Chapter 14

The Elder Tree loomed into sight too quickly, I wanted more time with Daniel. I liked it just being us, it felt better that way. I stole a quick glance at him again, his eyes were still shining with delight and a large childish grin parted his tainted full lips. His mopped hair was wind-swept and wild. The sight of him made me heart swell in my chest. He was so happy, I don’t want this picture to change. His eyes darted from what was in front of him to me, I blushed at being caught staring. His eyes softened and his smile transformed into a warm, gentle grin. He really was breath taking.

I dragged my eyes away from him and looked at the Elder Tree that was now in landing distance. I started rolling my wings back and flapping them against the wind to stop myself. Daniel watched me contently as his eagle found an appropriate landing place. I let my feet touch the large branch that I had landed on the first time I had visited the Council and tucked my wings neatly behind my back. So much has changed since then.. Daniel, Falcon and Harris. My heart constricted at the thought of my brother’s beaten look when I left him. I shook my head and pushed the thought a side. This is Daniel’s night I scolded myself. I walked to the familiar entrance to the Council’s Chambers and waited for Daniel. I gazed out onto the surrounding fields, the long grass swayed gently as the wind’s soft breeze caressed the strand and the sun’s dying glow reddened the sky and warmed my skin. Did I notice the world was this beautiful before Daniel?

“Ready?” Daniel’s voice pulled me out of reverie as I turned around to look at him, his hair was a mess sticking up in all directions. I let out a nervous giggle and walked over towards him and placed my hand on his hair and smoothed out his misbehaving hair. I had to stand on my toes to reach the top of his head, I was close enough to him to feel the heat emanating through his thin shirt and feel his emerald eyes take me in. His wet lips twitched into a smile as I tried repeatedly to smooth a stubborn piece of hair. I felt my lips widen in response. I make him smile.

Once the stubborn piece of chocolate brown hair was tamed, I let my fingers glide through the back of his hair and onto the back of his neck. I felt his large hands rest on my hips, my breath hitched at the delicious tingle of electricity that sparked through my body. My heart was thundering against my chest, trying to get closer to him. He leaned closer towards me and slightly parted his lips, I closed my eyes in anticipation only to be interrupted by the disapproving growl from Manx who was leaning against the curve of the entrance to the Chamber. His arms folded across his chest and his head cocked to one side. His black eyes consumed me with a disapproving look and his mouth was set into a thin, hard line.

“Inside. Now.” He growled at the both of us. I couldn’t help the grin stretching across my face as my cheeks burned scarlet. I released the back of Daniel’s neck and looked down at my feet awkwardly in an attempt to hide my smile. Daniel shifted to my side and snaked his arm around the back of my waist, I could feel his frame vibrate from the laughter he was trying to contain.

“Yes, Sir.” He responded sweetly, too sweetly. And pulled me with him into the warm glow of the Council Chamber. A gasp escaped my surprised lips as I looked around the transformed room. Small flowers decorated the ceiling and cascaded down the walls, their scent was heavenly. The room has a soft glow from the candles that burned in cut-away holes in the walls of the chambers. Large tables held food and beverages, a feast fit for a King. People hovered around the room needlessly second checking that everything was perfect. Daniel tightened his grip on my waist and I looked up into his gleaming, green eyes.

“Beautiful.” He smiled gently, his voice liquidating my insides.

“Yes, they did a great job on the room.” I returned his smile, my voice a little raspy.

He leaned closer to me and rested his lips beside my ear and kissed my earlobe gently.

“I wasn’t talking about the room.” He purred and leaned back and enjoyed the sight of my reddening cheeks and darkened eyes. I bit down on my bottom lip to stop myself from drooling.