Chapter 5

That night I could see the human more clearly, our bond was definitely getting stronger. His  brunette hair mopped over his forehead. His beautiful, red lips parted in a smile. His eyes shining so brightly that for a moment, I thought they were green stars. His square jaw jutting out as his smile turned into a grin. I suddenly felt really self conscious, I never really had before because I never noticed men. But now I felt like I was so inferior to this magnificent creature, all I wanted to do was shy away from his beauty. 

"Kite! Kite! wake up" a ruff, far away voice screamed. I didn't want to leave my dream. In my dreams he was safe, he was mine. 

My eyelids flashed open, the sun's hot, white light burning my vision. I put a hand in front of my eyes. I looked to Manx who was kneeling in the branch he fell asleep on last night. His eyes were alert and searching the clear skies. His black wings hunched over him in a protective stance. His weariness made me stand on my branch and follow his eyes. 

At first they were black dots floating through the sky, for a moment I thought it was just my eyes messing with me from looking at the sun. But after blinking a couple of times they were still there.

"What are they?" I asked Manx, in hushed tones. Never keeping my eyes off the black dots.

"Rooks, they fly with the Odisee. Bloody scavengers! They don't normally come out this far into our territory. The human must be close, we better get a move on. Stay close to the trees. We cant be spotted." he whispered back. 

I nodded, and followed his move. He only used his wings to carry him onto further away branches, hopping through the dense trees. I followed him and bent the air to the will of my wings. I was used to this method from hunting, it wasn't the easiest of ways to get around, the urge to be soaring clear above the trees was hard to resist. But this was the only way of not being seen.

A couple of hours later, the forest was beginning to die out. The rooks still circled overhead, the distance from tree to tree was becoming larger. Manx kept a constant eye on the threats above us.

Just as I was about to jump to the next tree, my wings gave in. I feel from the branch and landed with a loud thud on the hard ground. The wind pumped out of me and I gasped to regain it. If my rib wasn't broken before, it sure as hell was now. I bit my lip, strangling my scream. My vision went blank, and then I saw him yet again. Lying on the ground, fast asleep. An angel. The pull in my heart felt so strong I thought it had jumped out of my chest. His surroundings were of little or no trees. He had to be close! And within a few seconds he was gone again. 

I groaned as the pain in my rib stabbed at me. Manx floated down to the ground beside me and carried me oer to the oak's trunk. The glossy. green leaves would hide us for now. He placed me in a cradle-like position between two trunks of the tree. I was still stifling a scream, tears rolled down my face without consent. My hands went to my rib and I could feel a lump. I gasped and looked to Manx for help. He very carefully, put one hand on my rib. I know he wasn't trying to hurt me, but the slightest touch made me cringe. 

"You have to stay here, You can't move with that. Where is he? Is he close?" He asked in a concerned tone, well a concerned tone for Manx that was.

My throat was tight, I feared if I opened my mouth I would scream. I simply nodded and pointed in the direction my heart was punching at. He pulled out my dagger and curled it into my fingers. The handle soon became sweaty from my hands. He gave me a stern look, as if to say just don't kill yourself before i come back. Giving him a weak smile he ran off into the direction I pointed. 

I was finding it hard to breathe, my intakes of breath were becoming interrupted by short stabs of sering pain. I slung my head back onto the rough bark of the root. I would love to be unconscious right now, to escape this pain. 

My thoughts drifted to the human. I prayed that Manx would reach him in time. If he was...gone..all of this would be for nothing, I don't know how I could cope. I was finding it hard to separate the pain of the thoughts of loosing him, to the pain my rib was causing me. Yelping as I took another breathe, I could feel the human dreaming. His soft, mellow thoughts were the only thing that comforted me. Pictures of metallic towers pressed tightly against each other, like a forest of steel. A Beautiful brown-haired girl with a round face filled with freckles lay in his arms, she was half asleep. Her eyelids closing under protest. Her sweet smile dug into his chest. This girl was human too? His sister perhaps.Why was he here alone? I feared the answer. Then the dream changed. A familiar face stood before him, with a teasing smile and joyful eyes. Light silver eyes. It was me! I could feel my cheeks burn with flatter and embarrassment. He was dreaming about me, in the same way I dreamed about him. 

My heart was smashing against my chest so hard I jumped out of the sweet thoughts the human was having. I knew that if I found him, this pain in my heart would stop. I knew my heart would always skip a beat, but at least it wouldn't hurt.

I had to put my faith in Manx, which was slightly hard to do. He had an obvious hatred for me at the start, although he wasn't glaring at me all the time now I still felt that he was uneasy with me. Then again, he seemed uneasy with everyone else. I hoped that I could trust him, he was all I had. 

Harris stumbled into my mind, why was he like this? He seemed so good. How could he do this to me! I wondered if I could kill him if he was going to kill the human. I gulped as I realised the truth. I could do it, I had already broken his arm. I winced as I remembered the feel of his bones crunching under my hands. 

"I'm sorry" I whispered into the still air. 

I looked up through the gaps in the tree, the sky was still relatively bright. It was probably about 4 or 5 in the evening. God, what's taking Manx so long. My stomach churned with worry. I felt so useless, sitting here in the arms of a tree while the human was out there...alone.

I sang a quiet tune, not sure if the Rooks were still hovering above me. I let the tune consume me and the lyrics roll off my tongue. 

After a few moments, a cracked twig caught my attention. I looked to where the sound emanated from. Adrenaline started to poison my blood. Making my heart rate climb higher. my fingers tightening around the dagger.

Manx walked out from behind the cover of huddled trees, followed by a figure in black. My heart gave one final thump against my chest, this was the human. He was so perfect. He was quite tall, and well built. He was wearing a pair of jeans and a black jumper. His piercing green eyes gazed into mine. His shaggy hair resting just above his brow. His full lips parting in a crooked grin. The most amazing part was his untouched back. No wings sprouted from his shoulders, no abnormalities. A tear of happiness rolled down my face. He walked over and knelt down beside me, I sat very still not sure what to do. He gently pushed away the tear from my cheek. His soft touch on my skin light a fire within my soul. I closed my eyes and prayed this moment would never end. 

My ribs hurt like hell, but I didn't care. This human was like a painkiller. He looked down at me with thick eyeleashes. 

"I have waited so long for you." He whispered softly to me. His words melted into me, making every part of my body feel bright. 

I knew I could never give him up. I would do anything to protect him, anything.