Devereux that they always came hot on the heels of any progress mother and son appeared to be making. Dulcina was the epitome of patience, although Devereux had witnessed her lose her temper at less in the past. She would not hear a bad thing said about Allan, though, claiming his bouts of insolence were a defensive tactic, applied to push her away and so protect himself.
It seemed to be an exhausting task, taking a step forward followed by two steps back, but Devereux understood trauma, if nothing else. He also understood unconditional love, like the love he felt for William, who appeared to be a lost cause. He would never give up on him, though, and would not expect Dulcina to give up on Allan. Insufferable outlaw or not, he was still her son, and therefore, family.
"I've never pretended you don't exist," Dulcina assured him, indulgently, for perhaps the third time. "You're going nowhere just yet, and neither am I."
Satisfied with her answer, albeit (probably) temporarily, Allan shrugged, nonchalantly, and sat back, crossing his arms and looking like a stroppy teenager.
"So, tell me more about Roana," Dulcina said, brightly, knowing where his heart lay and taking advantage of the knowledge shamelessly. "What are your intentions with her?"
For someone so childishly obstinate, Allan was surprisingly candid when questioned about certain things, in particular Roana of Filey. Devereux understood: she was a very beautiful and feisty young woman with an impressive dowry, all of which he had hoped could be brought into the family by William. But, unsurprisingly, William had failed. However, all hope was not lost. Filey could still be obtained, although via a different, unexpected route. Devereux was keen to put his stamp on the area, and increase his status within Yorkshire without having to rely on Prince John and his plans.
"Well, I love her," Allan explained. "But I haven't thought much past that. I don't really have much to offer her, materially."
"Are you betrothed?" Dulcina asked, engrossed.
Allan had the grace to look embarrassed. "I'd like to think so, but we've never really discussed it. I mean, I wanted to, but then her uncle didn't approve of us.."
Dulcina was instantly infuriated. "Robert of Filey did not approve of you?"
"Well, I am an outlaw," Allan said, mildly.
"I don't care," Dulcina said, impassioned. "Do you want to marry this girl?"
"I want to spend the rest of my life with her," Allan replied, sheepishly, as if afraid of ridicule. "She's amazing. I even gave her a ring, but it was made of grass so wasn't really good enough."
Dulcina looked delighted, then glanced down at her hands. She removed one of her many rings and held it up to Allan. "Take this and give it to her."
Allan gazed at the ring. It was a thick gold band decorated with curlicues and set with a ruby that glittered in the candlelight. It was beautiful, and he knew Roana would adore it. But he wouldn't accept charity from his long-lost mother.
He shook his head and looked away. "No, thanks. I'll save up for something."
Dulcina rolled her eyes and grabbed his hand, placing the ring in the centre of his palm and closing his fingers around it. "By God's bones, my boy. You are as stubborn as I am! This ring has been in our family for years and years, passed down through the female side. My childbearing days are over, so it is your future wife's."
Allan opened his hand and stared at the treasure on his palm. He imagined giving it to Roana, and placing it on her finger in place of the grass ring he had fashioned so crudely. It would mean she was his, officially. In his mind's eye, he could see the happiness on her face in that moment, and he felt a warmth emanate from his heart and suffuse his body with the pleasant heat of anticipation.
"Thanks, Ma." Closing his hand around the warm metal, he transferred it smoothly to an inner pocket and then reached for some wine. Although it was rich and sweet and plentiful, he was beginning to miss cider in the forest around the campfire, eating squirrel or whatever Much had managed to catch that day. Castle life wasn't much fun when you didn't have your friends around you, and there was a distinct danger that you could still hang.
"Is Vaisey still around?" he asked, casually.
Devereux stirred and spoke up for the first time since he entered the room. "He is. He and Prince John will leave for Nottingham tomorrow."
"You should go and check on our guests, my love." Dulcina looked at him, meaningfully, and Devereux nodded.
"That is very true. I'll leave you to it." Inclining his head respectfully to his wife, he left the room, and Dulcina turned to Allan.
"Worry not, for Vaisey has no power here. You are quite safe."
Allan gave a humourless laugh. "I've known him for a while now, and he doesn't exactly go by any rules I've ever heard of."
"In this castle, he goes by my rules." Dulcina grinned. "Well, my husbands."
Allan returned her grin. "I've said it before but I'll say it again: you've fallen on your feet here, Ma."
Dulcina shrugged. "We all deserve happiness at some point in our lives, Allan. And, after your father, I think I have earned my right to a better life." Allan looked thoughtful, and she rested a hand on his arm. "And so do you. Roana is your happiness."
Allan gave a bashful smile. "I think she is."
Dulcina clapped her hands in excitement. "Oh, I can't wait to become a grandmother."
Allan's brow wrinkled in consternation. "Wait a minute. You're getting a bit ahead of yourself there, Ma. I mean, Sherwood Forest is no place to raise a child. Plus, we have to defeat the Sheriff first, and then there's all of the robbing from the rich to give to the poor, and all that. No time to settle down and start a family just yet."
Dulcina raised her eyebrows, archly. "Ah, but you'll find the time to try, I expect."
Allan looked mortified. "Ma, I'm not discussing this with you."
"I'm assuming she is still a maiden?" Dulcina continued.
"Ma. No," Allan said, firmly, putting his hands over his ears.
She took hold of his forearms and pulled them down. "Son, I can help you to help Roana. For a girl, the first time can be painful. You have lain with a maiden before?"
Allan faltered and stared at her, his interest suddenly piqued. "Not for a very long time, if ever. What do you mean, painful?"
Dulcina smiled, indulgently. "I will explain everything to you."
"Alright," Allan said in agreement. "But, in exchange for this embarrassing talk, you have to tell me everything that you know about Vaisey and Prince John's plans afterwards. Deal?"
Dulcina nodded, her eyes twinkling with pleasure at the opportunity to be his mother. "It's a deal."

Filey, East Riding of Yorkshire

"Are we nearly there yet?" Much asked for the third time since they had left Scarborough.
"Much, will you stop asking that!" Robin exclaimed, rolling his eyes at Roana. "What's up with you, anyway? I've never seen you so restless without good reason."
After parting ways with Will, Little John, and Djaq at the crossroads, they had continued at a steady pace towards Filey Manor. Thankfully, the rain had cleared up, and the sky was a bright blue ribbon above them, the sun's rays beating down and drying their soaked clothes.
There was no need to rush. For the first time in what seemed like an age, there was no one to rescue, nowhere to hurry to, and nothing to worry about in the short term. However, what should have been a relaxing journey was marred by Much's apparent unrest.
"You do seem to have something on your mind, Much. What is it?" Roana looked at the former manservant, speculatively.
"Oh, it's nothing." Much shrugged it off, casually, pretending to concentrate on the road ahead.
Reading the situation correctly, Robin and Roana glanced at each other and grinned.
"Come on, Much. You can tell me anything," Robin cajoled. "You know that."
Much sighed, and, suddenly, it all came out in a torrent of words, as Robin and Roana had expected. "Well, I'm missing the camp, and Sherwood. It feels like we have been in Yorkshire forever, and I'm growing bored. The horrible weather, the castle, the sea - you know I don't like the sea. Whatever is going on with Allan. I mean, we don't even know what's going on with Allan, and it's a huge inconvenience to be going backwards and forwards between Scarborough and Filey all the time." He shrugged. "I just want to go back to our home, where it doesn't rain all the time. Or, if it does, we barely notice because we can shelter in the forest, under the trees."
Robin waggled his eyebrows at Roana. "And this has nothing at all to do with a certain maid who works at Locksley Manor?"
Much lifted his nose into the air, coyly. "Well, maybe it has got a little bit to do with Eve. But I deserve some happiness and romance, too, don't I?"
Robin laughed. "I'm not saying you don't, Much."
Roana rode up beside him. "So, is it serious between you and Eve, then, Much?"
Much nodded and his face broke into a wide smile. "I think it is, yes."
Robin drew level with him on the other side and reached over to clap him on the back. "Good for you, my friend. I'm happy for you."
Much looked pleased, and Roana added, "We'll return to Nottingham as soon as we get Allan back, which should, hopefully, be tomorrow."
There came the rumble of carriage wheels on the road behind them, and Roana glanced back, idly, ready to steer Pilgrim out of the way to let them past. It was a small convoy; a sumptuous carriage surrounded by six armed guards. They were dressed in familiar colours, and Roana turned back to Robin and Much, quickly.
"It's William," she hissed. "We need to get off the road."
Looking over his shoulder, Robin raised his hood around his face, indicating that Much and Roana follow suit. Then, he kicked his horse into a gallop and they sped on ahead, cresting a small ridge and heading for a copse of trees.
Once hidden amidst the beeches, they dismounted and waited for William's convoy to pass. The carriage seemed to take forever to appear over the brow of the incline. When it eventually did, it rumbled along the road slowly before coming to a stop on a patch of grass beside the copse.
Giving an inaudible sigh of annoyance, Robin looked at Roana and Much and placed his finger to his lips, before hunkering down and moving forwards. Much and Roana exchanged worried glances and ducked down so they were out of sight.
Outside the copse, William had alighted from the carriage and was holding court with his Master-at-Arms. He appeared to be slightly inebriated, and was conversing loudly, waving his arms about in agitation.
"I don't need that blithering old fool anyway," he was saying. "All he cares about is that old whore, and now her thief of a son. I'll go straight to Prince John myself if I need to."
His Master-at-Arms murmured something in reply, and William waved him off, irritably.
"Pfft! It means nothing to me. I'm still on Prince John's side even if Father isn't." He began to fumble with the crotch of his trousers as he walked towards the trees, talking over his shoulder. "Anyway, let me have a piss and then we shall return to Bridlington for the night. Tomorrow, we shall follow the prince and my cousin to Nottingham. I'm not missing out on the spoils when the Lionheart is finally assassinated, and Prince John takes his rightful place on the throne as king of England. I just need to know of Vaisey's plans, once and for all."
"So do I, Bridlington." Robin whispered, grimly. "So do I."