Chapter Ten // Coffee Talk

March sixteenth. Something felt odd about this day. It was in the air, and I couldn't put my finger on it. Malia has been acting differently today. She hasn't said anything, nor made any suggestions, but deep down I knew. Today was gonna be something big and drastic. A warm heavy arm kept me close to the body of none other than Jared. He had early morning patrol, so once he was off, he came to relax and ended up falling asleep. The vibrating of my phone went off once again, indicating that either my mom or dad has messaged me once again. They’ve been calling, and messaging me, Jared, Sam, Emily, Jacob, and even Billy in search of me, but I told everyone to just ignore them. They’ve probably already figured out that I am no longer in England due to us leaving Carlisle’s vehicle at the airport. 

   “Baby..?” Jared's tired voice gained my attention. I looked down to see his eyes still closed. A smile covered my face as I placed my forehead on his. - “I’m right here.” I whispered. His arms tightened around me, as if he were scared I’d disappear again. - “Stay..” He managed to get out as he nuzzled his face into my side. I laughed at his childish behavior, but held him close to me. I analyzed his bare chest a bit, since it was to my view. I could see the many scratches that scattered around him. My brow knitted together, as I remembered he helped Sam a lot with new wolves and they can get out of control at times. 
The sun's rays peered through the window with a stronger glow of lights, that it hit his face. He instantly flinched back due to the sudden intrusion of light. I muffled a laugh, as the loud ringing of my phone caught my attention. 

   “Hello?”

   “Hey Joanna. I’m gonna go get some coffee from this small cafe. You want some?...and maybe we can meet and talk?” Bella’s voice spoke through the phone. You thought about it for a moment before nodding your head and replying. 

   “Yeah, um. Just give me a few minutes, maybe fourty, and I’ll meet you at LA Push beach. Is that okay?” I asked, looking down to see Jared already eyeing me. I leaned down to kiss him gently on the lips. 

   “Yea..yeah, um, that's perfect. See you then.” the phone call ended. 

     “What time is it babe?” Jared asked, leaning up and rubbing a hand through his hair. I looked down at my device to see the time read 12:31pm,

    “12:31,” He nodded, and a yawn passed through his lips. I smiled as I watched him try to get the sleepiness out his face. - “I got to meet Sam for more doggy training.” He joked. Shaking my head, I hopped out of bed and opened up the curtains all the way. 

   “Well, while you “doggy train” I’ll be out with Bella and will probably stop by and see Anggie and Jess. I’m sure they miss me.” I explain, looking out at the scenery. There were a few birds and in the big tree across from his house, and they seemed to be building a nest together. It looked like it would be a warm day today, so I’ll most likely throw on some loose clothing. 

   “Fine by me, just don’t get yourself into any trouble. I can only imagine how bad your punishment will be once your family finds you.” he says, tossing on a shirt and coming up behind me. His arms wrap around me, and pull me into him. I hum, not caring much about what he said. I already thought that over. I’d most likely be grounded for the next ten years, but hey. It would be worth it. I hope. 

…….

  “Thank you,” I tell the taxi driver as I get out and close the door. I was gonna walk all the way here, but Jared told me he’d feel better if I took a cab. So, just to keep him from worrying about me the whole time, I took the cab. I could see Bella up ahead, sitting on the tailgate of her truck. She looked to be deep in thought, and staring out at the sea. Her brown, long hair flowed around her slim figure. I sighed before advancing onwards. 

   “Hey Bells. How’s it going?” I asked, grabbing her attention. A small smile graced her face as she peered down at me. I looked into her eyes to see such a sadness behind those deep brown orbs. I felt ashamed of myself and my family, for doing this to her.  She looked back and picked up something. Turning she held out her hand with the coffee in it. 

    “All is well. I still miss Edw- him, but I’m trying to keep myself active and distracted for the time being.” I nodded, taking hold of the drink and observing it. 

    “I thought since it was a pretty warm day, that you’d favor iced coffee. It's vanilla and cream.” She said, causing me to smile. - “Thank you Bella, and I’m so sorry for...all of this.” I said, hopping onto the tailgate next to her. I crossed my leg over the other, and got comfortable. 

    “No, don’t be. It's not your fault. Trust me. I’m not mad at any of y’all.” She said, patting my leg in an awkward way. I could tell she wasn’t the best at showing physical compassion, but atleast I knew she wasn’t angry with me. A silence filled the air as we both sipped on our drinks and watched the waves crash in. The salty smell of the ocean, and sounds of seagulls kept the silence between us from becoming unbearable. I could tell by the small glances she threw my way, that she wanted to say something. She appeared to be biting her tongue though. 

   “Um, Joanna?” She finally spoke up. I immediately looked at her, giving her an encouraging smile to continue. She looked down and thought over her words carefully, before meeting my gaze once more and asking: - “How is he?”

Sighing, I grabbed hold of her hand and replied - “I wish I could answer you Bella, but unfortunately I can’t. You see, not even a week after arriving, where we were going to be staying, he left to go stay on his own.” She looked down and tightened her grip on my hand. I could hear her sniffling a bit, and see the small trail of tears flow down her face. I pulled her in, not knowing what else to do, and let her cry. She held onto me for dear life as she let it all out. Rubbing her back, I shushed her a bit to try and calm her down. We stayed like that for what felt like an hour before she finally pulled back and wiped her face clean of all tears, and smiled up at me. - “Thank you Joanna for being here for me. I haven’t been able to talk to anyone else who would fully understand like you do. Dad just tells me I need to move on, and Jacob. Well, he wants me to move on and..”

   “Get with him?” I cut in, already knowing where this was going. It was no secret the doggy boy loved Bella. Shoot, every boy in town wanted to be with her, but she had her eyes on one boy only. My stupid brother Edward. 

    “He doesn’t understand that I don’t like him like that. I never have. I mean, don’t get me wrong. I love him, but only as a brother.” She explained, taking her last sip of her coffee. Placing the empty cup down, she shakes her head. Letting a sigh past her lips, she stared out as the water. Her eyes slowly moved to the tall cliff that sat in the far distance. I watched her facial expression turn into one of thoughtfulness as she continued to look at the cliff. 

   “Well, he’ll soon have to realize that your heart belongs to someone else.” 

   “Yeah. I know, but I don’t want to hurt him. We’ve been friends for so long.” Bella hopped down and made her way to one of the beach's trash cans. She tossed the cup into it, and placed both hands in the pockets of her jeans. I slid down, my drink in my hand, and lifted the tailgate back up to close it. 

   “Hey, it’s going to be alright. I promise.” I leaned up and planted a kiss to her forehead. I mean, she was an inch or two taller than me. - “Yeah, I hope so. Thanks.” was all she said. She made her way to the driver's seat, and unlocked her truck. Right before climbing in, she locked eyes with me. 

  “Do you need a ride?” She asked, causing a smile to crack on my face. I nodded and made my way to the passengers seat. Bella started up the engine, and put on her seatbelt. She pulled out of the beach and made her way to the main road. I leaned back, watching as we passed many trees and buildings. A sigh left my lips as I looked down at my phone to see a text message from Malia. 

From Malia @ 1;10pm : Hey. I’m gonna be gone for a while. I’ll see you later tonight.” 

I turned my phone off, and placed it back into my pocket. Looking back out the window, I could see Jessica, Mike, Angela, and Eric walking out a restaurant. I smiled as I could see Jessica lean in to kiss Mike. They finally became official.