Chapter 12

Bright images flashed, rushing past me. Quick glances of Daniel’s perfect, handsome face torn by fear and confusion. I knew I was dreaming, but I wanted to know where this dream would take me. The small girl I had seen him clutching to in a previous dream was there, holding his hand. Her small pretty face was also shredded with fear. Her light, brown hair flowed behind her as she tried to keep up with Daniel. Then there was red everywhere, the little girl fell to the ground. Daniel jerked around to see her and then knelt down and cradled her. Pain clawed at my chest, but I knew it wasn’t my pain. It was Daniel’s I was feeling.

“Please not her!” He screamed, his voice distorted with grief.

I couldn’t take the pain anymore. My eyelids shot open, my breathing harsh. Beads of sweat formed on my skin. I looked at Daniel, he was wide awake gazing at me. His face bright in the morning’s light. I sat up on the bed, my wings tight and tensed.

“Who is she?” I asked him, looking into his eyes. They were glazed over by sadness. His lip quivered and his face winced in pain as he went through the images I just seen. I stretched over and put my hand on his cheek, so much pain inside one person. And he hides it so well.

“I think she’s my sister.” He croaked, putting his large hand over mine. I relished in the delicious electricity that tingled between us. My silver eyes met his green eyes, and in that moment I could see my future. Even if I had no clue of his past.

“Daniel, I’m so sorry. I had no idea… there’s so much to you I don’t know.” I whispered, watching his shiny green eyes.

“I know, and there is a lot to you I don’t know. But I’m looking forward to getting to know everything about you.” He plastered on a smile, and I could see he was trying to put on a brave face.

My hand ran down to his chest and I applied a little pressure. His thin, green shirt was the only thing keeping me away from his skin. I could feel his broken-heart beating.

“Don’t hide your emotions from me. If we’re going to get to know each other it has to be with what we really feel. It’s OK to feel pain.” I told him, my voice a lot stronger than I thought it was going to be.

A genuine smile twitched at his lips, he shook his head in disbelief and his eyes glistened into mine.

“I’m only human.” He laughed quietly, some sort of inside joke? He put his hand to my cheek. My cheek instantly reddened from his touch.

“OK, let’s get to know each other then.” He smiled, scars of sadness still marked his face. But I didn’t want him upset, so I let it go. He sat up straight and locked his arms behind his head, giving me a cheeky boyish smile when he seen my mouth slightly open. I could feel my face turning scarlet.

“Do you have any siblings?” He asked me, my body tightened. Wrong question.

“Yeah, a brother. But we aren’t close anymore.” I informed him, praying he won’t take this any further.

“What’s his name? How old is he?” He asked me, clearly not satisfied with my answer.

“Harris, he is twenty-one. Four years my elder.” I scoffed, remembering how Harris’s face fell when we had last talked. I cleared my throat and rattled my brain for a question, making sure to avoid anything family related. I know he didn’t want to talk about that.

“How many mates have you had?” I asked, I smacked my hand against my mouth and felt my skin burn with embarrassment. I looked down at my boots, not daring to look him in the eyes.

I could hear him chuckling, the sound booming from his chest. My brow creased and I stole a glance towards him. He was wearing a perfect smile and his eyes shun with amusement. I sat back up against him, his body vibrating from the laughs.