THIRTY SEVEN

It's been a while since I last updated and left you on a bit of a cliffhanger, but here you go... I hope you enjoy!!

2 hours later, and Ehsaan still isn't home. I've been worried sick, pacing up and down the house and checking out of the window every few seconds to see of he was coming up the drive. I've made him dinner, I've prayed salah, read some Qur'an, done the laundry –anything to take my mind off Amma's absurd suggestion and to pass the time quickly till he got home.

He hasn't answered a single one of my calls, and I knew he needed some space right now, but I need him too. Why is he pushing me away instead of allowing us to get through this together?

I'm sat on the sofa, positioned with my gaze out the window, my phone sat beside me, as I impatiently waited to hear from my husband.

45 minutes later, and still –nothing. Now, I was beginning to imagine the worst. What if something had happened to him? What if he'd been in an accident, or worse? We had barely spoken before he'd left, and I missed him desperately.

I'd received a call from Ehsaan's parents landline, but didn't answer, I can't face Amma after the events of the afternoon, and I'd also had a call directly from her, but I just let it ring out in front of me. My heart was torn open –the woman who I regarded as my own mother, who had welcomed me with open arms and made me feel like one of the family from day one, was now putting me in a position where I am essentially being blackmailed to take in someone else's child after the death of my own. It was heartless and insensitive to say the least.

My phone rang yet again, and I jumped instantly, hoping it was Ehsaan. It wasn't - it was Aaminah. Again, I let it ring out, but when she called me again seconds later, I had no choice but to answer.

"Assalamualaykum"

"Walaikumsalaam. Thank God you answered Aleena, I've been worried sick!"

"Is everything okay?" I asked her.

"I'm fine, it's you and Ehsaan I've been worried about!"

"Oh, why?"

"Maa's been trying to call you and said neither of you are responding, so I tried and I couldn't get through to Ehsaan or you –I thought something awful had happened!"

"No, alhamdulillah we're okay"

She paused, not saying anything for a few seconds, "Hey, Aleena, are you sure you're alright? It seems like something is bothering you. Is it Ehsaan? Because if it is I'll –"

"Aaminah don't worry about it, Ehsaan and I are fine –he hasn't done anything, I promise"

"You sound sad honey, I just want to make sure"

"Tired, Aaminah, that's all"

"Okay, if you say so. I wont keep you any longer then –tell Ehsaan I gave salaam and call me if you need anything –and by the way, a girls day is much needed!"

I laughed in response, "Soon InshaAllah"

I prayed my Isha as it was now getting earlier due to the winter months nearing in, and sat on my prayer mat reciting some more Quran, before trying to call Ehsaan one more time. I was getting tireless by now, terrified for his wellbeing, and even angry that he'd left without telling me where he was going and when he'd be back. I was lost in the unknown, and didn't know how to think straight without him by my side.

I called him and it began to ring, once, twice, three times. I almost gave up and thought to just hang up as it neared the end and he still didn't answer, when I heard an exhausted, "Assalamualaikum" at the other end of the line.