Chapter 10 - Fun Facts About Humans

Start from the beginning

Luke frowned. He had thought that he'd have the same life span as everyone else so long as he stayed safe, but what was the point of being safe if he was going to live a short life anyways?

The Archduke stroked Luke's cheek. "You don't seem to like that." He noticed.

"It's okay, I'm just...Surprised."

"Well, they did die off for a reason."

"Right...Yeah..."

Nicholas moved his hand around and began rubbing Luke's back. "Want me to continue?"

"Yes please."

"Okay. Let's see...Everyone already knows that they didn't need to drink blood like we do. They also liked to go outside during the day. Their skin wasn't as sensitive to the sun and from what I read, they preferred the warmth anyways."

"Makes sense."

"But get this, their bodies didn't deteriorate over missing a meal."

Luke's eyes had slowly drifted closed from the gentle hand on his back, but that piece of information had him wake back up. Thanks to his Master's due diligence, Luke had never gone hungry long enough to worry about deteriorating like a blood starved Vampire. "What does happen if they don't eat?"

Nicholas shook his head. "Nothing. Not unless they went a very long time without food. Apparently they maintained a constant body temperature and were considered ill if it ever changed."

That was a relatively interesting fact for Luke. Somehow he had been lucky enough to avoid ever being seriously ill, and when he did feel under the weather, Frederick had never mentioned anything odd about his temperature before.

A Vampire's body only remained warm and vibrant so long as they were well fed. If they were ever blood starved though, their skin became cold and hard to the touch, their heart would slow to a near stop, and their complexion would turn grey.

He'd only encountered one or two blood starved Vampires before, and they were usually homeless people living off the streets in the larger cities. His Master had made sure to move them to places where they had a less likely chance of encountering such people again. Otherwise he could only imagine how they'd react if they knew Luke was a walking meal.

"What about their society?" He decided to ask.

"A direct question huh?" Nicholas pulled him flush against his body. "I suppose it was similar to ours. Except they didn't need smog to block out the sun."

Luke's body began to heat up all over again and he considered pulling away. The hand that was rubbing his back had him so comfortable though that he didn't want to ruin the moment, so he melted against the Archduke and rested his head against the Vampire's shoulder. "Do you know what changed? If they had lived so long and were resilient, why did they disappear?"

The Archduke went quiet for a bit and the human glanced up to find him deep in thought. "There were many rumors regarding that. The most interesting one suggests that they never died off. In fact, it was supposedly possible for a human to become a Vampire themselves."

"Really?" Luke asked, wide eyed. "How?"

"Don't hold me to it because I read this in a piece of fiction, but it claimed that if you feed from a human, then gave them some of your own blood, they would transform into one of us."

Luke gaped at him.

"I know it's ridiculous. It also contradicts a lot of the old stories. Especially considering how many scientists claimed that human blood was addictive. One drop was enough to drive a Vampire into a frenzy, so it's not like they'd be able to stop mid feeding to do the exchange properly."