New Wands and Horcruxes

"Get to your dorm and don't leave it

"Get to your dorm and don't leave it. I'm so so sorry."

harry pov

The next morning, Professor Slughorn and I met in Dumbledore's office to see the memory.

Dumbledore held the wand to his head the the glowing blue memory was slowly pulled out.

"Please, don't think badly of me when you see it. You've no idea what he was like, even then." Slughorn shakily said.

I nodded. I didn't want to promise anything. I have no idea how I'll feel after seeing how my potions professor accidentally helped Lord Voldermort rise to power.

Dumbledore carefully dropped the memory into the penseive.

I looked at both of them one more time before entering the memory.

We were back in the room where Slughorn had held the slug club. Only Tom and him were left in it.

"I was in the library the other night in the restricted section, and I read something rather odd about a bit of rare magic. It's called, as I understand it, a horcrux." Tom said.

"I-i beg your pardon?"

"Horcrux. I came across the term while reading and I didn't fully understand it."

"I'm not sure what you were reading, Tom, but this is very dark stuff, very dark indeed."

"Which is...why I came to you."

Slughorn looked down at the drink in his hand. It didn't seem like he wanted to answer Tom. I have no idea why he did.

"A horcrux is an object in which a person has concealed part of their soul."

"But I don't understand how that works, sir."

"One splits one's sould and hides part of it in an object. By doing so, you're protected, should you be attacked and your body destroyed."

"Protected?"

"That part of your soul that is hidden lives on. In other words, you cannot die."

A small smirk formed on Tom's lips. He turned to the fireplace in the room and away from Slughorn.

"And how does one split his soul, sir?"

"I think you already know the answer to that, Tom."

"Murder."

"Yes. Killing rips the soul apart. It is a violation against nature."

"Can you only split the soul once?" Tom asked as he twirled a ring he had on around his finger. It had a black diamond in the middle with a gold band. "For instance, isn't seven-"

"Seven? Merlin's beard, Tom. Isn't it bad enough to consider killing one person? To rip the soul into seven pieces...This is all hypothetical, isn't it, Tom? All academic?"