Chapter Thirty One

I stumbled out of the shower a towel wrapped around my body. I stood in front of the mirror and wiped the steam off it with my palm. There was a girl staring back at me. I was trying to figure out where I had seen her before. She looked familiar to me but I still failed to place her. She had hollowed cheek bones, her body was severely malnourished, her hair was in a mess and her eyes were sunken. I squinted my gaze and she did too and that's when I realized that that girl was me.

How had I let myself get to the point where I barley recognized myself in the mirror anymore? Oh yeah I remember now, my boyfriend got kidnapped three weeks ago and there was still no news of him.

I couldn't eat as I was unable to keep anything down, sleep eluded me too and if I did manage to sleep I was haunted by the images of David calling out to me for help. My whole family was worried about me, always walking on eggshells around me. I didn't blame them though, sometimes I had these episodes where I'd get into a fit of anger and start cussing at everyone while breaking things. After I had acted out and was exhausted I'd curl up on the floor in one of David's t-shirts and cry myself to sleep. I would sleep for a few hours at most before waking up screaming and calling out to him.

I was broken and the only person who could fix me was lost to the world. Derek has been arrested two weeks ago but he wasn't talking. David's old gang had all gone underground leaving no trace behind. Each day that passed I lost hope of ever seeing David again. Whenever I saw him in my dreams he looked so lost and tired. He never spoke much but I could see that he was hurt and worn out. I always begged him to on hold for me and each time he just seemed to be getting weaker and weaker.

I blocked out those thoughts and decide to concentrate on getting dressed. I got dressed in a pair of underwear and pulled on a pair of sweatpants, one of Davids hoodies that I basically lived in and a pair of uggs. I wasn't going somewhere but my grandfather had demanded that I join the family for breakfast even if I wasn't going to eat anything. I mostly stayed locked in my room but sometimes grandpa set his foot down and demanded that I get out.

I piled my hair into a messy bun before leaving the bathroom. I loved talking care of myself especially my hair but ever since David got kidnapped I just didn't have the energy anymore. Why bother if he wasn't there to appreciate it?

I found everyone in the dining room, all their gazes turned to me and the conversation stopped immediately. Five pairs of eyes all watching me like I was going to break the next minute. I probably was so I allowed them to stare. Caleb and Ken were back home healing from their injuries. My mom worked from home to keep an eye on me but it was no use because I barely spent any time with her. I stopped talking to George because anytime we spoke he always had bad news like he hadn't found David which was all the time. One day I snapped and told him to stop talking to me unless he was telling me that he'd found David. That was a week ago and we hadn't spoken since.

I missed him and my whole family but they weren't David and I wanted David. He was the only one who could fix me but he wasn't there.

I settled myself in a seat at the furthest end of the table from everyone else and pulled my legs to my chest. I knew I was behaving like a brat but I didn't care. If they wanted me to stop acting like I was they would just allow me to go back to my apartment so I could wither away on my own but I wasn't allowed to leave the mansion. My mom was afraid I would hurt myself or get into trouble.

I saw my grandpa give me a disapproving look from the far end table but he just shook his head and continued eating. He had said I should join them, perhaps he should have been specific about where I should sit too.

A smoothie was placed in front of me and I was going to push away but the glare from my mom had me pulling it towards me. When I drank something I didn't throw up as much so my mom made sure I had at least three smoothies a day. It wasn't the same as eating but it was enough progress.