Chapter 37

Nettlestone village, Nottinghamshire

"Much, is there nothing you can say to him to calm him down? He's not going to be of any help to anyone in this state."
After Eve had helped Robin to formulate his plan, he had split the gang into smaller groups and sent them out into Sherwood to gain support and information in the villages and settlements throughout the forest. While Much would have preferred to accompany Robin and provide his best friend with the support he needed, there was Eve to consider, and he also wanted to be with her. Robin had made the decision for him, opting to go towards Edwinstowe and Mansfield with John, while Djaq and Will took Clun and Knighton and the secret village of Second Chance. That left Nettlestone and Taversall and the surrounding areas for Much and Eve with Allan.
It was Eve who spoke now, nudging Much and nodding towards Allan, who was questioning inhabitants of Nettlestone in a forceful, slightly desperate manner. She was worried for him, but she didn't know Allan well enough to broach the subject with him herself.
Allan really should have gone with Will, Much thought, pensively. Much, Djaq, and Eve would have been a much more amenable threesome, and far less taxing on his nerves.
He and Eve watched for a moment as Allan gesticulated wildly at two old women, then visibly rolled his eyes at their reply and sighed loudly, running his hands through his chestnut hair in despair.
Much had to admit that he had never seen Allan so overwrought, even when his brother had been captured by the Sheriff and hung the year before. It made Much slightly nervous; everyone was worried about the girls, and were keen to rescue them as soon as possible. Allan losing the plot on top of that was so totally out of character that it was unsettling.
Much shrugged, his hand twisting around the handle of his sheathed sword, uncomfortably. "I'm not sure there is anything I can say to make things better. I'd probably make things worse!"
Eve looked worried. "What about Djaq? She's more sympathetic." She quickly clasped Much's arm. "Not that I'm saying you aren't. But maybe she can find the right words."
Much accepted her unspoken apology, graciously. He didn't know what to say to Allan, and would rather someone else did it. "I'm not sure even Djaq could help on this occasion. This is about Roana, and I reckon the only person who could settle Allan is Robin. But he's just as worried."
"Well, we need to do something," Eve commented, compassionately, looking again towards Allan, who was interrogating the local butcher. "I understand how Allan feels. But he'll be of no use to Roana if he doesn't learn to control himself."
Much nodded in agreement. He wished he knew what to say to help his friend, but the fact of the matter was, they needed to find Roana, Marian, and Alice, and as soon as possible. There wasn't time for damage control and mollycoddling. But, he told himself grudgingly, there should be time for sympathy.
Allan joined them, his blue eyes wild. "No one's seen anything. We need to move on to the next village, and quickly."
Much cleared his throat, eyeing Eve from the corner of his eye. "Allan. Is... ummm... well, are you alright?"
Allan gave him an incredulous look. "Alright? I'm not being funny, Much, but my future wife has been abducted and is being held somewhere by the man who has already attacked her twice. So, no! I'm not alright!"
He stomped away in the direction of the road that lead to Taversall, and Much looked at Eve and shrugged. "I tried."
"I know you did," Eve said, placatingly, rubbing his forearm gently. "I'm proud of you."
Much beamed at her as a horse-drawn cart pulled into the village square and a familiar figure alighted, shouting his thanks to the driver.
"Is Robin with you?" Brother Tuck said, spotting Much and hurrying over, brushing straw from his robe. "I've been looking for him everywhere."
"He's in Edwinstowe, I think," Much replied. "Is everything okay?"
Tuck grabbed Much's arm, startling him. "We have to find him. I know where the women are."
"Allan!" Much shouted, excitedly.

Laxton Castle, Nottinghamshire

The wooden castle keep sat solemnly upon its small, flat-topped motte as a breeze played lightly over its ramparts. The only sound was the cawing of the ravens who stalked the meagre courtyard and nested in the keep's lofty heights, and the faint whistle of the wind through the battlements. The events of the past few days lingered like an echo in the air, yet the fortress had settled into brooding stillness.
A low yet urgent drumming sound permeated the peace, vibrating throughout the quietude and ruffling feathers as the ravens paused to eye their surroundings in suspicion. It began to grow louder, and, suddenly, horsemen entered the outer bailey in a flurry of hoofbeats, their mounts eating up the ground with their strides as they galloped for the keep. The ravens scattered in a screeching black mass, rising as one and disappearing into the trees on the outskirts of the greenwood.
Robin made it to the inner bailey first, flinging himself from the saddle before his horse had even come to a halt, and immediately readying his bow.
Much and Allan were not far behind, but Allan took the time to tether Pilgrim before he followed Robin into the keep, knowing how much Roana loved the horse. He drew his sword as the rest of the outlaws clattered into the courtyard.
The keep door opened easily, and Robin entered, keeping close to the wall.
"Master!" Much rushed in after him, sword drawn, and Robin raised a finger to his lips.
"Quiet, Much. I don't know how many men will be here."
The rest of the gang joined them in the silent entrance, and Robin glanced at them all, keeping his voice low.
"Much and Allan, come with me. John, Will, Djaq - you take that direction." He paused to regard their newest members. "Eve and Tuck, wait in the courtyard. If anyone turns up," he looked at Tuck's robes, "minister to them."
Tuck placed his hands together and bowed. "Yes, my child," he intoned in a deep voice.
Eve giggled, despite herself, and Allan rolled his eyes, desperate to be off.
"Good luck," Tuck added in his normal voice.
The gang split up and went in their separate directions. Robin lead the way along the corridor that lead to the left of the keep and wound around the lower floor, concluding in the Great Hall. It was empty, as were all of the rooms before it. Retracing their steps, they met John, Will, and Djaq coming from the other direction and headed up the steep, stone staircase.
Allan could sense that the castle was deserted as soon as they had entered, and a search of the upper floors proved fruitless. There were signs of recent occupation; in one room, a barrel of ale was half drunk and another empty, and tankards were littered about the space as if somebody had recently discarded them.
Picking one up, Allan sniffed at the dregs in the bottom and wrinkled his nose. "Looks like someone was having a party."
Robin glanced at him, his expression serious, and Allan's eyes widened in dawning realisation. He slammed the tankard down and raced out of the room and up the steps to the third level. There was one room, at the end of a long corridor, and, as he threw the door open, he knew that Roana had been there. He didn't know how, but he was certain. Yet now it was empty.
He stepped inside, looking around. The room was bare of furniture apart from a rough, straw-filled mattress on the floor. There was also signs of a struggle on the floor; a ceramic shard and a dagger, both covered in blood, and blood spatter in two different areas.
Allan felt his stomach constrict into a tight ball of worry as he approached the specks of blood. Still wet. Somebody had been hurt, and recently.
Robin appeared at the door, looking at Allan and then down onto the floor before him. He took in the weapons and the blood, and a wave of something crossed his face.
"Looks like there's been a fight," Allan choked out, running his hand across his hair in a gesture of hopelessness.
Robin knelt down and picked up the shard, weighing it in his hand as he scanned the area. Much and Little John arrived in the hallway behind him, and took in the scene quickly.
"They've gone," Allan said, bleakly, lifting his arms to indicate the empty room before dropping them back to his sides. "And there's blood."
Much moved further into the room, glancing around before focusing on the shard in Robin's hand. "But this is good," he exclaimed.
Robin looked up at him, sharply.
"They obviously fought back," Much insisted. He took the shard from Robin's hand, examining it. "They'd created a weapon to attack their captors, by the looks of things." He nudged the dagger. "And maybe stole this, too."
Robin and Allan exchanged glances.
"So, you think they might have got free?" Allan asked, hope creeping into his tone.
Much shrugged. "Well, I don't know about that. But they've certainly defended themselves. And where are they now if they didn't get away?"
Robin stood and started for the door. "Let's search the area."
There was the scuff of running footsteps in the corridor and Will appeared in the doorway, breathless. He gestured behind him. "We've got someone. The steward of the estate. He says the prisoners were taken back to Nottingham after they tried to escape."

Nottingham Castle, Nottinghamshire

"My lord, this is completely uncalled for!" Done with imploring and tired of keeping her temper in check, Marian faced the Sheriff in outrage, her hands on her hips. "You make us wear these things," she pulled at her rough wool of her gown in disgust, "you keep us locked up with this," she gestured angrily at Bridlington, "this beast, and now you are going to throw us back in the dungeons. Pray tell me, what is the crime that deserves such punishment?"
Vaisey chuckled and crossed the room to stand in front of her. Roana and Alice flanked her; Roana kept her eyes fixed on the back of Marian's head while Alice surreptitiously snatched glances at Gisborne, who stood close by, itching to touch her.
Vaisey smiled in self-satisfaction, his eyes roaming over Marian's figure in the dowdy gown. "Now, what is wrong with the outfit?" He asked, mockingly. "I think it looks absolutely delightful, especially for three women who are likely to hang in the very near future." He looked at Roana and Alice. "You want to know what your crimes are. Well, isn't that obvious?" He approached Roana slowly, and ran a finger down her arm. "Sister of Robin Hood, a known outlaw, and member of his gang." Roana shrugged him off, angrily, and he smiled, moving on to Alice. He trailed a hand across her shoulders, glancing at Guy, warningly. "Friend of outlaws; attempted to free my prisoners." He walked back to Marian, who hadn't moved, and tapped the back of her hand. "Annoying woman; Robin Hood's betrothed." He glared at her. "Does that explain it in enough detail for you, missy?"
Marian looked away, her expression stony.
"Guards!" The Sheriff shouted suddenly, and six guards clattered into the room. He waved at the three women. "Take them to the dungeons, lock them up, and stay outside their cell until I tell you otherwise. Understand?"
"Understood, my lord," said one guard as he took Roana's arm, firmly.
Recognising his voice, Roana looked up, sharply, and almost smiled to see Burne before remembering where she was. She lowered her eyes and allowed him to guide her on the now-familiar route through the castle to the dungeons.
Once there, they were bundled into the same cell that Roana and Alice had been previously occupied. There was a prisoner in the next cell who was lying on the thin mattress, facing away from them. Roana glanced towards the figure, briefly, before she turned back to the cell door as the jailer locked it with a flourish and a leer in their direction.
"Burne," she hissed, as he and the jailer began to walk away.
Burne paused and half-turned, then spoke to the jailer quietly. The jailer nodded and walked on towards the other guards, and Burne returned to the door.
"I can't speak for long," he said in a low voice.
"Can you get us out?" Marian whispered, fervently, moving to the door and threading her fingers through the bars.
Burne shook his head, regretfully. "I can't, I'm afraid. It's more than my life is worth." He glanced behind him, furtively. "But Sir Guy is working with Robin. Don't worry. Between them, they will get you all out."
Marian looked mildly surprised but seemed pleased by the news.
"And Allan? Have you heard anything about Allan?" Roana asked, fearfully, stepping forward.
Burne looked at her. "Allan will be with Robin." He smiled at her, kindly. "Apparently, he's been frantic with worry."
Tears immediately sprang to Roana's eyes and she dashed them away with the rough wool of her sleeve. She returned his smile and nodded, clearly relieved.
"And Guy?" Alice asked with tentative hope, stepping up to the barred door, placing one palm flat against the wood latticing.
Burne, who was extremely fond of Alice and appreciated the softening influence she had had on Gisborne, moved closer. "He asked me to give you a message. He said he loves you and that he isn't going anywhere without you. Everything he's doing is to keep you safe, and you'll be together again very soon."
Alice smiled, her small face brightening immediately, and backed away, satisfied, crossing to sit beside Roana on the mattress. The two women huddled together, Roana resting her head on Alice's shoulder.
Marian remained at the door. "Thank you, Burne," she murmured, nodding to him.
Behind her, in the adjacent cell, there was movement as the inmate rose from the mattress and crossed to the bars that separated their cells.
"And what about me, Burne. Who's coming to rescue me?" Carter said.