Chapter 38

Nottingham Castle, Nottinghamshire

The gloomy corners of Nottingham Castle echoed with footsteps as Guy of Gisborne strode determinedly along the corridor towards the Sheriff's solar. The black knights had arrived, and, later that day, the Sheriff would hold a meeting with all concerned about the impending trip to Germany.
Gisborne was aware that they would be leaving Nottingham for Portsmouth at any given moment now, and he worried greatly. Hood's plan to rescue the girls, and so give Guy the chance to flee the castle and the expectations of the Sheriff and Prince John, had gone awry when the Sheriff had hidden them away in a still undisclosed destination. That they had been returned to the castle, mercifully unharmed, was a great relief, but it did not leave much time for Hood and his gang to carry out their plan before Gisborne would be forced to leave for Germany, with no way of knowing if they had been successful. Therefore, he needed to ingratiate himself with the Sheriff and find out as much information as he could to pass on to the outlaws while he had the chance.
Of course, he had considered releasing the girls himself, but the guard presence in and around the dungeons was greater than it had ever been before, and his name was not on the list of those who had access to the cells with permission. There was no way he could get to Alice without the Sheriff being made aware almost immediately, and he couldn't risk the punishment that they would both most certainly incur as a result.
Guy needed Hood, something he had never imagined having to admit to. But it was true. The atmosphere in the castle was too volatile, and Guy had far too much to lose. He would do what he could to pave the way, and then place his trust in the outlaws to get the job finished.
Reaching the solar, Gisborne paused to knock on the door. Whereas before he would have walked straight in, now, he was often on tenterhooks around the Sheriff, knowing that the man no longer trusted him. Part of Guy longed for a return to their previous solidarity, but it was merely force of habit, and no longer an option. Alice was more important to him now than power and wealth, and treason, and there would come a day when Gisborne would have to draw a line under his relationship with Vaisey. The sooner the better, if it meant that he would have Alice by his side once again.
"Come in," he heard the Sheriff call, and entered the room.
Vaisey was just stepping from the bath, and Gisborne was treated to an eyeful before the maid wrapped a linen towel around him.
Gisborne dropped his eyes immediately, feeling a shudder of distaste run through his body at the sight of the Sheriff's naked body, which he was growing familiar with. Vaisey was shameless; why he couldn't have waited until he was clothed before ordering Guy to enter was something that had always baffled Gisborne. He wondered if it was a ploy to embarrass a newcomer, and wrong-foot them from the off. It certainly gave him the upper hand as the other party was left feeling awkward and uncomfortable.
"Ah, Gisborne," Vaisey said without a scrap of shame. "What can I do for you?"
Gisborne cleared his throat, risking a glance. Fortunately, Vaisey was now robed, and Guy was able to relax. "The black knights have arrived, my lord. When are we expecting to leave for the coast?"
The Sheriff crossed to the sideboard and poured himself a goblet of wine. He grinned at Gisborne. "As soon as I am ready, Gizzy. Are you saying we aren't prepared?"
"I— ah.." For a moment, Guy floundered. No, they were not prepared, because he hadn't been informed of a leaving time. But it shouldn't take long to gather what they needed. He drew himself up, thinking quickly. If he delegated tasks to the guards, he would have time to get a message to Robin before they departed. "I'm sorry, my lord. I was unsure of our time of departure. I'll get a carriage to the courtyard immediately and gather the men."
Vaisey raised a short, thick forefinger and held it in the air. "Ah, Gisborne," he said, casually, examining the nails of his other hand. "TWO carriages." He emphasised this by raising a second finger before finally looking Guy in the eye. "We will need two carriages. One for the prisoners."
Gisborne stared at him. "The... prisoners, my lord?"
"Yes, Gisborne. The prisoners." Vaisey enunciated slowly and clearly as if speaking to an imbecile. "They will be accompanying us on our journey. A little bit of leverage, eh, Gizzy? Make sure you do your job properly."
Dread settled into the pit of Guy's stomach like a heavy weight. "But, won't they hold us up, my lord? And why bring all three of them?"
"Because, Gisborne, I don't trust Hood. I'm not having him tearing into my castle in my absence and releasing my prisoners." Vaisey looked satisfied with his explanation. He glared at Gisborne, impatiently. "Now, what are you waiting for? Get everything ready, and quickly."
Gisborne nodded, and took his leave. Pausing at the door, he turned to find Vaisey watching him, his expression inscrutable.
"What about Carter, my lord?"
Vaisey waved a dismissive hand at him. "He's due to hang tomorrow. Let me know when we are ready to leave, Gisborne. There's a good boy."