The pale-haired Verando look-alike is not much for gossip. "The council is fighting the use of heroes to find it, there was a lead but there's a lot of red tape and finger-pointing. It's at a standstill I fear, but the enhancers are safe in lockdown, Lotta seems confident that we should see the end of the elementals soon enough."

Elementals were one of the biggest threats to our budding nations, for their power was unmatched now that our heavy hitters were gone. We had our heroes but underutilized, they seemed happier on their own than following government orders to stand and pose for pictures. "Any word on Caspian?"

Legardo shakes his head. "No. Leo and Landon are on it though, no need to worry yourself much." Taking the opportunity to take a small inhale, he dimples his cheek with a sarcastic smirk. "Still no wolf?"

I wrinkle my nose, twiddling my fingers to wave at Darius as he passes by full force with Silvia close behind him. "I'm trying."

"I don't have much of one either. It'll come."

"Since when are you so positive?" I already knew the answer to this, Pascal had been good for him, keeping him in line in a way that Tanya was incapable of. While I'm not quite sure of the truth behind their relationship, it would seem that they were at least happy in whatever it was that they had. If nothing else, she kept him honest and that was something he was lacking.

"I'm surprised Rhea isn't here."

"Not happy about the wedding." He summarizes, popping the lasagna into the oven and working on washing the plentiful bowls. I'm tempted to wave him off but I shouldn't encourage an argument with his father considering they were just starting to get along. Clutter, in what looked like a freshly cleaned house, would cause foul feelings. "How was the venue?"

The last bits of my buzz floated away, sobered by family and the realization that the onslaught I was prepared for didn't happen. It hadn't happened the last few times I'd arrived home. "Just like I remembered. I'm making them remodel the outside for a courtyard wedding, I've got to compose a guest list still, Lotta has sent out a lot of invites but there are some I want to make sure get on the list."

Political figures and magical users alike, I didn't think of her as a biased person but I didn't want to leave out any important piece to this grand puzzle. As if on cue, Verando appears down the stairs and I stiffen to hold myself in place as he places his hand on my shoulder and kisses first Xavier then my cheek. 

"Accomplish your goals at the venue? I got an email that they have to remodel?" 

He steps around me and I can't help but feel my face fall when I realize he's dressed to go out. Much as I'd been trying to withhold, it didn't mean I was happy about it- quite the opposite. "I was told I'm too tame so I threw my weight around a little."

 Legardo snorts, unimpressed. I sneer at him and allow Xavier to slide down my body and toddle off to play with Darius and Silvia. 

Carefully, warning him with my eyes, I approach to help him with the buttons of his dark button-up. He's in a simple dress shirt and dark pants, the scent of him heavy with body wash from a shower. Temporarily washed off the intoxicating scent, it was easier to be around him. 

"Are you leaving...?" I ask, as casually as I can manage. 

"Tiberius is having a party and a small private concert that I must attend, unfortunately. You know how I like to pump drunks for information. Landon is going to scout the place for familiars and see if we can't start connecting some dots."  

He rolls up his sleeves to his elbows, carefully creasing the fabric into a neat fold. 

I deflate in the slightest sense, but, noticing that he's watching me I try and look as passive as I can manage.