Chapter Forty

It was a week after I arrived back home and my mom had decided to throw me a welcome home party. I didn't argue with her because I wanted to see everyone and what better way than having all my friends and family under one roof. David and George's family had been invited, my three girlfriends and their significant others since for some magical reason they were all dating and a few other close friends.

I was dressed in a short green flare Ankara dress with a V-neckline and spaghetti straps. Since I would be spending most of the day on my feet I had decided on wearing a pair of white Fila sneakers for comfort. My hair was in its natural black color and tied in a pony tail.

"Anisha now that my brother is not in the picture anymore will you be mine?"Brian teased as we talked in the backyard.

Even though it was a painful reminder that David was no longer with us, it was nice to see that they had healed enough to joke about his death. It did feel wrong though but I allowed them since they were my brothers too.

"No because he'd haunt the both of us especially after what you did to his car."I replied.

"It's mine now."Brian smirked and I rolled my eyes.

I didn't object to him keeping the car since otherwise it would just be gaining dust in the garage. It was weird seeing someone other than David drive it but I didn't have the heart to tell Brian no.

Walking away from the boys I walked towards the dessert bar to grab myself a few strawberries dipped in chocolate. They reminded me of the night David and I first had sex, it was a good memory that I liked to dwell in to cover up the negative.

The backyard was decorated with ribbons, balloons and a huge banner welcoming me back had been put up. There were long tables filled with foods, drinks, a lot of different games including a bouncing castle, trampoline and lots of tables with enough seats for everyone.

"Hey girl."Kim greeted excitedly giving me a back hug with her boyfriend Mike in tow.

"Kim, thanks for coming, you too Mike."I thanked them as I hugged them individually.

"My pleasure."Mike replied smiling before he was pulled by my brothers who had gotten something stuck on the roof and needed help getting it down.

"I didn't know you were serious about actually dating one guy but you actually did it. You and Mike make a cute couple."I smiled at my best friend.

"Thanks babe, it's all thanks to you. You encouraged me and for that I say thank you."She said hugging me.

"Anytime."

We continued talking amongst ourselves until I realized we were running out of champagne for the mimosas and I walked back inside to get some.

My mom was in the kitchen with Sarah arranging the dessert and I stood with them talking for a while. We were interrupted by the doorbell and my mom asked me to get it. It rang again before I could get there and I opened it thinking it was another guest who was late.

The person standing on the other side of the door was the last person I expected to see and definitely a figment of my imagination. I slammed the door shut in his face not ready to deal with those demons again. No please, it couldn't be happening again after I had worked so hard to suppress those thoughts.

"Hun who was at the door? " My mom asked behind me and I just stood there shaking.

"A ghost."I replied because that was the only reasonable explanation I had as to what I had just seen.

The door bell rang again and my mom appeared next to me.

"Anisha I thought I told you to get the door."She scolded pushing me aside.