Chapter 27

Howden, East Riding of Yorkshire

"You know, if you wanted to get me on my own, Ro, all you needed to do was say," Allan announced, airily, with a grin on his face as he and Roana rode side-by-side down the narrow moorland trail.
Roana turned in the saddle to regard him, keeping her expression deadpan even as laughter bubbled within. "I wanted to get you on your own. Did it need to be said?" she asked with a nonchalant shrug.
He laughed before reaching over to pull her into a clumsy kiss that ended abruptly when his horse, Casper, decided to forge ahead and lunge at a particularly tasty clump of grass, dragging them apart.
After a truce was called earlier that day between Devereux and Robert, and Roana had spent time becoming acquaintanced with Dulcina, who, as her future mother-in-law, was keen to involve herself in Allan's life, the outlaw gang had bid their farewells and set out for Nottingham.
Now that the feud was over between the two families, there was no need for protection at Filey Manor, and the Nottingham men had been released from their duties. Roger and Booker had opted to stay on and tie up any loose ends, while Auden and Darren decided to travel back with Robin and reunite with their families.
Roana still felt uncomfortable around Auden, who was continuing to pretend that everything was fine between them, and had developed an over-familiarity with both her and Allan that she did not like. Having not yet had the chance to disclose the story of Auden's kiss to Allan, she suggested that the two of them travel on ahead and meet up with the group in Sherwood the following day. She didn't feel comfortable in Auden's presence; she also wanted to spend time alone with Allan after their enforced separation. He agreed immediately, as she had known he would. There was plenty of time to reacquaint himself with the gang, but their almost constant presence meant that precious moments between him and Roana were few. Therefore, they had broken away from the gang early on and took an alternative route through the Vale of York, planning on eventually following the River Trent to Sherwood Forest.
The weather had turned considerably since the rainstorms of the previous day. The sky was now a cloudless strip of cerulean blue, and the sun beamed down brightly, bestowing its golden glow on the countryside around them. A slight breeze ruffled their horses manes as Allan and Roana skirted a stone wall and set out across the field before them. Larks rose and fell from the meadow like leaves caught on the wind, and there was the heavy scent of meadowsweet and wild garlic in the air. It was an idyllic day, and Roana felt all the stresses of the past few days melt away as she listened to Allan describe his time in the castle. Her fears about Dulcina and Allan seemed ridiculous in the face of the truth, and she felt a little embarrassed to tell him about them. He seemed stunned to hear her admission, and looked at her with wide, surprised eyes.
"Ro, I'm not being funny but what would I want with another woman when I've got you?"
She shrugged, bashfully, and he fell silent for a moment, then gestured to a small pond they were approaching on the right.
"Shall we take a break? Let the horses have a drink?"
Once they had dismounted, loosened girths, and lead Pilgrim and Casper to the water, Allan turned and pulled Roana into his arms, winding his arms around her so she rested against his chest. She nestled into him, slipping her arms around his waist.
"You know, I never thought I needed anyone for the longest time. Me and Tom - well, we coped on our own. We had to, and it just became habit, I suppose. I didn't let myself get close to anyone until I met Robin and the gang. But I still found it hard to trust." He paused to plant a kiss on her forehead. "I know I sound mushy as hell, but I had a lot of time to think while I was sat in that dungeon, waiting to hang, and it needs saying. My whole outlook changed when I met you, Ro. I've never met anyone like you before. You make me feel like I'm somebody important, and not just a member of an outlaw gang. Not just a thief and a pickpocket. You make me feel like I'm worthy of love, and I didn't think I was for the longest time. I want to be a better person for you, and that isn't something I've ever felt before. All of this is new to me, and I love it. I love you, and I'm not giving you up for anyone. Especially not some old woman."
Roana smiled against his chest at the thought of Dulcina described as an old woman, and tightened her arms around his waist, seeking the right words that wouldn't sound inane in response to his sincerity, knowing how much it must have taken for him to speak so candidly. "I'm sorry. I was just so worried, and my mind went into overdrive. I didn't know what to think. But," she tipped her head back to look into his eyes. "I never stopped thinking about you the entire time you were away from me. You're my world." She shrugged. "And I didn't really think you were cheating on me with your mother. It was Much who put that idea in my head."
They smiled into each other's eyes, and Allan said, "Bloody Much," and then kissed her gently, sealing his declaration.
They stood for a moment longer, wrapped in each other's arms, before Casper attempted to wander off and Allan had to chase after and recapture him.
"What did I ever do to deserve this horse?" he asked in frustration, as Casper dodged him neatly.
Roana could barely mount up for laughing as Allan dragged the chestnut out of a patch of wildflowers. The horse had a mouthful of daisies and a mulish expression on his face.
"Stubborn and obsessed with eating. Who does he remind me of?"
He finally managed to mount up again, and Roana had to wipe tears of mirth from her eyes before she gathered up her reins.
"I'm glad you find it funny, wife-to-be." He gave her an amused look and Roana smirked at him, her heart swelling at the nickname.
"I really do, husband-to-be."
He laughed. "We need to find a place to stay for the night, and a decent meal. I'm starving."
The additional time spent with Dulcina and Devereux after Allan's shock announcement meant that they had left Filey later than originally planned. It was already late afternoon and neither of them had eaten since breakfast.
"There is a small town called Howden on the main road," Roana said. "It has an inn with stables. I've stayed there before with my aunt and uncle, and it's perfectly lovely with the most comfortable beds."
Realising what she had said, she looked at him, shyly, and he smiled. "It sounds great. Lead the way."
Howden was a thriving market town, sat on the banks of the great River Humber. Named after the king of the Huns, who drowned in its waters thousands of years before, the Humber was a large estuary that flowed in from the North Sea, bringing with it much trade from further afield. Howden was a town of some importance, small and bustling, and home to a large, sumptuous palace, where Prince John had spent Christmas in 1191.
The Half Moon Inn sat on the main road into the town, a large, raw stone and wood building with a coach house and stables to the rear. A stable hand took Pilgrim and Casper willingly, doffing his cloth cap when Roana discreetly passed him two pennies, a trick she had learnt from her uncle. Despite his nobility, Robert held all staff in high regard, and rarely acted privileged with lower classes. He had instilled the same kindness and acceptance in Roana from an early age.
Allan, who didn't miss a trick, raised his eyebrows, impressed, and curled a proud arm around her waist as they entered the inn. Inside, it was fashioned in rough, dark wood, with tables littered around the room and bright candles in sconces on the walls. A fire burned merrily in an open grate. There was a large man behind the bar who eyed them with vague interest.
"I'd like a room for myself and my good lady wife," Allan announced, and side-eyed Roana, who stifled a grin. She slipped her arm around his waist so they were flush against each other, side-by-side.
"Stabling, too?" The man's expression remained inscrutable.
"Stabling for two," Allan confirmed. "And we need to eat."
The man inclined his head. "Two crowns for a private room, overnight stabling and feed, and two of our finest, home-made steak and ale pies, with a beverage."
"Sounds good to me."
Having grown used to the outlaws rarely carrying money except while distributing to the villagers, Roana was surprised when Allan reached into the folds of his cloak and extracted a bulging coin bag, from which he produced two crowns. She quickly hid her own purse, which she had pulled out in preparation to pay, and watched Allan hand over the money to the barkeep with a flourish. She liked this new side to Allan, which she was gradually glimpsing more of. There was a self-assured confidence to his actions now, which stemmed from an emerging maturity that hadn't always been evident before. She wasn't sure what had incited this change - whether it was the reappearance of his mother, his near escape from death, or maybe even the betrothal - but his whole attitude had bloomed into something more decisive and steadfast. Although she wouldn't change a thing about Allan, this added layer to his personality made her feel warm and safe, and filled her with something akin to desire. She couldn't wait to marry this man.
The food was delicious, and Roana wolfed hers down, not having realised quite how hungry she was. Afterwards, she sat back next to Allan and rested her head on his shoulder. It was unusual to be on her own with him without the rest of the outlaws around, and she wanted to make the most of it, but she was suddenly extremely tired.
"I could literally fall asleep now," Allan announced, echoing her thoughts. He put his arm around her and pulled them both back to lean against the wall behind them.
"The pie was to die for," Roana said, drowsily. "And I think it's definitely killed me off."
He said nothing for a moment and they sat in companionable silence, watching the other patrons in the room.
"We could go up to the room," he said, eventually, attempting to act nonchalant. "An early night and then an early start tomorrow?"
His tone was hopeful yet also cautious, treading carefully in respect of her feelings. Roana had lead an appropriately chaste life and, at nineteen, was a late starter when it came to betrothal. She had previously been reticent about committing herself to any of the men who had expressed an interest in her. Although it was an unpopular opinion among her class, where marriages were generally arranged and based on what each person could bring to the partnership rather than mutual attraction, she had still held fast to the idea that a betrothal should stem from something akin to love, and none of the men she had previously met came close to grabbing her attention. Allan was different. She loved him, and she desired him. She felt ready to take their relationship to the next level, especially now that they were officially committed to one another. But she was woefully inexperienced, apart from the moments she had, to date, shared with Allan. She knew that he was well aware of this and accepted it, but she couldn't help feel embarrassed at her obvious innocence.
"I'm looking forward to going to bed," she admitted, quietly, and then blushed.
Allan took her hand and smiled as she met his eyes, shyly. "Come on, then, milady."
They shuffled off the bench and Roana followed Allan towards the stairs that lead up to the rooms. As they approached the main entrance to the inn, the door opened, letting in a gust of wind, and a tall figure entered. Allan immediately turned, and began to shivvy Roana in the opposite direction, pushing her hood up as he raised his own.
"What is it?" Roana struggled to look over her shoulder, and he placed a warning hand on the middle of her back.
"It's Bridlington," he hissed, as William's pompous tone could be heard behind them, addressing the barkeep. "We need to leave. There's the back door."
Roana shot out of the rear door into a small, walled yard with Allan hot on her heels. Outside, it had begun to rain, yet the air was still balmy. She looked at Allan in shock as he closed the door quietly behind him.
"What is he doing here?"
Allan rolled his eyes. "Getting a drink, by the sounds of it." He looked at her. "We will have to find somewhere else to stay."
She nodded, numbly. Pushing the yard gate open, he glanced around, furtively. Satisfied that there was nobody around, he grabbed her hand again and they made their way towards the stables.
The stable hand that had taken Pilgrim and Casper from them earlier was stood beside the main entrance, chatting to William's Master-at-Arms. At the sight of them, Allan paused and pulled Roana into an alcove on the side of the building.
"We're gonna have to try to blag them so we can get the horses," he said, his blue eyes wide and serious. "You alright with that?"
Pressing her lips together, Roana nodded, quickly, moving her cloak aside to show him the dagger sheathed at her belt.
He glanced back towards the stables and then looked at Roana, closely. "Follow my lead. Keep your head down, and. if anything goes wrong, run."
Roana nodded again. Drawing his hood closely around his face, Allan set off in the direction of the two men, a swagger to his gait, and Roana followed him, keeping her head down.
"Evening, gents. Lovely weather for it." Allan stopped before the two men, who regarded him, blankly. He looked at the stable hand. "I've come to collect my horses."
"Oh, uh. Well, they're bedded down now, my lord," the stable hand replied, haltingly.
"Well, can we unbed them, then, my good man." Allan grinned, keeping his tone jovial.
William's Master-at-Arms, who had been staring at Allan, suspiciously, suddenly spoke up. "'Ere, don't I know you from somewhere?"
Allan laughed. "Nah, I don't think so, mate. I'm up from London for a short stay. Never been here before."
The man looked from Allan to Roana, who was trying to edge away. He made a point of peering under her hood. "Lady Roana!" He glared at Allan. "I do know you! You're that outlaw!"
Allan laughed again, shaking his head. "No, no. I think you're mistaking me for someone else.."
He struck quickly, delivering a swift upper cut to the man's chin, who stumbled back, letting out an "oof!" and swaying on his feet. Allan punched him again, squarely in the face, and this time, he went down, crumpling into a heap at Allan's feet.
Allan turned to glare at the stable hand, who had Roana's dagger at his throat. "Are you gonna cause me trouble, too?"
Wide-eyed, the young man shook his head, fearfully, his complexion white as he looked from Allan to Roana. "Nuh-no. Not me. You want me to saddle yer horses? I'll do it, and pretend this never 'appened, squire."
Roana and Allan exchanged glances, and she relaxed her grip on his lapel. "Yes, please."
He scurried off in relief, and Allan grinned at Roana. "Only you would be polite at a time like this."
"Manners cost nothing, A Dale," Roana replied, primly, and stuck her tongue out at him. Allan raised his eyebrows, suggestively, and she slugged him on the arm.
"Ouch! Easy, woman. You might break a nail."
Roana laughed. "Stop it. Help me drag him into this stable, quickly, and then let's get out of here."
The man was heavy but Allan was clearly used to dragging unconscious bodies, and managed to pull him into the depths of the empty stable by his feet while Roana kept watch. The stable hand reappeared promptly with Pilgrim and Casper, looking a lot more enthusiastic.
"You're an outlaw, then?" he asked Allan, eagerly, as he handed Casper over. "Are you Robin Hood?"
Roana stifled a laugh as Allan looked at the boy, mildly unimpressed. "Nope. But he's a good friend of mine."
The young man's eyes were like saucers as he accepted a shilling, a grin splitting his face. "Wow. 'E's my hero. Tell 'im I said that."
Allan only just prevented himself from rolling his eyes as he mounted the restless Casper. "I'll tell
him as long as you tell me where Lord Bridlington in there is on his way to."
"'E's going to Nottingham, his man said," the stable hand imparted, eagerly. "Got some business with Prince John, I 'eard."
"We need to find out what this business is," Roana said a little later as they cut across farmland, following the River Trent, which would lead them to Sherwood Forest.
"Apparently, Prince John has raised the money for the black knights to assassinate both Longchamp and the king," Allan replied, darkly. "It worries me that Bridlington is getting involved."
"He wants his piece of the action," Roana replied in disgust. "Are the Sheriff and Prince John still in Scarborough?"
He shook his head. "They left this morning, apparently. I told Robin everything earlier. He said he has a plan."
"He suspected something was afoot, I think. We overheard William talking to his man on the road to Filey." Roana was silent for a moment, thinking. "I would assume the prince and Vaisey are staying at the palace overnight, which would explain William's presence in Howden. I bet they won't let him in at the palace. Too much of an embarrassment."
Allan looked at her and winked. "Brains and beauty. We need a bed for the night."
"There used to be an abandoned manor house along this road," Roana suggested. "We could probably shelter in the outbuildings, if it's still empty."
The manor house stood on the banks of the Trent, and had once been inhabited by the lord and lady of the small hamlet that surrounded it. They had deserted it a few years earlier when the foundations had begun to subside, and the river had risen and flooded the lower floors.
Luckily, the stables were still in one piece, and Pilgrim and Casper were settled before Allan and Roana decided to explore and find the best place to sleep.
Inside the manor house, the smell of damp and mildew permeated the air, and the bare floors on the lower level were stained and coated in mud. It was empty, though, and they managed to bolt the door behind them to prevent any unwelcome visitors during the night.
The second floor was a lot better, almost habitable if it hadn't been for the chill in the air from dampness and disuse. They found the master bedroom and Roana dug out some slightly musty-smelling but dry blankets from an old chest under the window, which she used to replace the dusty bedclothes. Dusk has fallen outside and the shadows gradually lengthened throughout the house until Allan found candles and matches, which he lit and left at intervals around the room, imbuing the dark corners with pockets of light. It was comfortable, and would do for one night.
"Better than sleeping rough," Allan announced, then looked at Roana, his eyes huge in the flickering candlelight. "Ro?"
She went to him with no hesitation, walking into his embrace and kissing him, hungrily. He pushed his fingers into her hair and cupped her head as he devoured her lips, leaving her breathless with desire. Roana rested her hands on his hips, tentatively, before sliding them up and under his tunic, impulsively running her palms across his warm skin. Allan paused and stepped back from her slightly so he could pull the tunic over his head. He threw it onto the chest and reached out to pull her against him, kissing her again. Roana slid her arms around his neck and he ran his hands down her back to rest on her bottom, lifting her up easily. Roana clung to him, winding her legs around his waist, and he moved across to the bed, where they fell onto the cool but clean blankets. And, for the next few hours, they forgot about William, and the Sheriff, and any plots to kill the king, and they finally found time for each other.