Chapter 10

My head was pounding, every twitch hurt. I opened my eyelids a little and white light seeped in through the gaps of my thick eyelashes, burning my eyes. I let out a low groan and pulled my hand over my face. I was so stiff, every muscle ached in protest of being summoned. I was lying down on my side on something hard and cold. My thoughts wouldn't come to me, my brain was still scattered. 

My eyes adjusted to the hot, white light. Blinking furiously I looked around me. I was lying on some sort of wooden bed? The sanded finish was smooth under my touch. I pushed myself up, ignoring my muscles plea. I put my hand on the back of my head, and to no surprise a hideous lump was moulded on my skull. It was a very large bruise, I shivered at the thought of how it got there.

I took in the scenery around me, a thick duvet of snow clung to the ground. The closely huddled trees shivered in the wind from being bare of leaves. It was the first time I had ever seen snow, back home it was always warm. Never this, bitter coldness. I looked around for something to throw over me. I seen my old clothes, and a large furry jacket. I thought I had my clothes on me? I looked down to see an elegant red dress hugging on my figure. The silk sliding against my skin, and restraining me from movement. 

I yanked the dress off me and threw it into the snow where it lay like a pool of blood, against the white canvas. I quickly shrugged my tank top over me and pulled on my combats along with my boots. Then put on the jacket that I had never seen before. I cuddled into my jacket and spread my wings out to their full capacity, and then hovered in the air before landing on the snow. It crunched under my feet, as I took a step forward. Leaving my footprint in fresh snow.

I looked at what I thought was a wooden bed, when in fact was some sort of cart. with a large harness at the end for something to pull it. Large paw prints trekked in the snow alongside two sets of footprints that resembled mine. The tracks headed off into a denser part of the forest, I wasn't abandoned here. Someone had come with me.

I knelt down and carefully traced my fingers over the steep curves of the footprints. The crackling snow nipped at my hands turning them red with cold. A sharp, cracking sound alerted my attention. I spread my wings threateningly and stood up straight. The snow managing to trap my feet. My heart started to beat faster, pumping adrenalin through my body with every erratic thump. My eyes scanning every gap in the dense trees, looking for movement. My ears scanning every tiny sound, but all I could hear was my heart beat and the crunching of the snow under my feet as I shifted my weight to try and get a constant 360 degrees view. 

A small wisp of grey fur moved from the corner of my eye. My head whipped towards it, a large, muscular paw stretched out skillfully from the cover of the camouflaging leaves. Followed by a huge, powerful canine frame. The same height as me. Its head low to the ground, its muzzle curled over it's knife-like teeth. Tuff's of dark grey fur erected on its neck. I seen its shoulder blades move in a slow, stalking rhythm. Inching itself closer to me. 

My hand crept to my belt, but the dagger wasn't there. Dammit. The wolf sensed my hesitation, a horrific snarl ripped from its throat. Its black eyes locking on me. I looked up quickly, the tree tops curved onto each other. Making it impossible for my to make an aerial getaway. 

I heard more footsteps, rushed and coming towards us. Hope dwindled, it was probably more wolves from this ones pack. Coming to help take down their prey. I seen the wolves ears prick backwards towards the sound. Its head raised and its muscles relaxed, I creased my brow in confusion. Then the approaching noise suddenly crashed into my sight. 

"Kite! Are you OK?" a man with a warm face and golden eyes asked me, his wings folded neatly behind his back. But they were twitching, indicating he was worried. A small woman beside him, clutched to the large wolf. Her hands tangled in its fur, as if she was caressing a small child. She had no wings? 

I looked to the man again, his golden eyes triggered my memory. I gasped and stumbled back as my memories flooded back to me, did I want Harris here? Could I trust him? 

"Fine, your mutt didn't kill me. So, I'm good." I snapped back and gave him a vicious glare. Folding my arms over my chest, a fresh wind laying a fresh bite of cold on my neck. 

"Kite.. I'm sorry." Harris stumbled, rubbing the back of his neck. His eyes pleading me to listen. No, I didn't want to hear it. Not now. 

"I'm going home, Daniel needs me." I growled and tracked my prints back to the cart. I planted my fists on the cart. Breathing a low, long sigh I felt weak. My legs trembled underneath me, my body tingling. I could feel fresh, hot tears prick at my eyes. I was near my breaking point.

"Kite, I'm sorry. I did it to protect you." Harris's voice whispered behind me. I spun around to him, my head swaying a little from the unexpected movement. Anger fueled my body, fire licking my blood. My heart was a hot, antagonised fernus.

"Fly away Harris! I don't need you, or your help. You have done nothing but cause me pain, and showed me how much of a mistake you were!" I shouted in his face, my wings outstretched and tensed. 

His face flashed with pain and I could see that what I said has cut him deep. Part of me just wanted to hug my brother and say sorry, to have someones familiar arms hug me and tell me everything would be OK. But that part of me was petrified of the face that had just risen within me. I seen the leather of the dagger on his belt, I outstretched my hand and snatched it from him. 

"You really don't deserve this, just because you took me from Falcon's home doesn't mean were even. I wouldn't of been there if it wasn't for you." I growled through gritted teeth. 

His eyes looked beaten and tears threatened to fall as his eyes grew shiny. His wings fell onto the ground, defeated and and deflated. I had broken our family bonds, he wasn't my brother anymore. He was just a stranger. I placed the dagger in my belt, and gave him a quick glance. His lips quivered and he looked aged, far older and in pain. 

I couldn't look at him anymore, I turned on my heel and spread my wings to catch the wind. Pushing myself upwards quickly passing through the tree line. I couldn't deal with the emotion that was swelling in my aching heart, it was just weighing me down and I couldn't risk falling. Not now. I decided to take the punishment out on my muscles instead. I pressed myself harder then ever before. My wings pulling the wind around me, defying gravity. 

After a couple of hours, the snow disappeared and the familiarity of plush green plains and tall, full trees sparked hope in my mind. My thoughts drifted to green eyes, and a beautiful wingless back.

Daniel, my mind echoed my hearts desire. Even in this desultory time, a smile crept onto my face at the thoughts of him. How does he set my heart aflame when I feel like I'm drowning in sorrow?

The dying sun hid behind the horizon, twilight creeping into the sky. I needed to get home tonight. Small stars glowed in the distant trees confirming that I was close to home. I gave everything I had and pulled myself towards the lights of my home. My heart warming at the thoughts of seeing Daniel.

I reached my small hut in the tree in no time, my hands familiarising themselves with my home. The homely scents assailing my nostrils. I walked into the hut and with a faint smile, I remembered how ordinary everything was just a couple of days ago.

"You're home." A velvety voice whispered behind me, I spun around to be met with a pair of sharp, green eyes.

"Daniel" I murmured under my breathe, my heart pulling me to him. A small smile played on his face. Relief washing over us both, he walked towards me in a single bound and wrapped his strong arms around me. In that moment I knew that he needed me, but I needed him more. I love him. My heart confirmed my thoughts. My arms wrapped around his perfectly untouched back and I allowed myself to bask in this moment of pure serenity. I knew it wouldn't last long.