TWO

Another day, another headache.

But I wasn't complaining. As hectic as my job is, dealing with teenagers who wanted to be anywhere but at school, and training them to appreciate and have passion for their education which Alhamdulillah we are so lucky to have access to was a crazy job. At the same, I was responsible for these students education. And I was determined to do the best I possibly could to help them achieve the top results and lead them to bright and successful careers InshaAllah. As stressful as it was, I loved every moment of it.

It was halfway through the day, and me and Rima sat in the staffroom eating our lunch and  chatting with out other colleagues. My emails suddenly beeped, indicating I had a notification. I quickly checked it, it was from the principal.

"Sorry guys, but it looks like I'm going to have to leave you. I've been summoned by Mr Gibson himself." I said, standing up.

"Ooh did he say what it's about?"

"No, just that he want to see me in his office."

"Well good luck"

"Thanks"

As I made my way down to the headmaster's office, all sorts of thoughts raced through my mind. Had I done something wrong, has a parent complained, did I miss a deadline? I prayed as I walked that all was well and I wasn't about to receive bad news.

I took a deep breath as I knocked on the door. Bismillah.

* * * 

"Aleena, I've been looking at your stats and I have to say, I'm very impressed. Your students have the highest academic rankings and progress reports, and you seem to build excellent relationships with pupils and their parents. You're a very trusted member of staff and everybody that I've spoken to speaks very highly of you."

"Thank you, Sir", I stuttered, not knowing what to say to the compliments spoken by the old man I had grown to respect over my short time here.

"Now, it's not a usual thing to do, but I called you in here to discuss a promotion. It's not often that such a young member of staff who's only been here for a such a short time to be given an opportunity like this, but I simply can't ignore your potential."

I could not believe what I was hearing.

"Aleena, I'm offering you a position in our senior leadership team, you'll be pastoral lead for the school. It's a huge responsibility, but I'm convinced you'll do brilliantly. Will you take on the role?"

Oh. My. Allah.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

"Yes, thank you, Sir. It would be my honour."

He laughed, "call me William, Aleena."

"Of course, thank you again."

"Have a nice day"

"You too."

* * *

Lunch time was over, so I had to put on my action face and teach for another two hours - the whole time I felt like I was going to burst! I just had to tell someone the good news!

After last lesson I ran to the staff room and blurted the news out to Rima, who jumped for joy and congratulated me, repeatedly telling me I deserved it. Alhamdulillah for a friend like her.

Slowly, word was spreading among the staff and one by one they walked into the office to congratulate me.

"Come on girl, let's go celebrate. Dinner's on us tonight - our treat!"

"I'd love to, but we'll have to celebrate tomorrow, I've got a date with my little sister tonight!"

"Your family are going to be so proud of you, and so am I babe," Rima said, hugging me.

"Thank you, I love you, byeee"

* * *

We were in the car on the way to the mall, and I was contemplating whether or not to tell Saffa the news. In the end, I told her over our coffee and the entire cafe probably knew over the reaction she had! We then discussed how I would tell the rest of my family tonight.

After two hours of shopping we picked up Baba and headed home for dinner, laughing at Baba's stories all the way home.

Over dinner I told them the good news and everyone was so happy, Sami bhai hugged me proudly, Baba was over the moon and mama even cried! I was so grateful for the amazing family I had been blessed with.

We ate joyously and sat together as Baba told us about his trip until the phone rang and Mama went to pick it up. In the meantime, the rest of us went to pray our salah.

"Who was that mama?" Saffa asked.

"Zeba Aunty, Maryam and her family are arriving tomorrow, I've invited them all for dinner in two days time."

"Fantastic, her husband and I were very good friends back when we were in university." 

"Yes, we can all have a good get together. The kids can get to know each other too. Aleena, make sure you come straight home from work that day okay?"

"Yes Mama, whatever you say" I said as I hugged her good night before going upstairs and retiring for bed.

So, what did you guys think? How amazing is Rima as a friend? Who else has/wants a friend like her?

Hope you're enjoying so far x