Chapter 3

Nottingham Castle, Nottinghamshire

Alice Moody was in a flap, but nobody would ever have noticed. Inscrutable as always, she hurried along the castle corridor, head lowered and eyes fixed on the bundle of laundry in her arms, her heart-shaped face expressionless. Yet, behind the facade, her mind was a maelstrom of activity.
Later that morning, she was to leave Nottingham and travel to Yorkshire as Sir Guy of Gisborne's assistant. The idea should have filled her with joy - returning to her home shire alongside her love - but it wasn't quite that simple. For one, they would be accompanying the Sheriff of Nottingham and Sir William, both of whom Alice was growing to detest. And, on top of that, one of their first stops on the journey north would be Filey, Alice's home town, where Sir William intended to burn down her beloved Filey Manor.
Alice was filled with such a feeling of dread and fear whenever she thought of Sir William's wicked plans. Lord and Lady Filey were good, upstanding people who Alice cared about deeply, and they didn't deserve to have their home destroyed because Sir William hadn't got what he wanted. Alice wished she could stop him, but she didn't know what to do. She was a lowly servant girl, and of no consequence to a nobleman like Sir William, who only acknowleged the female staff when he was drunk and over-amorous.
Luckily, Alice had managed to avoid his attentions. Her nondescript appearance and reserved nature meant that she easily evaded notice unless absolutely necessary, keeping to the shadows as she did in most social situations. Sir William had little memory for the faces, and, although Alice had travelled for two days with him and Lady Roana on their journey from Filey to Nottingham, he didn't recall her in the slightest.
It was no wonder that Lady Roana had changed her mind about him, although she had never been fully engaged in their betrothal anyway. It was something she had been forced into back in Filey, after a fire at the manor house had burnt down a barn. Subsequent conversations with the Sheriff of Yorkshire, Baron Devereux, Sir William's father, had hinted at his involvement, with the subtle understanding that Lady Roana's acceptance of Sir William's proposal would save Filey Manor.
Alice had never been prouder of her lady than she was in the days following the fire. Lady Roana had accepted her fate with little complaint, despite her dislike of Sir William. She had been intent on repaying Lord and Lady Filey for their love and generosity over the years, and was willing to sacrifice her own happiness for that. But it quickly became obvious that Sir William was a selfish, dangerous man who did not have Lady Roana's best intentions at heart, or those of England. Along with the Sheriff of Nottingham, he plotted to assassinate King Richard, and, in the end, Lady Roana could not bring herself to stand by a treasonous man.
Alice missed her lady, but knew that she had made the right choice by escaping the confines of the castle and finding love with Allan. Because it was love; Alice had witnessed them together, and, in all the years she had been by Roana's side, she had never seen her so moved by another person. Alice was happy that Lady Roana was happy, for everybody deserved their slice of bliss, and Roana's existed in Sherwood Forest with Allan and Robin. Alice's decision to remain at the castle with Guy of Gisborne was her own pursuit of happiness.
Alice had always shied away from male attention, and chose to disguise her flame-red hair, pretty face, and slight, feminine figure from an early age. The moment she lay eyes on Guy of Gisborne, however, had been the moment she set all reservations aside and embraced her passionate nature. It had been love at first sight; of this, they were both certain, and Alice gave up any pretence at self-control in his presence. She could be who she was with him. He understood her.
Alice allowed herself a small smile as she arrived at Guy's chambers and hurried inside, stopping short at the sight of Guy and the Sheriff, deep in conversation. They both looked round at her, Guy with a slight softening of his gaze, Vaisey with a sharp, knowing glance.
"Ah, Gisborne. Here's your little friend," he smirked, raising his eyebrows at Alice. "Ready for your trip to Yorkshire, young miss? I expect you've never left Nottinghamshire before."
Alice stared at him, blankly, her instinctual defence mechanism kicking in, and Guy cleared his throat, his lips twitching very slightly as he acknowledged her game play.
"Alice is from Yorkshire, my lord," he pointed out, his voice level and disinterested. "She came from Filey with Lady Roana."
"Oh, of course." The Sheriff continued to regard her, his eyes narrowed. "She left you behind, didn't she? When she ran off with the outlaws. I expect you'll be glad to watch Bridlington take his revenge in Filey."
Alice looked back at him, boldly, and felt a wave of anger overtake her, breaking through her habitual deadpan expression. "Actually, my Lord Sheriff, I do not agree with Sir William's actions. Lord and Lady Filey have been very good to me over the years. Why does he have to destroy them when he is only angry at Lady Roana? It isn't fair."
Eyes flashing and chest heaving after her outburst, Alice suddenly remembered her place and backed down immediately, lowering her eyes and inclining her head, respectfully. "I apologise if I speak out of turn, my lord. But I feel very strongly about this."
Unaccustomed to being spoken to in such a manner, the Sheriff glared at her in outrage. The moment stretched out, excruciatingly, and Alice's stomach dropped. She had gone too far. But she did feel strongly about it, and she would do anything to save the people she loved. She only hoped that the Sheriff would not punish her for her insolence.
And then, suddenly, he laughed, and turned to Guy, slapping his arm. "She's feisty, this one," he said, approvingly. "I like her. Maybe she can talk Bridlington out of his ridiculous, time-wasting plan, and we can get straight to Scarborough. What do you think, Gizzy?"
Guy, as surprised as Alice, raised his eyebrows. "Can't you put a stop to it, my lord?"
"Well, I probably could. But then we will miss out on all the fun." The Sheriff gave a calculating grin. "Our dear Bridlington is going to end up looking like a complete idiot in Prince John's eyes, and who am I to stop that, eh?"